GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

June 6, Thurs: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom - 5 Tips for Applying in R1

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
June 6, Thurs: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom - 5 Tips for Applying in R1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 21:16

5 Tips for Preparing to Apply Round 1 - Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom

Thursday, June 6, 2019 12pm ET (9am PDT / 5pm British time / 9:30pm IST)

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.

Join Link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php

While each applicant comes to the MBA application process with their own experiences and aspirations, they often share many of the same questions along the way. Join Senior Associate Directors of Admissions, Amy Mitson and Pat Harrison, as they answer your questions and offers tips and advice for preparing your best application.

Name and brief introduction of speaker(s): (1) Pat Harrison, Senior Associate Director of Admissions, (2) Amy Mitson, Senior Associate Director of Admissions
  • Pat Harrison is a Senior Associate Director of Admissions. She oversees Tuck’s reading and evaluation process and also leads Tuck’s women’s recruitment efforts. She has been with Tuck since 2003. Prior to coming to Tuck, Pat was a practicing attorney in Charlotte, North Carolina. She is a graduate of Bowdoin College and the University of North Carolina School of Law.
  • Amy Mitson has been at Tuck since 2000 and is currently Senior Associate Director of Admissions. Prior to working with Tuck Admissions, Amy was the Senior Associate Director of the MBA Program Office. As an admissions officer at Tuck, Amy serves on the admissions committee and leads recruitment and diversity focused initiatives. Her combined student services and admissions experiences have helped her get acquainted with operations at Tuck, its history, and the vibrant alumni community. Her favorite thing about Tuck is the people; working with the faculty, staff and students is a consistent source of motivation and inspiration!

Signup to get email reminder of this chat.
Reviews Badge
Re: June 6, Thurs: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom - 5 Tips for Applying in R1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 08:12
REMINDER:
We will be starting the Chat at scheduled time 2130 IST.
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: June 6, Thurs: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom - 5 Tips for Applying in R1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 14:44
LordStark wrote:
REMINDER:

Hi LordStark,

Do we have a way to access the chat transcript for this session?

I couldn't attend this.

Thank you!

SD
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 20:24
hi sdlife
No worries
I will be posting the transcript in a day or two.
Meanwhile you can go through the transcript of old chat sessions available in the forum.
Also, do keep a lookout for the chat sessions in future.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best
LS

sdlife wrote:
LordStark wrote:
REMINDER:

Hi LordStark,

Do we have a way to access the chat transcript for this session?

I couldn't attend this.

Thank you!

SD

Reviews Badge
June 6, Thurs: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom - 5 Tips for Applying in R1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 00:02

Transcript of the Chat

For all those who missed the chat session

Welcome Everybody! It’s great to have you all in this live chat with Tuck’s Admission team. Today’s topic of the chat is "5 Tips for Preparing to Apply in Round 1". We have with us Senior Associate Directors of Admissions Pat Harrison, and Amy Mitson. Pat and Amy, on behalf of everyone I welcome you to this chat session.

patharrison
Hello everyone! Thank you for joining us today. My name is Pat Harrison. I am Director of Admissions, Evaluation and Yield at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. I have been with Tuck Admissions for about 15 years now. In my role I oversee our evaluation and yield and women’s recruiting. We are excited to take your questions today.

nightblade354
Amy, feel free to introduce yourself as well otherwise we can kick this off!

nightblade354
Please submit questions and we will post them!

Pat and Amy I request if you can start with tips for preparing to apply in R1?

TuckAdmissions
Hello from Hanover where we are just a day away from graduation weekend! We are excited to be here with you to share our new essay questions and tips for the application process. I am Amy Mitson, Director of Admissions, Recruitment and Marketing. I have worked with our admissions team for many years. I am also Tuck’s Board representative to the Consortium and our liaison to Management Leadership for Tomorrow. Happy to answer your questions!

patharrison
The timing of this chat is great since we just released our essay questions yesterday. They are very similar to our questions from last year, but after hearing from applicants that they did not have enough space to explain why they were interested in Tuck, we increased the word count on that essay. The new essay prompts are:

Gandhar1996
What does the admission committee look for in an applicant during the interview

Gandhar1996
I understand that admission decisions are made on case to case basis. However due you feel that there is an inverse relationship between GMAT score and work experience

patharrison
1.Tuck students can articulate how the distinctive Tuck MBA will advance their aspirations. Why are you pursuing an MBA and why Tuck? (300 words)
2.Tuck students recognize how their individuality adds to the fabric of Tuck. Tell us who you are. (300 words)
3.Tuck students invest generously in one another’s success even when it is not convenient or easy. Share an example of how you helped someone else succeed. (300 words)

Pat and Amy I request if you can start with tips for preparing to apply in R1?

patharrison
Today we’re talking about tips for your application. Here’s our first one to get you started: Dig Deep
Introspection is key during the MBA application process. By the time you hit submit, you should
know—and be able to articulate—exactly why you want an MBA.

patharrison
Taking time to reflect about your goals, why you want an MBA, how you learn, your strengths and weaknesses, what you have learned about your experiences, etc. you will be better prepared when it comes time to write your essays and you will have an easier time narrowing down your list of schools.

TuckAdmissions
Gandhar1996: Our interview is behavioral and not technical. The interview is a wonderful opportunity to share your story first hand with a representative of the admissions committee. At Tuck we hire and train second year students to be our group of interviewers. We are looking for you to be able to share your desire to pursue your MBA at Tuck; why is this next big step so important to you and why is Tuck the best place for you to accomplish this goal. Practice your story and come into the interview confident of this next pursuit!

patharrison
Tip 2: Explore Schools. Start researching schools now, and keep it doing it! Dig through websites (there’s a ton of information there, so go beyond what you see on the homepage), talk to current students and alumni, and visit as many programs as you can.

patharrison
Schools will also be hosting events (likely near your area) and this is a great way to learn more about their programs. An MBA is a big investment, so do your homework and make sure you find the school that is the best fit for your goals, learning style and personality.

TuckAdmissions
Tip 3: GMAT/GRE!Get this out of the way sooner rather than later. Don’t rush it, but give yourself time to focus on essays and interviews without the stress.We don’t have a preference whether you take the GMAT or the GRE. I suggest you do a few practice tests to see which test you feel best represents your abilities and then take that one. Also, you can take test more than once in pursuit of your strongest score. It is not uncommon for applicants to have taken tests more than once.

patharrison
Tip 4: Finances. Don’t assume you’ll get a scholarship. If you do, that’s awesome! If you don’t, you’ll feel prepared and be a lot less stressed. Pay down other debt, look for funding options elsewhere, and save.

TuckAdmissions
Tip 5: Timing! A frequent question from applicants at this stage in the process: Does it really matter if I apply in a
later round? Well, yes—but it matters more that your application is the strongest it can possibly be. Do not submit early for the sake of being first. Quality counts!

nightblade354
TuckAdmissions, patharrison, to bold a name when responding to a question, click on the name below the picture

great tips! Thanks Pat and Amy. The chat room is now open for Q & A.
bluekoolaid
Any details that can be shared about new & upcoming Global Insight Expeditions?

idjevin
What differentiates a prospective tuck student from the rest of tuck’s applicants?

SomeGuyOutThere
Is it a disadvantage if the applicant cannot schedule an applicant-initiated interview (on campus)?

deushyant
Hey! Does the admission team have a upper ceiling for granting admissions to people of individual countries?

patharrison
deushyant, We do not have limits on applicants coming from a particular company or industry.

patharrison
idjevin, I’m not sure I am answering your question, but I would say what differentiates Tuck students is that they are smart, accomplished, aware and nice. Please see our criteria: https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/criteria

Question from an offline user One of Tuck’s admission criteria is for the candidate to display the quality - "Nice", this quality is subjective in nature. If the committee could in a few words or with an example explain how this quality would be assessed in an application, that would really help in getting some perspective.

TuckAdmissions
SomeGuyOutThere, Coming to campus at some point during your Tuck exploration is important, but you are not required to come to campus for the interview to be considered for admission. You may submit your complete application by the deadline and note that you would like to be invited for an interview. You will then have to wait to hear from the committee to be invited. Your interview would most likely be conducted via Skype, WeChat, etc. and you can be invited at any point leading up to the decision release date for your chosen round.

shobhitkh
When interviewer asks why MBA and why this college...what exactly is the interviewer looking for? Thanks

patharrison
bluekoolaid, locations for next year’s GIX trips have not yet been set. Some locations are offered most years. Other locations change year to year. For more details on GIX and Tuck GO, please see https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/acad ... equirement

TuckAdmissions
To the offline user: Take a look at the details within the "Nice" criteria. Throughout your application you have the opportunity to showcase your alignment with this criteria. For example, we highlight ’you ask for help and help others’ in the definition. I have seen this demonstrated in an applicant’s essays as well as in things recommenders share about applicants.

megankcb
Hi, thank you for hosting this chat. Can you provide some perspective on how we can best use our campus visit to inform our application and better evaluate our fit with the program?
noelleb123
I am currently in a program that has a partnership with tuck (Fletcher) What advice would you give an applicant like this.

patharrison
shobhitkh, we are looking for your genuine reasons for wanting an MBA and an MBA specifically from Tuck. What professional gaps are you hoping to fill? How will the unique opportunities at Tuck help you reach your goals?

idjevin
What is the best way to connect to alumni... would LinkedIn be of help?

TuckAdmissions
megankcb, The campus visit is a great opportunity to see this place and the people here up close. You may also have the chance to sit in on a class (depending upon the schedule on the day of your visit) when you visit which can give you a feel for the classroom experience at Tuck. Most candidates have a "gut feeling" when they come to campus. That is something to pay attention to. Some candidates may interview after they have submitted their application and some before. Depending upon your timing, your visit could help inform your application or just help you confirm if Tuck is where you want to be for your MBA.

patharrison
noelleb123, applicants to joint-degree programs like Fletcher, the Kennedy School or Johns Hopkins SAIS are treated the same as applicants applying only to Tuck. We are looking for the same things for all applicants, but you should also address how the additional degree will help you reach your goals.

holmeschristie001
What are some good ways to quantify impact on the resume? Is quantifying the size of the project (revenue) I work on a good start?

BilwaKhekale
Hello, This is Bilwa from India. I am aware of the apostles of fitting Tuck admissions candidate. However could you exemplify how one can portray those values through their application

Offline user Do you keep previous visit and interview history when evaluating candidates even if they did not previously submit their application?

TuckAdmissions
idjevin, MANY Tuck alumni are on LinkedIn. You are welcome to connect directly with an alum via LinkedIn or you may contact Tuck Admissions and we could facilitate an email intro. Another great way to connect with alumni is at our events. We are in the process of populating our events page and you will soon see if we will be near you. Please join an event to connect with an alum or other member of the Tuck community!

patharrison
holmeschristie001, the answer is really going to depend on the experience and what you did. Providing details about the size of the project, revenue brought in, amount of growth, results, etc. are all a great start.

percivjr
If a student has a fairly unconventional business school background - humanities major with limited quant background in undergrad, working in education, and a GRE submitter - is that a disadvantage? What advice would you have for an applicant with that background?

bluekoolaid
In terms of learning styles what type of students fit well at Tuck?

TuckAdmissions
BilwaKhekale, Every candidate connects with Tuck in a unique way. You have the opportunity to share your values and experiences throughout the application.

patharrison
To offline user: we keep records of the visits applicants have made, but that information is not factored into our admissions decisions, e.g. we aren’t counting how many times you engage with us. If you interviewed before, we will still have the interview report on record and may use that in our evaluation depending on how recent the interview was.

BilwaKhekale
Thank you so much:)

ozhass
Will Tuck be conducting any education/meetup in India? If yes then where and when?

amitcpotnis
What impact does the undergraduate course (fine arts, social work, etc) have on the application?

patharrison
bluekoolaid, I am going to refer you back to our admissions criteria which describes the type of student who best fits at Tuck: smart, accomplished, aware and nice. In terms of learning style, Tuck students are curious, collaborative and engaged.

TuckAdmissions
percivjr, No. Our goal is to admit a diverse class to Tuck. Your diversity of thought and background adds to the to what many students call "the fabric of Tuck". While candidates are still coming from consulting and finance related careers pre-MBA, this is not the whole applicant pool. We have strong representation from candidates with non profit, education, military, healthcare, and entrepreneurial experiences. Bring on your unique background! You will be a valuable contributor!

nightblade354
The question window is currently empty, so any questions you wish to ask, please do so now!

TuckAdmissions
amitcpotnis, These courses likely have an impact on your well rounded perspective and ability to contribute from a different viewpoint when collaborating with your classmates and in your study group.

Offline userHow does Tuck view candidates who have low work experience, say less than 3 years?

Narenn
Offline User: How does the consideration of the highest sub-score across multiple exams work?

patharrison
ozhass, yes we will absolutely be in India! The India events will be in August, but the dates and locations have not yet been finalized. Please keep an eye on our events page at https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissio ... d-an-event. Everything will be posted there as soon as an event is posted.

Offline user would you please share any memorable candidate?

starrvish
Do you have any experience of students coming from a fashion background. How would an MBA at Tuck cater to this industry?

patharrison
Narenn, if you have taken the exam more than once, we look at your highest score on each section as we evaluate your verbal and quant abilities; however, we do not combine those best scores together to create a new total score. We will consider your highest total score.

Offline userWhen will scheduling for fall campus visits and interviews open?

TuckAdmissions
Moderator wrote:
Offline userHow does Tuck view candidates who have low work experience, say less than 3 years?
There is no required minimum for years of work experience. The quality of your experience is just as important to us. We have admitted candidates applying with just over a year of professional work experience or with ten years work experience. It depends largely upon you and when you are ready to contribute to our vibrant MBA community!

Have you ever received application from a candidate with Indian military background?

patharrison
Offline user: on-campus interviews will begin September 9. Registration for interview slots will become available sometime in August once we have our student-interviewers’ academic schedules.

patharrison
Moderator, yes.

Do you go through the social media profiles of applicants? If yes how do you assess them on this basis?

TuckAdmissions
starrvish, Yes and.....what is also important is where you want to go with your Tuck MBA. With a general management degree you can continue in fashion or transition successfully to your industry of interest. The Career Services office is a wonderful resource to your career search as well as the student and alumni community.

TuckAdmissions
Moderator wrote:
Do you go through the social media profiles of applicants? If yes how do you assess them on this basis?
We focus primarily on the information you provide in your application materials and what your recommenders say on your behalf. We have plenty to read!

Last 9 mins guys. Ask if you have something in mind.

ctj5067
Hi, while I know that Tuck has many students with a military background, do you have experience with applicants in the National Guard? If a National Guardsman were to be deployed while at Tuck, would a place be held for them in the incoming class?

deushyant
Can GMAT score make or break the application?

Rony26
Here it is again: Can your recommender be a co-worker?

vineetkeshaw
How Tuck sees a reapplicant?

TuckAdmissions
ctj5067, We have worked with many military candidates including National Guard. Our MBA Program Office also has direct experience with the example you list here. We would absolutely hold your space in the class if you were deployed.

Guys, any last questions?

aneesh1
Do you offer scholarships based on GMAT scores?

Arro44
Do you realize an increased concern of international applicants regarding their chances of getting employment in the US after graduation?

Narenn
holmeschristie001, Keep watch on this thread..https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 95791.html

harsh778
How do you evaluate a candidate for scholarship?

patharrison
deushyant, we are interested in so many factors as we evaluate candidates. It is truly a holistic process. Strengths in one area(s) can balance out another area where you are less strong. We admit a wide range of GMAT scores. It really depends on the complete package.

TuckAdmissions
Rony26, You may ask a co-worker, but we strongly encourage that at least one of your recommenders be a supervisor.

TuckAdmissions
holmeschristie001, Yes! GMAT club provides!

Guys keep a watch on this thread for further updates https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 95791.html

for 2020 intake

Arro44
Thank you Tuck Adcom, thank you mods!

Thanks everyone for participating in this chat today. Thank you very much Pat and Amy for spending time with us and answering applicants’ questions. Best of luck for the application season ahead.

patharrison
harsh778, we award scholarships based on the discretion of the committee to enroll candidates who will contribute significantly to the class and absent funding might not attend. We consider every student we admit and look at the same types of things we are evaluating for admission.

patharrison
harsh778, we award scholarships based on the discretion of the committee to enroll candidates who will contribute significantly to the class and absent funding might not attend. We consider every student we admit and look at the same types of things we are evaluating for admission.

TuckAdmissions
vineetkeshaw, We view reapplicants very favorably. One of the most important actions to take is having a feedback conversation with us before you reapply. Spend some time reflecting on why you want to enter the process again, has anything changed that you want to emphasize, and what can you do differently to learn more about Tuck(if needed!).

Narenn
Arro44 wrote:
Thank you Tuck Adcom, thank you mods!
Thanks for joining us in this chat.

Thanks everyone for participating in this chat today. Thank you very much Pat and Amy for spending time with us and answering applicants’ questions. Best of luck for the application season ahead.
June 6, Thurs: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom - 5 Tips for Applying in R1   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2019, 00:02

June 6, Thurs: Live Q&A with Tuck Adcom - 5 Tips for Applying in R1

new topic post reply Update application status