GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role play

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role play  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 11:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:18) correct 14% (01:09) wrong based on 37 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role played by teaching poetry at the elementary school level. Asking students learning the fundamentals of a language to read and understand poetry written in it is akin to asking students who cannot count to solve a highly complex Math equation. Also most of the poems taught at the elementary school level are not appropriate for students of that age as _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which of the following, if true, most logically completes the passage above?

A
students in general appreciate other forms of engagements with art such as dramatics and story-writing.

B
these students have not developed skills to access and research on the internet and learn more about the poems they are taught.

C
these poems are written on mature subjects such as loneliness, social-ills etc.

D
most of the teachers in elementary schools do not have a single field of specialization and teach multiple subjects.

E
such poems have very minimal use of linguistic expressions such as usage of metaphors and analogies.

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role play  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 12:11
Cbirole wrote:
Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role played by teaching poetry at the elementary school level. Asking students learning the fundamentals of a language to read and understand poetry written in it is akin to asking students who cannot count to solve a highly complex Math equation. Also most of the poems taught at the elementary school level are not appropriate for students of that age as _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which of the following, if true, most logically completes the passage above?

A
students in general appreciate other forms of engagements with art such as dramatics and story-writing.
Close contender. will keep it.

B
these students have not developed skills to access and research on the internet and learn more about the poems they are taught.
Irrelevant.

C
these poems are written on mature subjects such as loneliness, social-ills etc.
Good One. Strong Contender. Keep it.

D
most of the teachers in elementary schools do not have a single field of specialization and teach multiple subjects.
Out of scope.

E
such poems have very minimal use of linguistic expressions such as usage of metaphors and analogies.
Irrelevant.

Out of A and C.
We have to find an answer that has to do something with age and poetry.
Option C brings out this contrast very well.
Hence, Answer :C

-- --
R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role play  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 12:38
Do you have the OE? I'm confused between C and E; both deals with poems.
mikemcgarry ,

Would you please pitch in?
Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 13:12
TaN1213 wrote:
Do you have the OE? I'm confused between C and E; both deals with poems.
mikemcgarry ,

Would you please pitch in?
Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

TaN1213 Sorry to barge in, but my 2 cents:

Answer Choice E says "such poems have very minimal use of linguistic expressions such as usage of metaphors and analogies."
The argument specifically mentions that "Asking students learning the fundamentals of a language to read and understand poetry written in it is akin to asking students who cannot count to solve a highly complex Math equation"

So one reason the author cites to not to teach poetry is the complex language involved in it. while the students are still learning the fundamentals, schools want them to comprehend tough and complex expressions.

Answer Choice E mentions just the opposite, that the poem uses metaphors and analogies to a very limited extent.
Hence, it can not be right answer !

-- --
R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Re: Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role play &nbs [#permalink] 02 Aug 2018, 13:12

Journalist: Education systems sincerely need to evaluate the role play

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap