Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Long Passagex   Social Sciencex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
Overall the passage describes one scholarly study, forged in battle, and then points out accuracies and potential misrepresentations of the study.

Question 4
A - I incorrectly selected A since the abolitionists are briefly described in P3. Although mentioned, the abolitionists aren't exactly a theme that's emphasised.
The study is based on soldiers' letters and diaries, and the general vibe of this passage is that the study is based on difficulties faced by the blacks. For this reason A is incorrect.
B in the first sentence of the second paragraph it is stated "Glatthaar accurately describes the governments discriminatory treatment of blacks...., appropriately emphasizing the campaign by Blacks to get the opportunity to fight.

It's easy to miss this, particularly when the answer isn't verbatim.
C is incorrect as it is briefly discussed as a by-product of the crappy combat assignments
D is incorrect as the motives are briefly mentioned, they aren't exactly central.
E is incorrect as it misconstrues the situation - discrimination was present all the time, not just during promotions.

Question 7
The author argues that Glatthaar over-exaggerates the pre-war racism while attempting to demonstrate the magnitude of the attitude change (whites accepted blacks)

A is incorrect because no distinction or argument is made. The author merely states that Glatthaar overstates things.
B is incorrect, the evidence is relevant but the interpretation is overexaggerated
C is incorrect, no motivations of particular individuals are referenced in this section. The error is in Glatthaar's representation of fact.
E is incorrect because there aren't two events. There's just a general situation and then the author's interpretation of that situation
D is correct because Glatthaar describes the conditions existing at the time using quotes etc. then provides his perspective, which, according to the author, is exaggerated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
LogiquestGMAT wrote:
pradeepss wrote:
Shouldn't the answer for 8 be A?

A. mentions present day traits for monarch is compared with past monarchs.

This is inline with what the passage suggest where author is pointing out the traits for white men based on history?

E. states that the politician actually engaged in corrupt practice similar to past politicians.

can someone convince me that E is correct?

Hi pradeepss,
This question expects you to pick an option that best parallels the same kind of logic / scenario mentioned in the passage.

The passage talks about generational chauvinism - to judge past eras by present standards.
It talks about judging the officers from past generations according to present day standards.

Option A talks about judging present day monarchs because of the actions of past generations : if you observe carefully, you realize
that option A is not an example of generational chauvinism.

Option E talks about labeling a nineteenth-century politician as "corrupt" for engaging in once-acceptable practices considered intolerable today.
This is exactly what the author describes as "generational chauvinism" to describe how the officers of the past have been judged.

Hope that helps,
Peo

Hi Logiquest,

Do you think you could explain why Q8 Option "clinging to standards of politeness..." can be discarded as an example of generational chauvinism?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MoulikaSaxena Notice that the correct answer explicitly states that the behavior was once considered acceptable, but is no longer viewed that way. It's not clear whether the behavior described in B was considered acceptable at the time, nor do we see any indication that it would be judged as improper today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 678
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hello, I am not getting enough confidence in reading and answering RC and CR question. Whenever I think that I am going to take a quiz, I can't give my full potential to grasp the topics of RC passages, because something is disturbing my mind and I can't resist it. But, when I read any newspaper or journal article passage normally without any pressure of timing or fear of answering wrong, I can give my full potential and I feel very comfortable at that time. When it comes to taking quiz, this problem arises. Can anyone give a good solution for this problem? Is this problem common for GMAT takers??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja, could you help in answering the 8th question.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Vaishnavikethar wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, could you help in answering the 8th question.

Sure! Here's the question:

Quote:
8. Which of the following actions can best be described as indulging in "generational chauvinism" (lines 40-41) as that practice is defined in the passage?

And here's the statement being quoted:

Quote:
By current standards of racial egalitarianism, these men's paternalism toward African Americans was racist. But to call their feelings “powerful racial prejudices” is to indulge in generational chauvinism—to judge past eras by present standards.

First, let's put this sentence in context. It ends the second paragraph. The author wrote that paragraph to challenge Glatthaar's statement that virtually all white officers in Black regiments had "powerful racial prejudices" prior to the war.

The author claims that this statement indulges in generational chauvinism, because many of these officers were abolitionists who supported civil equality for African Americans. Even if these officers' paternalism towards Africans Americans would be considered racist today, the author claims that according to the standards of their time, these soldiers did NOT hold powerful racial prejudices.

OK, so we're looking for an answer choice where someone in the past is judged negatively by present-day standards that did not exist in their time. Let's start our process of elimination:

Quote:
(A) Condemning a present-day monarch merely because many monarchs have been tyrannical in the past.

This choice involves judging someone in the present, not in the past. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) Clinging to the formal standards of politeness common in one's youth to such a degree that any relaxation of those standards is intolerable

This choice follows the behavior of one person from childhood to adulthood. It doesn't involve judging anyone in the past. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Questioning the accuracy of a report written by an employee merely because of the employee's gender.

This choice describes judging a person based on their gender. It doesn't involve judging anyone in the past. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) Deriding the superstitions accepted as "science" in past eras without acknowledging the prevalence of irrational beliefs today.

This choice is closer to the author's definition, but still off the mark. Yes, this action negatively judges people in the past, but it's not doing so according to a standard from the present day. Instead, it's negatively judging people in the past for a behavior that also exists in the present day. That's why we eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) Labeling a nineteenth-century politician as "corrupt" for engaging in once-acceptable practices considered intolerable today.

This choice is a perfect match! Negatively judging a past politician by present-day standards for corruption is very similar to negatively judging past officers by present-day standards for racial prejudice. Both cases ignore what standards for judgment were used in the past era, so they both fit the author's definition of generational chauvinism.

(E) is the only choice that reflects the author's definition in the passage. I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja

For question 4 - A is wrong because it refers to the authors perspective or his opinion of how something contrasted with the abolitionists beliefs - the question asks about Glatthaars book - reference point at the beginning of P2.

GMATNinja wrote:

QUESTION 7:

Quote:
7. Which of the following best describes the kind of error attributed to Glatthaar in lines 25-28 [In trying to demonstrate the magnitude of this attitudinal change, however, Glatthaar seems to exaggerate the prewar racism of the White men who became officers in Black regiments.]?

(A) Insisting on an unwarranted distinction between two groups of individuals in order to render an argument concerning them internally consistent
(B) Supporting an argument in favor of a given interpretation of a situation with evidence that is not particularly relevant to the situation
(C) Presenting a distorted view of the motives of certain individuals in order to provide grounds for a negative evaluation of their actions
(D) Describing the conditions prevailing before a given event in such a way that the contrast with those prevailing after the event appears more striking than it actually is
(E) Asserting that a given event is caused by another event merely because the other event occurred before the given event occurred

lichting wrote:
Can anyone please give me detail explaination of Q7?
I can locate the relevant information - the "exaggerate" part but still don't know the meaning of option D in Q7. Though I could choose it by eliminating the other options

First of all, great job using process of elimination! If you've found four wrong answers, then you've found the correct answer :)

Glatthaar suggests that the white officers had "powerful racial prejudices" before the war and that fighting alongside black soldiers during the war changed those prejudices (the black soldiers "fought their way into the respect of all the army"). In other words, Glatthaar suggests that the white officers were very racist before the war and much less racist after the war.

But the author suggests that Glatthaar is exaggerating this change. The author says that the pre-war racism of many white officers was not as "powerful" a Glatthaar suggests. Many of those white officers were abolitionists who spent years fighting AGAINST racial prejudice even before the war started. Those officers may have gained respect for the black units as soldiers, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the officers went from being racist to not being racist. They may not have been very racist before the war even started.

Quote:
(D) Describing the conditions prevailing before a given event in such a way that the contrast with those prevailing after the event appears more striking than it actually is

Thus, Glatthaar describes the conditions prevailing before the war (i.e. the prewar racism of white officers) in such a way that the contrast with their POST-war racism seems more striking (i.e. more noticeable) than it actually was.

QUESTION 1:

anish823 wrote:
How do we know that its referring to a scholarly study?

I assume you are referring to the first question...

Quote:
1. The passage as a whole can best be characterized as which of the following?

(A) An evaluation of a scholarly study
(B) A description of an attitudinal change
(C) A discussion of an analytical defect
(D) An analysis of the causes of a phenomenon
(E) An argument in favor of revising a view

There are many clues from which we can infer that this is a scholarly study. For example, in the first sentence, the author refers to Glatthaar's work as an "excellent study of Black soldiers and their White officers in the Civil War." Later in the first paragraph the author says that, "Glatthaar’s title expresses his thesis" (a "thesis" could surely be the topic of a scholarly study).

We are also told that Glatthaar's work "concentrates more intensely on Black-White relations in Black regiments than do any of its predecessors." So while the passage never explicitly refers to the work as a "scholarly study", it is clear that the work examines race relations in the Civil War era. This certainly sounds like a scholarly (or "academic") study.

More importantly, choice (A) is better than any of the other choices, which you should try to eliminate using POE.

QUESTION 4:

oasis90 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

4. The passage mentions which of the following as an important theme that receives special emphasis in Glatthaar's book?

(A) The attitudes of abolitionist officers in Black units
(B) The struggle of black units to get combat assignments
(C) The consequences of the poor medical care received by Black soldiers
(D) The motives of officers serving in Black units
(E) The discrimination that Black soldiers faced when trying for promotions

can you please explain why choice A is incorrect? I know why B is correct but I can't find enough grounds to eliminate A. After all, there is a whole parg dedicated to it.

Choice (A) is tempting, but take a second look at the last two sentences in paragraph #2. A White officer is quoted, but these sentences are discussing the attitudes of White soldiers, not abolitionist officers. Then, to demonstrate this "attitudinal change..., Glatthaar seems to exaggerate the prewar racism of the White men who became officers in Black regiments."

Yes, Glatthaar mentions the attitudes of abolitionist officers in Black units but only to make a broader point about the shift in attitudes. In doing so, Glatthaar "misrepresents the attitudes of the many abolitionists who became officers in Black regiments." So the point of the 3rd paragraph is not that Glatthaar gives special emphasis to the attitudes of abolitionist officers. Instead, the point is that Glatthaar's description of their attitudes (i.e. 'virtually all of them held powerful racial prejudices') is misleading.

Although Glatthaar certainly mentions the attitudes of these officers, were are not told that Glatthaar gives special emphasis to those attitudes. We are specifically told that Glatthaar appropriately emphasizes "the campaign by Black soldiers and their officers to get the opportunity to fight", so (B) is a much better answer.

QUESTION 5:

Nived wrote:
Can someone explain question 5. It says that Black units' disease mortality rates were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.

According to the passage, Black units served in rear-echelon assignments and worked in labor battalions. So, what exactly was the issue with the nature of "rear-echelon assignments and labor battalions"? I had the impression that the working conditions and hygiene issues were there, but this was not really related to "nature of duty", but more related to the living conditions. Where did I get it wrong.

csaluja wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

I was wondering could you please explain why Q5 OA is C? From the passage I was able to infer that Black units' disease mortality rates were high based on the following sentence from the passage "Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great". My question is how can we infer the bold part in the following sentence: "Black units' disease mortality rates were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.. I was confused on this latter part and ended up picking the wrong option because I was not able to infer that their mortality rates were high because of the nature of their duty assignments. Could you please help in regards to this? Would greatly appreciate it!

The author tells us that most Black units were kept serving "in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions. Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great."

The use of the word "Thus" allows us to infer that because Black units were kept in rear-echelon assignments and NOT given as many opportunities to fight (i.e. in the front), their combat death rate was lower. Furthermore, because Black units were kept in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions, their mortality rate from disease was twice as great.

Even though we don't know what specifically caused the higher disease rates in those jobs, we can infer that something about working in rear-echelon assignments and in labor battalions increased mortality rates from disease. In other words, we can infer that being assigned to these duties increased your chances of catching fatal diseases.

We don't know why that is true, but we can infer that something about those duties (i.e. something inherent to those duties... the nature of those duties) made units assigned to those duties more likely to contract fatal diseases. Thus, the passage suggests (though it does not prove) that the disease mortality rates of Black units during the Civil War were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.

Choice (C) is the best answer.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: Joseph Glatthaars Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
It took me 14min10sec to solve the passage.
Got 6/8 correct

can someone explain Q4 in detail, please?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]

Send PM
Re: Joseph Glatthaars Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 4

Sigmabeta wrote:
It took me 14min10sec to solve the passage.
Got 6/8 correct

can someone explain Q4 in detail, please?

Quote:
4. The passage mentions which of the following as an important theme that receives special emphasis in Glatthaar's book?

Question 4 asks us to find which answer choice is directly mentioned in the passage. Additionally, it must be an "important theme that receives special emphasis."

Here are the answer choices:
Quote:

According to the author, Glatthaar actually misrepresents the attitudes of abolitionist officers in Black units. He does this by basically ignoring the attitudes of officers who "participated eagerly in this military experiment, which they hoped would help African Americans achieve freedom and postwar civil equality." Instead of focusing on the attitudes of abolitionist officers, he "seems to exaggerate the prewar racism of the White men who became officers in Black regiments."

So, we can't say that the attitudes of abolitionist officers are an important theme in the book. (A) is out.

Quote:

In the second paragraph, the author praises Glatthaar for "appropriately emphasizing the campaign by Black soldiers and their officers to get the opportunity to fight."

(B) is looking good.

Quote:

Glatthaar does mention that Black units were discriminated against in regards to medical care. However, this isn't explored as an important theme of the book. The author mentions disease, but that's discussed as a consequence of the types of assignments given to Black units, and NOT as a consequence of poor medical care.

Eliminate (C).

Quote:

Again, the author of the passage criticizes Glatthaar for NOT delving into the motives of officers who serve in Black units. Glatthaar just says they are racist, while the author of the passage talks about their motives.

(D) is out.

Quote:

Glatthaar "accurately describes" the discrimination that Black soldiers faced when trying for promotions, but there's nothing telling us that this was an important theme that receives special emphasis.

Eliminate (E), and (B) is the correct answer to question 4.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM

----

Can someone explain why E is wrong?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MinhDo1104

Please see the post from GMATNinja directly above yours. If that doesn't address your concerns about E, feel free to follow up with questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Joseph Glatthaars Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
surat wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: RC 167 ~ 174
Page: 374

Joseph Glatthaar’s Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study of Black soldiers and their White officers in the Civil War, but it uses more soldiers’ letters and diaries including rare material from Black soldiers—and concentrates more intensely on Black-White relations in Black regiments than do any of its predecessors. Glatthaar’s title expresses his thesis: loyalty, friendship, and respect among White officers and Black soldiers were fostered by the mutual dangers they faced in combat.

Glatthaar accurately describes the government's discriminatory treatment of Black soldiers in pay, promotion, medical care, and job assignments, appropriately emphasizing the campaign by Black soldiers and their officers to get the opportunity to fight. That chance remained limited throughout the war by army policies that kept most Black units serving in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions. Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great. Despite these obstacles, the courage and effectiveness of several Black units in combat won increasing respect from initially skeptical or hostile White soldiers. As one White officer put it, “they have fought their way into the respect of all the army.”

In trying to demonstrate the magnitude of this attitudinal change, however, Glatthaar seems to exaggerate the prewar racism of the White men who became officers in Black regiments. “Prior to the war,” he writes of these men, “virtually all of them held powerful racial prejudices.” While perhaps true of those officers who joined Black units for promotion or other self-serving motives, this statement misrepresents the attitudes of the many abolitionists who became officers in Black regiments. Having spent years fighting against the race prejudice endemic in American society, they participated eagerly in this military experiment, which they hoped would help African Americans achieve freedom and postwar civil equality. By current standards of racial egalitarianism, these men's paternalism toward African Americans was racist. But to call their feelings “powerful racial prejudices” is to indulge in generational chauvinism—to judge past eras by present standards.

5. The passage suggests that which of the following was true of Black units' disease mortality rates in the Civil War?

(A) They were almost as high as the combat mortality rates of white units.
(B) They resulted in part from the relative inexperience of these units when in combat.
(C) They were especially high because of the nature of these units' usual duty assignments.
(D) They resulted in extremely high overall casualty rates in black combat units.
(E) They exacerbated the morale problems that were caused by the army's discriminatory policies.

­Hi ,
People who are selecting OPTION A in Question 5.  Below is the reasoning
Quote:
Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in this war, was twice as great

Say total  death =100
White combat death = 30----------------------------------------------------------------------------------1
Black combat death= 10 (1/3 rd of 30)-----------------------------------------------------------------2

Deaths due to diesease of Black units = 2*10 = 20---------------------------------3

From 1,2 and 3 we cannot conclude that "They were almost as high as the combat mortality rates of white units" because 20(death due to disease) is not almost as high as 30 (death due to combat)

Regards­­
GMAT Club Bot
Joseph Glatthaars Forged in Battle is not the first excellent study o [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts