GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Just another one of Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Just another one of Profile evaluation request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 19:15
Hi Team,

Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know my likelihood of getting into one of the B-Schools listed below.

I am a Technology consultant from PwC. I currently hold 3 years 8 months of experience, which will become 4+ before entering b-School. There is a employment gap, where i studied for my previous GMAT, scoring 700, and Applied for various B-Schools. Rejecting two b-schools joined PwC as a Technology consultant (Retail). My Goal is to become a Management Consultant and am open to any culture or demography.
My past Scores:
540(Q46 V19 IR4) - Cancelled August 2016
690(Q50 V33 IR4 AWA3.5) - Accepted April 2017
680(Q49 V32 IR5) - Cancelled April 2017
700(Q50 V33 IR7 AWA6) - Accepted July 2017
730(Q51 V38 IR7 AWA?) - Accepted July 2018
My Alma-mater:
National Institute of Technology, Warangal (Top 10 in India at the time of joining) - CGPA: 6.59, UG in Mechanical Engineering.
Vijaya Ratna Jr. College : 91.8%
Kendriya Vidyalaya No1 : 80.6%

I don't know whether taking tests repeatedly affect my profile. Though i took it as a challenge to score more than 720, persisting and not giving up.
My work experience include:
2 years 8 months as a Software developer- Worked in different Technologies - .Net , Java; My role included developing mobile Marketing e-commerce WAP portals for various Mobile operators including, Idea, Airtel, Viva, Vodafone.
1 year as a Technology Consultant - Working at Client location. Client is India's largest Retail Garment Giant. Working as a support and Techno-functional role at client cite in Retail. As a Technology consultant had to learn a complete new technology Dynamics AX Retail and shifted gears from website building to Managing Retail POS.

Schools am aiming for:
ISB -
Kellogs -
Rotman -
WP Carey -
Erasmus -
Schulich -

please i do require a honest grading from ambitious to inside my strike zone. I know that Kellogs is a bit far fetched. Can you please suggest some schools that are under my wing so that it can lay in line with my future goals and aid me in becoming a better Management Consultant(Strategy).
Please note that: My nationality is Indian: I know this is the biggest drawback. Can't change it right :lol:
Waiting with fingers crossed.
Thank you,
Best Regards
A normal MBA Aspirant(Age: 25).
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Just another one of Profile evaluation request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 14:54
Hi Nightmare007,

Thank you very much for your post. Here are a few observations:

GMAT RESULT

Congratulations on the GMAT result that you ultimately achieved. That is great improvement and a true testament to your persistence! Admissions committees will not look negatively upon your repeated sittings for the exam. (You cancelled a couple of them, anyway.) If anything, they -- like me -- will look positively upon your improvement and persistence. The main drawback I see with respect to the repeated exams (apart from applying from such a crowded and competitive demographic) is the fact that you left your job to study. It seems to have improved your score, but that's a rather uncommon decision, it creates a gap in your resume, and you'll likely have to explain it in your applications.

SCHOOLS

Your final GMAT result puts you in score range for essentially all of the programs you've listed with the exception of Kellogg. In some cases, the score sits a decent bit above the class average (or toward the top of the middle 80%); you are applying from a very competitive group of applicants, but your GMAT score should still be a positive for you at the likes of Rotman, Carey, Erasmus, and Schulich. In those instances, the rest of the challenge for you becomes articulating your career goals, rationale for MBA, school fit, personal story, and what you'd uniquely contribute in a very specific, coherent, and compelling manner ("application execution" in so many words). (ISB will be challenging. You'll need to figure out how to differentiate yourself in your applications. Please see below for more.)

Kellogg will be very difficult as an Indian software developer with a 730 GMAT; I honestly don't see it manifesting, but it's not unreasonable for you to include it as a "reach" program if you're in love with the program and would really like to try your luck. But you might be better off replacing it with a great U.S. program that is still a reach, but is at least a reach at which you'd have a more plausible chance (e.g., a program from the 17 to 25 range).

I am somewhat curious about how you arrived at your school list. Openness to various geographies is great, but it seems that you chose a handful of programs in a handful of countries. It could be more effective for you to first determine where you'd like to end up professionally and geographically and then work backward from there. On the U.S. side, for example, there is quite a distance between Kellogg and W.P. Carey in the rankings. If you were inclined toward the U.S. post-MBA, then you could build out more of a balanced and diversified strategy "between" the likes of Kellogg and Carey.

CAREER GOALS AND STORY

Deep software to consulting is a very common (and in certain respects cliche') career path among similar applicants. So I would encourage you to really think through and develop your career goals more specifically. You will need to have far more refined short- and long-term goals than simply "software to consulting;" you will need to understand what company or companies you'd like to work for -- in what groups -- and in what geographies; what type of projects and work you'd like to do / impact you'd hope to have; what industry or industries you'd like to specialize in from a consulting standpoint (if that is indeed the goal); what knowledge-skills-experience you already have that are relevant; what knowledge-skills-experience you lack toward these goals and hope to acquire via the MBA; how exactly you'll acquire those via each program; how exactly you'd contribute, and so on and so forth.

Long story short, you will need to figure out how to differentiate yourself in terms of specificity of career goals, personal story, and what you can contribute to an MBA class. What makes you different than the scores of other Indian software engineers with 730 GMAT scores who want to transition into consulting? Here are a few links I believe will be helpful as you continue to refine your plans and goals:

Avanti Prep: The Most Overlooked Elements of the MBA Application Process

GMAT Club: MBA Admissions Chances for Indian Applicants (Top 50 Analysis)

GMAT Club: The Indian Male MBA Application Guide

I am happy to chat if ever helpful. Please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation below!

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Just another one of Profile evaluation request   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2018, 14:54

Just another one of Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep