It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 04:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2012
Posts: 123

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 08:44
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:43) correct 49% (02:04) wrong based on 175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade for sentencing criminals to make amends for their crimes—for example, by apologizing to the victim—rather than sending them to jail. He argues that the rate of recidivism, or the likelihood that the criminal will commit another offense, is only 15% when he does so, while the average rate of recidivism in the country as a whole is above 35%. Judge Brown thus argues that the criminal justice system is most effective when criminals make amends for their crime, rather than serving time.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports Judge Brown’s claim?
A. The majority of the defendants that the judge sees are already repeat offenders who are statistically more likely to continue their offenses.
B. The offenders who went on to commit a crime after making amends were less likely to commit a violent crime than were those who were repeat offenders who served time.
C. Many of the sentenced criminals who made amends were those who expressed to Judge Brown a willingness to do so.
D. Victims of the crimes were happier when the judged sentenced criminals to make amends, rather than when he sentenced them to serve time.
E. A judge in a neighboring district found that, in his jurisdiction, criminals sentenced to make amends committed repeat offenses in 22% of cases.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It says the right answer choice is A

How does A support the Judge's claim? I think this answer choice actually weakens the claim because it talks about repeat offenders who may or may not have already made amends in the past which would prove the Brown's plan for amends to be ineffective? The argument doesn't talk about repeat offenders and whether these amends are just as effective for those types of offenders. I don't really understand the explanation video either. :(
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Vyshak on 27 Nov 2016, 06:15, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler used to hide the OA

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4300

Kudos [?]: 7779 [1] , given: 95

Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 14:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Silviax wrote:
Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade for sentencing criminals to make amends for their crimes—for example, by apologizing to the victim—rather than sending them to jail. He argues that the rate of recidivism, or the likelihood that the criminal will commit another offense, is only 15% when he does so, while the average rate of recidivism in the country as a whole is above 35%. Judge Brown thus argues that the criminal justice system is most effective when criminals make amends for their crime, rather than serving time.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports Judge Brown’s claim?
A. The majority of the defendants that the judge sees are already repeat offenders who are statistically more likely to continue their offenses.
B. The offenders who went on to commit a crime after making amends were less likely to commit a violent crime than were those who were repeat offenders who served time.
C. Many of the sentenced criminals who made amends were those who expressed to Judge Brown a willingness to do so.
D. Victims of the crimes were happier when the judged sentenced criminals to make amends, rather than when he sentenced them to serve time.
E. A judge in a neighboring district found that, in his jurisdiction, criminals sentenced to make amends committed repeat offenses in 22% of cases.

It says the right answer choice is A

How does A support the Judge's claim? I think this answer choice actually weakens the claim because it talks about repeat offenders who may or may not have already made amends in the past which would prove the Brown's plan for amends to be ineffective? The argument doesn't talk about repeat offenders and whether these amends are just as effective for those types of offenders. I don't really understand the explanation video either. :(

Dear Silviax,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Think about this way. Judge Brown has convicts apologize to crime victims, and he argues that this is what causes the low rate of recidivism. Think of what a skeptic would say.
"Maybe the criminals that Judge Brown sees are not hardened criminals. They are folks who easily feel sorry for the crimes they committed, and thus are more likely to feel willing to apologize. Such criminals are also, by their very nature, less likely to repeat their crimes, because they already feel sorry for what they have done. Thus, the low recidivism rate would be due to the characters of the individual convicts involved, and participation in Judge Brown's program of apologizing would just be an unrelated detail."
If that view were really true, it would be devastating to Judge Brown's argument. How do we know that the folks who went through Judge Brown's program have lowers recidivism rate because of that program and not because of some other factor about who they are? This is the biggest objection to the prompt arguments at it stands.

Choice (A) addresses this in a powerful way. If the folks Judge Brown sees are repeat offenders, folks that typically have a much higher recidivism rate, and after participating in Judge Brown's programs, even these hardened embittered repeat offenders are much less likely to continue their life of crime. then that's powerful. The programs takes the population most like to repeat their offense, and makes even these people less like to repeat. Wow! If something works on the hardest imaginable case, then it really works! This is why it's such a powerful strengthener for the argument.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 7779 [1] , given: 95

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2012
Posts: 123

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 19:47
Yes, I see what you are saying. I still think it's doubtful whether repeat offenders would be "cured" from pursuing criminal activities by simply apologizing to their victims, but I guess that's not the point here and only my own opinion.

That's why I am having a hard time with critical reasoning questions. I always want to reason and evaluate based on my opinion and not based on what the argument is implying.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4300

Kudos [?]: 7779 [1] , given: 95

Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 13:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Silviax wrote:
Yes, I see what you are saying. I still think it's doubtful whether repeat offenders would be "cured" from pursuing criminal activities by simply apologizing to their victims, but I guess that's not the point here and only my own opinion.

That's why I am having a hard time with critical reasoning questions. I always want to reason and evaluate based on my opinion and not based on what the argument is implying.

Dear Silviax,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, if we were drawing conclusions on our own, indeed it would not be the easiest conclusion to accept that repeat offenders would be reformed simply by the act of apologizing to victims. That's absolutely true.

In this argument, we know from the prompt that the recidivism rate for the convicts that Judge Brown has apologize has dropped to 15%, down from the standard 35%. That's evidence, so we know that. Now, if (A) is true, then the argument would be telling us, as fact that we should accept, that these hard-to-reform repeat offenders are the ones Judge Brown is seeing, and he is able to reform even these people. Again, this would hard to posit on our own, but we don't have to: the question is making all this clear for us.

It's good to have a general sense of what is realistic and what is not, but on GMAT CR, you really have to be rigorous about exactly what is said and what isn't. You have to treat it the way you might treat math: one little difference can change everything, so you have to pay attention to each last detail.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 7779 [1] , given: 95

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2012
Posts: 123

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 15:56
Hi Mike,

yes, it makes total sense now. Thanks! :-D

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2016
Posts: 23

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 20:25
I was able to eliminate option C,D and E. I find option B to be strengthening the case in the first look. Although option A is a powerful one which leaves little to no doubts about the argument, option B successfully managed to distract me.
_________________

GREEN ORANGE YELLOW RED

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 00:05
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear Silviax,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Think about this way. Judge Brown has convicts apologize to crime victims, and he argues that this is what causes the low rate of recidivism. Think of what a skeptic would say.
"Maybe the criminals that Judge Brown sees are not hardened criminals. They are folks who easily feel sorry for the crimes they committed, and thus are more likely to feel willing to apologize. Such criminals are also, by their very nature, less likely to repeat their crimes, because they already feel sorry for what they have done. Thus, the low recidivism rate would be due to the characters of the individual convicts involved, and participation in Judge Brown's program of apologizing would just be an unrelated detail."
If that view were really true, it would be devastating to Judge Brown's argument. How do we know that the folks who went through Judge Brown's program have lowers recidivism rate because of that program and not because of some other factor about who they are? This is the biggest objection to the prompt arguments at it stands.

Choice (A) addresses this in a powerful way. If the folks Judge Brown sees are repeat offenders, folks that typically have a much higher recidivism rate, and after participating in Judge Brown's programs, even these hardened embittered repeat offenders are much less likely to continue their life of crime. then that's powerful. The programs takes the population most like to repeat their offense, and makes even these people less like to repeat. Wow! If something works on the hardest imaginable case, then it really works! This is why it's such a powerful strengthener for the argument.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Hi Mike,

I indeed had this reasoning while solving this question but what kept me from concluding anything was a counter-theory. And that was the reason i could not mark A. Here it is:

1) From the prompt we have- 'the likelihood that the criminal will commit another offense, is only 15% when he does so...'
- This is a generic theory that the Judge puts and this applies to all criminals.

2) From option A we have- 'The majority of the defendants that the judge sees are already repeat offenders...'
- This is talking about ONLY the criminals that the Judge sees.

Now, the reasoning that you gave above takes a leap and combines (1) and (2). There is no reason to believe that the theory Judge gives in (1) applies to the group of criminals in (2). It may or may not. A is not foolproof.

What do you say about this?
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 142

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4300

Kudos [?]: 7779 [0], given: 95

Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 21:37
arhumsid wrote:
Hi Mike,

I indeed had this reasoning while solving this question but what kept me from concluding anything was a counter-theory. And that was the reason i could not mark A. Here it is:

1) From the prompt we have- 'the likelihood that the criminal will commit another offense, is only 15% when he does so...'
- This is a generic theory that the Judge puts and this applies to all criminals.

2) From option A we have- 'The majority of the defendants that the judge sees are already repeat offenders...'
- This is talking about ONLY the criminals that the Judge sees.

Now, the reasoning that you gave above takes a leap and combines (1) and (2). There is no reason to believe that the theory Judge gives in (1) applies to the group of criminals in (2). It may or may not. A is not foolproof.

What do you say about this?

Dear arhumsid,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Anything stated in a CR prompt as fact is evidence, and we must accept it as true. Even if a character in the prompt cites something as fact, we need to accept that evidence and treat it as true.

The prompt say that the judge argues (1) is true for ALL criminals. We have to take this as evidence, as something true, a statement true about all criminals. Thus, it would be true about the criminals that appear before him or before any other judge. Thus, if (2) is true about the criminals that appear before him, then both (1) & (2) would apply.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Kudos [?]: 7779 [0], given: 95

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Re: Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 10:12
Hi Mike,

Could you please elaborate a little one why (E) is a weak answer choice?

My initial thought process between (E) and (A) was:
- (A) strongly augments the argument that Judge Brown has has success in reducing recidivism through sentencing amendments versus imprisonment. Ultimately, this is still one case where such an approach was successful
- (E), although not as strong a supporting fact in Judge Brown's case, exemplifies another scenario where sentencing amendments, as opposed to imprisonment, reduces recidivism. In my mind, this effectively doubles the strength of the general statement that "the criminal justice system is most effective when criminals make amends for their crime, rather than serving time."

Could you please help me bridge my line of thinking with that of the GMAT.

Thanks!
Kyle

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 805

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 108

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 10:38
ykz wrote:
Hi Mike,

Could you please elaborate a little one why (E) is a weak answer choice?

My initial thought process between (E) and (A) was:
- (A) strongly augments the argument that Judge Brown has has success in reducing recidivism through sentencing amendments versus imprisonment. Ultimately, this is still one case where such an approach was successful
- (E), although not as strong a supporting fact in Judge Brown's case, exemplifies another scenario where sentencing amendments, as opposed to imprisonment, reduces recidivism. In my mind, this effectively doubles the strength of the general statement that "the criminal justice system is most effective when criminals make amends for their crime, rather than serving time."

Could you please help me bridge my line of thinking with that of the GMAT.

Thanks!
Kyle


Your reasoning is fine and such a reasoning is used in real world a lot. Even mostly in GMAT RCs Author would first say a little -ve about some theory or concept and then he will show some facts and later show the worth of the theory. This surely brings the reader to believe in that theory.

But here in this question this is not applicable because of the stats that Premise shows. here is it:

Conclusion says demands MOST EFFECTIVENESS. For this, criminals making amends for their crime would be considered EFFECTIVE if average comes down to 15% from 35%. But 35% to 22% would not be considered MOST EFFECTIVE.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 108

Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2017, 10:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Over the past three decades, the number of hospital beds available for hazelnut 5 23 Jul 2017, 06:40
5 Over the past two decades, a wide gap in pay has arisen between medica SajjadAhmad 3 10 May 2017, 05:36
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic Over the past three decades, the number of hospital beds available for hazelnut 2 19 Jul 2017, 01:34
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Over the past decade, many companies have begun using LGOdream 7 21 Nov 2014, 12:40
22 Experts publish their posts in the topic Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has bepositive 65 10 Jun 2017, 02:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Judge Brown has shown a marked preference over the past decade

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.