It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 18:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 2

Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2009, 02:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:01) correct 36% (00:56) wrong based on 289 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

1.Judge Lois Forer’s study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

(A) do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among
(B) some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed between
(C) do some litigants have a preferred status over another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among
(D) some litigants have a preferred status to another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact not equally distributed between
(E) does one litigant have a preferred status over the other in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact they are not equally distributed among
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by abhimahna on 07 Jul 2017, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 348 [1], given: 20

Re: Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2009, 03:00
This post received
KUDOS
"asks" does not require "do" or "does". Eliminate A, C and E.

Between B and D, D contains two errors. "have a preferred status to another", here another cannot be used as a pronoun so it does not properly complete the comparison. Also "in theory" should contain a "which" before it because "which" will refer directly to the noun right before it, namely the courts.

Answer would then be B.

Kudos [?]: 348 [1], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2009, 07:16
B for me too.
If you can please underline the parts, it is easier to read.

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2009, 09:49
It might be better to use spoiler instead of posting OA with problem.

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 3

SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 432

Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 08:56
Yes, the correct answer is B. In this instance the word "do" is wordy and unecessary. This eliminates A, C, and D. Option E has the same problem, except that it contains "does." Also, for C and D, "litigants" (plural) does not match with "another" or "the other," both in the singular form.

We must also consider the words "among" and "between" in this sentence. The passage lists two groups: rich and poor. For two groups, we use "between." For more than two groups, we use "among."

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 432

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 11:05
KocharRohit wrote:
1.Judge Lois Forer’s study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.
(A) do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among
(B) some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed between
(C) do some litigants have a preferred status over another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among
(D) some litigants have a preferred status to another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact not equally distributed between(B)
(E) does one litigant have a preferred status over the other in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact they are not equally distributed among

I shortlisted D as answer but OA is B. All other can be eliminated becuase of among used in last...why is B OA?
Please explain..

That's really strange. I managed to narrow my answer choices to B and D because of "between" and "among"; however, I chose D because I know that the correct idiom is "prefer to", not "prefer over." I KNOW that there's an idiom "prefer x to y" so how come "prefer over" is appropriate here???? I've never come across "prefer over" until I saw this problem. Can anyone please explain?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
IMO B

B - main verb is 'have' - have a status over another ..... preferred modifies status - it is not the main verb

D - main verb is preferred - preferred status to another (meaning changes as it says status is preferred to something else like prefer icecreams to chocolates) .... Actually meaning is some people have preferred status over others' (status).

Hope it helps in some way ..... i couldnot better explain than this....

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 13:01
urchin wrote:
IMO B

B - main verb is 'have' - have a status over another ..... preferred modifies status - it is not the main verb

D - main verb is preferred - preferred status to another (meaning changes as it says status is preferred to something else like prefer icecreams to chocolates) .... Actually meaning is some people have preferred status over others' (status).

Hope it helps in some way ..... i couldnot better explain than this....

great catch! but let me just correct you on one point: BOTH B and D have "have" as the main verb. Option D doesn't have "preferred" as the main verb, but rather "have" once again. I think it's the fact that we're dealing with status requires "over"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 20:49
This post received
KUDOS
I just wanted to say that in D 'preferred' takes place of main verb not 'have' and changes the meaning.

Hope u have got ur doubt cleared anyways.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2009, 02:03
urchin wrote:
I just wanted to say that in D 'preferred' takes place of main verb not 'have' and changes the meaning.

Hope u have got ur doubt cleared anyways.

how can that be? isn't "preferred" an adjective modifying "status"? "preferred" is in the past participle. This is especially true when we have the article "a" right before "preferred." you can't have an article placed right before an action verb.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2009, 11:23
Can I have the OA and the explanation please ?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 774 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 09:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

(D) some litigants have a preferred status to another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact not equally distributed between

I got this wrong as i did not understand the the role of 'do' here. Can some explain the reasoning when to avoid such mistakes.

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Last edited by souvik101990 on 11 Oct 2015, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Formatting

Kudos [?]: 774 [0], given: 11

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 09:44
+1 B

I think that "do" is used mainly when you make a question. In this case, it is not necessary.
However, you can choose "B" without considering that aspect.
A, C and E are out because "among" is wrong. The correct idiom when there are only two elements is "between....and....".
So, you have to choose only between B and D.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 109

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7901 [1], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
One small to Mr. Alit. By pre - empting the answer, it is not going to be interesting. I suggest that you float your question for a while and then come out with your reasoning. This will invite various dimensions and you will get deeper insight.

Coming to the passage, ‘why do’ or ‘why does’ is used in direct speech while the ‘do or does” will be dropped in reported or indirect speech. So we can drop A, C and E.

Another split is that we need to use ‘between’ because there are only two categories namely rich and poor. So choices using among rcan be eliminated. Between B and D, the decider is the user of the correct idiom, ‘status over’. ‘Status to’ is a wrong idiom . Hence D can be ignored, leaving only B as the royal answer.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7901 [1], given: 363

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 588 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 20:35
options A,D,E are eliminated because wrong usage of" between " and "among".

AMONG is used to compare more than 2 options.
BETWEEN is used to compare only 2 options.

rich and poor are only 2 items. so between is the right usage.

Between options B and D. B is the best answer.

Kudos [?]: 588 [0], given: 2

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 41

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 01:16
daagh wrote:
One small to Mr. Alit. By pre - empting the answer, it is not going to be interesting. I suggest that you float your question for a while and then come out with your reasoning. This will invite various dimensions and you will get deeper insight.

Coming to the passage, ‘why do’ or ‘why does’ is used in direct speech while the ‘do or does” will be dropped in reported or indirect speech. So we can drop A, C and E.

Another split is that we need to use ‘between’ because there are only two categories namely rich and poor. So choices using among rcan be eliminated. Between B and D, the decider is the user of the correct idiom, ‘status over’. ‘Status to’ is a wrong idiom . Hence D can be ignored, leaving only B as the royal answer.

Can you simplify the above with an explanation and example

thanks in advance

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 41

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 02:53
metallicafan wrote:
+1 B

I think that "do" is used mainly when you make a question. In this case, it is not necessary.
However, you can choose "B" without considering that aspect.
A, C and E are out because "among" is wrong. The correct idiom when there are only two elements is "between....and....".
So, you have to choose only between B and D.

So we can say "distributed among the rich."

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 7901 [4], given: 363

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hirendhanak:

In direct speech:

Jack “hi, Jill, when do you plan to go up the hill?

In reported/indirect speech: Jack asks Jill when she plans to go up the hill.

Here the do has been removed and merged with the main verb as done in an affirmative statement.

Direct Speech:
Jack asked Jill “Hi, when does your mother think of going back to her house?
Reported / indirect speech:

Jack asked Jill when her mother thought of going back to her house.

There may be some exceptions, but by and large this is the general use of “do and does” in direct interrogative sentences.

For example, look at the following example which is just a reported speech and a statement.

He said that he always used to muse why do some people vote for corrupt parties. Here the use of the word do is a mistake. The correct form will be: He said that he always used to muse why some people vote/voted for corrupt parties.

Sorry, if I have dragged you too much

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7901 [4], given: 363

Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 7901 [0], given: 363

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 07:10
mundasingh123 ; I can not get what you are trying to convey by asking others to confirm mine. II you feel otherwise, my dear Bro , pl let me know. I will at least learn from it and correct myself. Why don't you be specific pl? I will respect your views;

Kudos [?]: 7901 [0], given: 363

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 07:17
daagh wrote:
mundasingh123 ; I can not get what you are trying to convey by asking others to confirm mine. II you feel otherwise, my dear Bro , pl let me know. I will at least learn from it and correct myself. Why don't you be specific pl? I will respect your views;

Hi thanks for the great post
I am not trying to convey anything.I just wanted to make sure i learnt and did the right things so that i dont get such a question wrong during an exam

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Last edited by Zatarra on 13 Dec 2010, 07:20, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2010, 07:17

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap