Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30789 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Just have 25 days to prepare need to score 700 + [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Sagar,

Your Mock scores (both the tests) clearly indicate that you need to up your game in the Verbal section as well as the Quant section.
To improve to a 700+ score, you will have to improve to a V38+ and a Q48+ score.
Use the GMAT Planner to fix your Verbal / Quant scores to get to a 700+ score.

25 days to improve from 580 to 700+
Quite clearly, your way of preparing in not helping you.You had studied for 15 days and could achieve very little improvement.
25 days is a bit on the lower side to get this improvement of 120+ points.
You will have to invest at least 200 hours combined with a good strategy / plan to get this improvement.

What are your reasons for taking the test on September 14th ? Which schools are you planning to apply to ?What is their Round 1 deadline ?

You need to answer the above questions and be 100 % sure about your GMAT date. There is no point taking the test under prepared. One should take the test only when you're scoring consistently around your target score in the mock tests.
You may contact me directly at support@e-gmat.com to further guidance.

Hope this helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
25 days to 700 is a short time. I am not saying that it cannot be done. Neither am I saying that it can be done. Everything depends on you. First you need to analyze which sections of GMAT are you more comfortable with - Quant or Verbal? So, perform this analysis and get prepared to play your strength. But that doesn't mean that you can adopt a lax attitude towards the other section. You would still have to spend 1 hour everyday on your weakness but covering all the Major and Minor topics in the section of your strength will boost your score the fastest.

Manhattan guides are good.
OG is essential, no matter which version.
I have no idea of the IMS material.

You must have got Manhattan's tests with the books. So, use them. Their quant is very tough but useful. The best tests available in the GMAT world are the ones in Exam Pack 1 and 2 provided by GMAC. Each exam pack has 2 tests.

Wait! Don't go just yet. There are a couple of threads, both in quant and verbal, that have listed the most commonly tested topics. So, by the end of your prep, make sure that you have covered each one of those topics in your Weaker Section. Weaker Section because I am suggesting that you cover Every Topic in your Stronger Section.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just have 25 days to prepare need to score 700 + [#permalink]
Hello guys

I just gave a Kaplan Prep Test today and to my shock I scored a 690 (Q46, V39)
I found the test difficult and I thought I'll end up scoring 500 on this one, lower than what I scored in my last two prep test i.e 560, 580.

In the last 2 days i worked on my weak areas which i never used to do, I guess this is what really helped.
But Im worried what if this is just a fluke or what if Kaplan scores are skewed.

EMPOWERgmatRichC
Thanks for your reply

1) Im planning to apply to top 20 Bschools for Masters in Finance (My academics and extra curriculars are really good, I just need to score in my GMAT)
2) Ill be applying in the first round so I dont have a option to postpone my GMAT

So I just have 25days and in those 25 days I can manage to study for 200+ hours
Im just confused about which material I should refer I have already read the manhattan strategy guide (have understood like 60% of it perfectly) should i re do it or should i buy some other book like Kaplan
I also need a good strategy to study.
and should i consider any prep test (Im saving the 2 GMAT Prep for the last moment)

Thanks,
Sagar N

Originally posted by Sagarnishar on 03 Aug 2017, 07:38.
Last edited by Sagarnishar on 03 Aug 2017, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sagar,

Given that it's been just a few days between your last two practice CATs, it's difficult to say which (if either) of those scores is the more accurate reflection of your current skills. Given the significant score changes in both the Quant and Verbal sections, I'd like to know a bit more about how you chose to take each of your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) What 'order' did you take the sections in?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC

1) I did take the entire CAT each time
2) In the first 2 test my order was - Essay,IR,Quants, Verbal
however, in the 3rd test I changed it - Verbal, Quants, Essay, IR (As GMAC now provides an option to choose)
3) I took all the test at home under exam conditions
4) Took all the test at the same time of the day as I plan to take my official GMAT
5) Nope
6) Never took the same CAT more than once so there were no repeated questions.

Thanks

Sagar N
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sagar,

It might be that changing the order of the sections helped you to perform better on this most recent CAT (as you likely would have bee more awake and alert when you faced the Quant and Verbal sections). Taking the CATs at home is NOT realistic though, so I suggest that you plan to take your future CATs in some other 'external' location.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Send PM
Hi EXPERT

I am also planning to give exam by the end of this month, targeting the same score.
In my first gmat prep I scoredQ49 and in the second gmat prep Q47 even though my wrong answer got reduced.
but still my score came down.
secondly in verbal section my score was V19 . So can any one please suggest, how I should prepare for rest of my days.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ankurmathur,

You might want to start your own conversation thread - so the discussion can stay focused on your specific situation. To that end, before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What is your Official GMAT Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sagarnishar wrote:
I have booked my GMAT on September 14, 2017
However I have my IELTS on August 19, 2017 so I'll get exactly 25days to prepare from August 20, 2017 to September 13, 2017.

I have given 2 Prep Test till now

July 15, 2017: Test #1 IMS Prep Test - Scored 560 (Q36, V30)
July 31, 2017: Test #2 Manhattan Free CAT - Scored 580 (Q40, V31)

After the first test I studied for 15 days but there is no major improvement
Im really worried I need to score a minimum of 700 on the actual test.

Kindly help me how do I improve myself as I have only 25days and I have already gone through the following materials
1. Official Guide 2016
2. Manhattan Strategy Guide 6th edition
3. IMS study material.

Also, how many more prep test should I give. Is there any specific prep test which I should give?

Thanks in advance

Sagar N

Hi

It is better you take GMAT prep CAT to diagnose your Starting GMAT score
With OG 16 also include Official verbal and Quantitative Review

Start with quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT

1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal when completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best CATs 1. Official GMAC (50+50$) 2. Manhattan GMAT (49$) 3. GMAT Club Quant CATs (80$) 4. Veritas CATs (49$ but you can buy at 15-20$ During sale period)

Good Luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi,

You should focus on verbal section. E-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live are both amazing courses that can really help you improve your scores.

However, given how close your GMAT date is, I personally do not think one should adopt any new method on the final leg of their GMAT Preparation. It may be nice to give a couple of mocks (the official ones) and work on your weaknesses, but trying something new might not work in anyone’s favour. However if you want to improve on any individual area such as Sentence Correction, you may subscribe to the individual SC course as you can finish the whole course in 10 days (with proper dedication). If however you are only looking to indentify and improve on your weak areas, I would encourage you to purchase the e-gmat scholaranium. It is without a doubt, one of the best practice tools for verbal and will indeed help you on the final leg of your preparations.

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot