Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Okay, after a cooling off period I figured I would try to give some pointers to those taking the GMAT soon. First thing, make sure you bring a snack for the breaks. I think it will ease your mind a bit, and trust me, if you get hungry during the test, it will be a distraction. Also, before you start, check your marker on your board. I found this out the hard way. I went through 2 that didn't work and didn't find out until I started the math. Wasted a good 5-10 minutes waiting for the test taker to find a replacement. BEFORE YOU START CHECK YOUR MARKER!! As for the Math, some of the problems were extremely complex compared to what I was working with. Depending on how much time you have to study, I would definitely make an error log, and make sure you can get all questions (PS & DS) correct before you take the test. Taking the PowerPrep software from MBA.com is very beneficial as well. It's the same layout you will see on the test so you will be very comfortable with it. I was very disappointed when I saw a 630, but three things made me feel much better when I was done:

-The supervisor said that was the best score they had seen all week
-The guy next to me got a 490 and asked me "How many points will the writing add to this score" - I felt bad for him!
-Coming here and realizing I can do much better so I'm taking it again!

Good Luck all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
this is great news !!! im glad you arent giving up ... this is nothing but a bump in the road ... with your experience you will do much better next time ( those butterflies in your stomach wont be as bad .. and you will have a good marker to write with )

Great advice ! thanks for posting
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
good news that you giving it again.. way to go... dont give up
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
i suggest that you use the manhattan gmat workbooks for math and verbal. studying the Official Guide is also very helpful.

i'm sure you can raise your score after studying again for the exam. i got a 640 on my first try and i was able to raise my score to 690 on my second try. it is possible to raise your score. :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AWA [#permalink]
just got my AWA score back, 6.0!! Why couldn't I have gotten that 700!!??? :twisted:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't worry, in 5 weeks you got 630 at your first try. I got 640 in 2 years taking the test 4 times :oops: 630 is a good score for a first attempt, especially considering the fact that you must deal with the stress of a new exam and all the new environment.

Take some time off and come back during the summer :roll: good luck
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts