It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 143

Re: Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2014, 04:10
doesn't "denied" show here command subjunctive?? and if so, "that" is required.
also, can someone explain the difference between use of rather than and instead of.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 143

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 00:07
nero44 wrote:
Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to a hotel.

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to
(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to
(C) under which memebrs of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in
(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in
(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
OG Verbal Review 2, SC#93

Parallelism; Logical predication

The logic of this sentence has two possible options for the members of the jury: they can go home or be confined to a hotel. The first option is expressed using the infinitive to go home; the second option should use the parallel form (to understood) be confined. Since the members of the jury are not doing the confining themselves, the passive form must be used. The construction x instead of y, when x and y are infinitives, is clumsy; the idiomatic construction x rather than y is better here. Both constructions require x and y to be parallel.

(A) The passive form to be confined is required. To allow members of the jury . . . to confne them illogically indicates that the jurors are doing the confining.
(B) The infinitive form to be confned is required, rather than the past participle. The sentence is awkward and wordy.
(C) Members of the jury is the illogical object in confning them. Confining is not parallel to to go home.
(D) The noun confinement is not parallel to to go home.
(E) Correct. Be confined to uses the infinitive form just as to go home does; the to before be confined is understood and does not need to be repeated. The x rather than y construction is appropriately used in this sentence.

The correct answer is E.

very hard, I missed this one.

"to confine" is not parallel to "to allow". but is it not easy to realize this non paralelness.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 05:49
Isn't answer E ambiguous?

One could understand that Judge Bonham denied some random motion that has no connection to the rest of the sentence in order to allow members to go home.

For that reason I think a formulation such as "...denied a motion THAT would have allowed..." would be more suitable, as it would unambiguously describe the specific motion.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 15:46
Gogoplata wrote:
Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of
to confine them to a hotel.
(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to
(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to
(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining
them in
(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in
(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to

E for several reasons.
An easy way to start is the use of rather/instead of. Rather is the obvious choice. This leaves D,E. E is correct (parallel structure, concise) for many reasons, while D is awkward and wordy.

PLEASE UNDERLINE THE SECTION THAT NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 17:55
was thinking between D and E...
saw the parallelism ''to go home'', ''to be confined''
so i chose E

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 07:35
ak_idc wrote:
OA is E

OE:

In this sentence, members of the jury are presented with two options: they may (1) go home or (2) be confined to a hotel. The rejected motion would have allowed them to do the first rather than [to] suffer the second.
Members of the jury must be the logical subject of both options, and both must be expressed in parallel form, that is, as infinitive clauses. E, the best choice, observes these requirements. In A and C, the phrase members
of the jury is not the logical subject of the second option, to confine them or confining them, since jury members are not doing the confining. In B and D, confined and confinement are not infinitives and thus do not parallel to go in the first option.

Great explanation. Although I didn't got the right answer I realised that the subjet for the two actions: to go and to confine, must be the same.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 01:51
The problem is more to do with Active vs Passive structure. The second half of the sentence can only take passive structure. 'be confined'

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 20:53
Correct Answer: E Selected Answer: D Parallelism; Logical predication The logic of this sentence has two possible options for the members of the jury: they can go home or be confined to a hotel. The first option is expressed using the infinitive to go home; the second option should use the parallel form (to understood) be confined. Since the members of the jury are not doing the confining themselves, the passive form must be used. The construction x instead of y, when x and y are infinitives, is clumsy; the idiomatic construction x rather than y is better here. Both constructions require x and y to be parallel.

A The passive form to be confined is required. To allow members of the jury … to confine them illogically indicates that the jurors are doing the confining.
B The infinitive form to be confined is required, rather than the past participle. The sentence is awkward and wordy.
C Members of the jury is the illogical object in confining them. Confining is not parallel to to go home.
D The noun confinement is not parallel to to go home.
E Correct. Be confined to uses the infinitive form just as to go home does; the to before be confined is understood and does not need to be repeated. The x rather than y construction is appropriately used in this sentence.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 09:30
Overall a tricky question. I was looking to change the meaning of the original sentence and make is direct, using action verbs, more clear. But after reading the explanation from the book and the posts in this website, I understand that the passive tone is something required for this senternce. Also, I learned that "x rather than y" is a preferred parallelism vs "x instead of y" .

Split1) Parallelism. "x instead of y" vs "x rather than y". The gmat prefers the use of "x rather than y". The difference between the two is that "x instead of y" = tangible things = noun. "x rather than y" = intangible = verbs. Also, does the original sentence intention is to keep a passive tone? I would say yes. Yet, I am curious whether we can change the meaning altogether to a more direct form if possible. I read that in this sentece the passive tone is preferred because "the members of the jury are not doing the confinement themselves" so a passive tone is required. A, B, C, and D are out.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 88

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 11:44
A general doubt::

Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to a hotel.

(C) under which memebrs of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in

I'm confused about B - is the usage of past perfect incorrect? There are two events occuring and the earlier one takes past perfect?. (B is incorrect as instead of is used)

In E -- how is (be confined parallel to go home??)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 88

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 350

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 22:13
I choose E based in Subjunctive Mood , apart from idiom... Experts please correct me if it does not comes under Subjunctive Mood and i did wrong analyses , because in whole discussion no body mentioned anything about the Subjunctive Mood ...
sayantanc2k

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 3794 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mbaprep2016 wrote:
I choose E based in Subjunctive Mood , apart from idiom... Experts please correct me if it does not comes under Subjunctive Mood and i did wrong analyses , because in whole discussion no body mentioned anything about the Subjunctive Mood ...
sayantanc2k

No, there is no subjunctive mood in option E - you are probably misguided because of "be confined". Here "be confimed" is not a verb in subjunctive mood. It is an infinitive in parallel with "go home" - "to" is outside the parrallel structure (X rather than Y) and hence covers both "go home" and "be confined".

..allowed memebers of the jury to (go home) rather than (be confined). X = "go home", Y = "be confined".

Kudos [?]: 3794 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 11:05
sayantanc2k wrote:
mbaprep2016 wrote:
sayantanc2k

No, there is no subjunctive mood in option E - you are probably misguided because of "be confined". Here "be confimed" is not a verb in subjunctive mood. It is an infinitive in parallel with "go home" - "to" is outside the parrallel structure (X rather than Y) and hence covers both "go home" and "be confined".

..allowed memebers of the jury to (go home) rather than (be confined). X = "go home", Y = "be confined".

thanks sayantanc2k .

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1128 [0], given: 93

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 21:03

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to - Parallelism issue
(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to - Parallelism issue
(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in - Parallelism issue ; usage of present tense are is incorrect
(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in - Parallelism issue - to got home is not parallel to confinement
(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to- Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1128 [0], given: 93

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 55

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 20:03
nero44 wrote:

IN GMAT RATHER THAN USED BETWEEN TWO VERBS(ACTIONS, PHRASES), INSTEAD OF USED BETWEEN TWO NOUNS
so A,B and C can be eliminated .
Between D and E rather than confined to is better than confined in .

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to -

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 55

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 53

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 20:36
Use rather than when weighing alternatives and use Instead of in case of conditions.

nero44 wrote:
nice one guys, OA is E

I screwed this one up and took A because I was thinking:

to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them

verb paralellism

But x rather than y is better.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 53

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 22:33
aurobindomahanty wrote:
IN GMAT RATHER THAN USED BETWEEN TWO VERBS(ACTIONS, PHRASES), INSTEAD OF USED BETWEEN TWO NOUNS

Indeed, instead of is a preposition (after all, it ends with preposition of) and hence, must be followed by a Noun/Pronoun.

The tricky thing to remember is that Rather than is actually quite flexible and can also be followed by Noun.

For example, in the following sentence, rather than is followed by a noun (a type):

Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the Australian egg-laying mammals of today are a branch of the main stem of mammalian evolution rather than a type that developed independently from a common ancestor of mammals more than 220 million years ago.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Instead of Vs Rather than, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 23:11
Antmavel wrote:
nero44 wrote:
nice one guys, OA is E

I screwed this one up and took A because I was thinking:

to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them

verb paralellism

But x rather than y is better.

did the same mistake :oops:

'Instead of ' is used to compare objects or nouns.
Eg. Instead of coffee, I prefer tea.
I would rather drink tea than coffee. Here, 'rather than' compares verb or activity.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 23:15
ak_idc wrote:
(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining
them in

I'm surprised this question stem did not use a text in the answer bulletin such

Judge Bonham denied a motion allowing members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confining the members/them in a hotel.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 08:29

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to
(B) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to
(C) to allow members of the jury going home at the end of each day rather than being confined to
(D) that would allow members of the jury going home at the end of each day rather than being confined to
(E) to allow members of the jury a homevisit at the end of each day instead of a confinment to
(F) allowing members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to
(G) ,allowing members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to

I am posting this modified version of an official GMAT question in order to discuss the questions that are bothering me and that nobody has answered in the former posts.

Firstly Ambiguity:
Is it 100% clear that the part to allow members of the jury to go home is the purpose of the motion, repectively what the motion was placed for?
What about the idea that the judge's purpose was to allow members of the jury to go home and therefore he denied the motion that demanded the opposit.
Certainly, we know from outside knowledge that jury has to decide unbiased from public's opinion and is "confined" in safety by default, so it would be strange posing a motion to confine them, but without that knowledge or in another context both meanings might be possible.

Secondly Infinitiv vs Gerund:
Allow usually demands a gerund instead of an Infinitive, but maybe, as to allow is no true verb, this is simply a wrong inference.

I am really tense to read your reasoning (or is it reading your reasoning).

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 24

Re: Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2017, 08:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 81 posts ] 

Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap