Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [31]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [5]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [3]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Josh has a big drawer full of 40 packets, each containing a marker [#permalink]
Kudos
From the question stem, we are able to get the following details
1. Each sealed packet has a marker - Red, Blue, Or Black(which we can't see from outside)
2. 23 of the 40 packets have a black marker. Therefore, Blue + Red = 17

1. Statement 1 tells us that Blue < Red
Case 1: Red = 13, Blue = 4
Case 2: Red = 10, Blue = 7
Case 3: Red = 9, Blue = 8
We cannot come to a unique value for the number of packets containing Blue markers (Insufficient)

2. If he needs to withdraw 20 markers to have 8 of a color,
2 cases are possible such that 8 markers of either color can be taken out.
Case 1: Red = 12, Blue = 5
Case 2: Red = 5, Blue = 12
We cannot come to a unique value for the number of packets containing Blue markers (Insufficient)

Combining the information from both the statements,
the only option possible is Black = 23, Blue = 5, Red = 12 (Sufficient - Option C)
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [3]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Josh has a big drawer full of 40 packets, each containing a marker [#permalink]
Kudos
aserghe1 wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
Case 1: Red = 9, Blue = 8
Case 2: Red = 8, Blue = 9
We cannot come to a unique value for the number of packets containing Blue markers(Insufficient)

What if Josh selects 7 black, 7 blue, 6 red? In that case, he will not have 8 markers of any one color.

Here's what I did...
40 packets
23 of them have black markers
(# of packets with red markers) + (# of packets with blue markers) = 17
We're asked to find the # of packets with blue markers.

Statement 1
(# of packets with blue markers) < (# of packets with red markers)
We can have (7 blue, 10 red), or (6 blue, 11 red).
Insufficient

Statement 2
This means that when Josh selects 19 packets, he is not guaranteed to have 8 packets of any one color. In the worst case scenario, Josh will select 7 packets of one color, 7 packets of another, and 5 packets of another color (total selected = 19 packets). The 20th packet he selects MUST give him 8 packets of one color, thus one of the colors must have 5 packets. So we either have (5 red, 12 blue) or (12 red, 5 blue).
Insufficient

Combine Statements 1 & 2
Per Stmt 1: red < blue
Per Stmt 2: (5 red, 12 blue) or (12 red, 5 blue)
Combined, we get 5 red, 12 blue

Answer: C

Have corrected my solution. Thanks for noticing aserghe1

I mistook the question "he needs to draw minimum 20 packets to ensure that he has exactly
8 markers of any single color out of red, blue, black." and thought it meant that he could take
8 of any color. But as you rightly pointed out there is a possibility that he may not have 8 of
either color if I used the numbers for markers: Black - 23, Red - 8, Blue - 9
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Josh has a big drawer full of 40 packets, each containing a marker [#permalink]
Kudos
Anush56 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma
Can you please help me out with this question ?
I'm not understanding how from the second condition we can assume the below
I saw a similar question in Veritas question bank.

From the second statment you can conclude that red or blue must be 5.
If red or blue could be 6 then the second statment would be false because choosing 20 packets the combination black:7, red:7 and blue:6 would be possible and you does not have 8 markers of a single coluor.
We can also conclude that red or blue can not be 4 because the minimum would be 19 packets and not 20 as the statment says.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Josh has a big drawer full of 40 packets, each containing a marker [#permalink]
Why are considering Combinations of (12 & 5) only ?
Why it can't be (11&6) or (10&7)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
From the question stem, we are able to get the following details
1. Each sealed packet has a marker - Red, Blue, Or Black(which we can't see from outside)
2. 23 of the 40 packets have a black marker. Therefore, Blue + Red = 17

1. Statement 1 tells us that Blue < Red
Case 1: Red = 13, Blue = 4
Case 2: Red = 10, Blue = 7
Case 3: Red = 9, Blue = 8

Combining the information from both the statements,
the only option possible is Black = 23, Blue = 5, Red = 12 (Sufficient - Option C)

Not certain how statement 2 results to Options of 12R,5B or 12B, 5R. Can it not be 11R,6B or 11B,6R this option also agrees to the statement of 8 of any one color. What am i missing here ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hello VeritasKarishma
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Anush56 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma

Think of it this way -

Stmnt 2 tells you that you need to withdraw 20 markers to ensure that you have at least 8 of the same colour.

So this means that you could pick 19 markers and still not have 8 of the same colour. But when you pick the 20th, you MUST have 8 of a colour.

So then, worst case scenario, how many of what colour markers could this 19 be such that the 20th has to ensure that you have 8 markers of 1 colour, no matter which marker you pick next?
We would assume that this happens in case we have 7 markers of all colours so that when we pick the next marker, it gives us 8 of one of the colours but that is not possible since we have only 19 markers. This means we must have total only 5 markers of one colour and 7 of the other two to make up 19. Now the leftover markers would only be of the other two colours. So whichever marker we pick next, it will give us 8 of one of the two other colours.

Since we know there are 23 black markers, it means we have only 5 markers of either red or blue.
If we have 5 red markers, then we have total 12 blue markers.
If we have 5 blue markers, then we have total 12 red markers.
Either case is possible.

Thank you so much ! This helps a lot. I find Min/ Max problems always tricky and addition when the question relates to maximizing or minimizing a certain quantity makes it all the more stressful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q84 V86 DI87
GRE 1: Q170 V168
GPA: 3.25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Prompt:
Let Black=B, Blue=E, Red=R

B+E+R=40
B=23

This gives us

E+R = 17

We need to find E

1) E < R. Insufficient. (E,R) can be (1,16),(2,15) and so on.
2) Start with worst case scenario, you end up with 7 of each color. If this is the case, then you need to draw 22 pens (7 of each color, to guarantee next marker will be the 8th of a color). We however only need to draw 20. This means we we have either:

7+ = 7 or more

7+, 6, 6 (draw 12 from the two colors with 6 markers each, 7 from the 7+ color, and you're guaranteed 8th of the 7+ color on the 20th draw)
or
7+, 7+, 5 (draw 5 of the color with 5 markers, 7 from each of the 7+, then 20th marker is 8th of either of the 7+ colors)

Black is 23, so it's one of the 7+
This means 7+,6,6 combination is impossible because 6+6= 12 !=17 that we need for E+R

(E,R) can be (12,5) or (5,12)

2) is insufficient

Combine 1) and 2) and we see (E,R) = (5,12) and we have 5 blue markers.

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V24
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Anush56 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma

Think of it this way -

Stmnt 2 tells you that you need to withdraw 20 markers to ensure that you have at least 8 of the same colour.

So this means that you could pick 19 markers and still not have 8 of the same colour. But when you pick the 20th, you MUST have 8 of a colour.

So then, worst case scenario, how many of what colour markers could this 19 be such that the 20th has to ensure that you have 8 markers of 1 colour, no matter which marker you pick next?
We would assume that this happens in case we have 7 markers of all colours so that when we pick the next marker, it gives us 8 of one of the colours but that is not possible since we have only 19 markers. This means we must have total only 5 markers of one colour and 7 of the other two to make up 19. Now the leftover markers would only be of the other two colours. So whichever marker we pick next, it will give us 8 of one of the two other colours.

Since we know there are 23 black markers, it means we have only 5 markers of either red or blue.
If we have 5 red markers, then we have total 12 blue markers.
If we have 5 blue markers, then we have total 12 red markers.
Either case is possible.

Why Is this case not possible Red=9, blue 8 which adds to 17 and balance 3 markers are picked up from 23 black markers?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts