Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [121]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [28]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [15]
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
spriya wrote:
An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern within a matrix of abstract designs and then select another design that completes that pattern. The results of the experiment were surprising. The lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments.
Which of the following hypotheses best accounts for the findings of the experiment?
(A) The neurons of the brain react less when a subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning.
(B) Those who performed best in the experiment experienced more satisfaction when working with abstract patterns than did those who performed less well.
(C) People who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections.
(D) The energy expenditure of the subjects brains increases when a design that completes the initially recognized pattern is determined.
(E) The task of completing a given design is more capably performed by athletes, whose energy expenditure is lower when they are at rest than is that of the general population.

Responding to a pm:

It is a type of a strengthen question.

"Which hypotheses accounts for the findings?"
Another way of saying it is "which of the following, if true, supports the findings of the experiment" or "which of the following, if true, leads to the findings of the experiment"

If people who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections, they will expend lowest amount of energy.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
First of all, I personally think this is more of a Paradox problem since we are trying to account for a surprising finding. We have to explain the surprising observation.

Secondly, I would like to add to leonidas's inputs. He has provided some great inputs, especially about Pre-thinking the answer. Prethinking is a very effective technique, however it requires conscious effort and involves a learning curve (for most). When you start prethinking, start with assumption questions. Moreover, do not worry about timing initially (for the first 15 questions) because you will take more time initially.

I do a 2 hr free session on Prethinking once a month. We have the recording of the last session on our portal. Register for a free account and then watch the help video below to access the recording of the session.

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=851

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
spriya wrote:
An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern within a matrix of abstract designs and then select another design that completes that pattern. The results of the experiment were surprising. The lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments.
Which of the following hypotheses best accounts for the findings of the experiment?
(A) The neurons of the brain react less when a subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning.
(B) Those who performed best in the experiment experienced more satisfaction when working with abstract patterns than did those who performed less well.
(C) People who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections.
(D) The energy expenditure of the subjects brains increases when a design that completes the initially recognized pattern is determined.
(E) The task of completing a given design is more capably performed by athletes, whose energy expenditure is lower when they are at rest than is that of the general population.

Please delete the portion of answer choice (E) as shown above. This portion is not in OG 12 or 13. It is a strong contender after your addition. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
spriya wrote:

When I answered this question, I thought Choice C is out of Scope as Choice C speaks about Neural Connections and passage is all about lowest expenditure of energy in neurons.
How these terms are related, and are we supposed to know the link between these two? Please help or suggest other way to reach to Official answer.

Thanks
H
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:

When I answered this question, I thought Choice C is out of Scope as Choice C speaks about Neural Connections and passage is all about lowest expenditure of energy in neurons.
How these terms are related, and are we supposed to know the link between these two? Please help or suggest other way to reach to Official answer.

Thanks
H

Actually, it's something people are usually expected to know - there are neurons in the brain which are connected with each other and the brain functions by sending signals over these neural connections.
Don't worry if this was not intuitive - GMAT doesn't test your general awareness. This kind of disconnect will not be there in an actual GMAT question. Even if a question with some bias does get into the question bank, it is filtered out if they observe that people of that or higher level are striking out on it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
With all due respect to the experts :) Isn't this a must be true question?? IMO it in someway asks what hypotheses can best be drawn from the above stimulus, moreover it doesn't have a conclusion just plain facts...
Please correct me if I am wrong
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ratinarace wrote:
With all due respect to the experts :) Isn't this a must be true question?? IMO it in someway asks what hypotheses can best be drawn from the above stimulus, moreover it doesn't have a conclusion just plain facts...
Please correct me if I am wrong

It might seem so on first reading but actually it is not a 'must be true' question i.e. inference/conclusion question. In a 'must be true' question, given that the argument is true, you should be able to infer the answer choice without a doubt.
This question asks you for the hypothesis that best supports the findings of the experiment. Mind you, the given hypothesis cannot be inferred without a doubt from the argument. There could be many reasons for the low expenditure of energy. e.g. perhaps subjects who did well have practiced over the years and can easily 'see' how the puzzle pieces will fit and hence the need to expend less energy. We cannot say that they MUST have more energy-efficient neural connections.
But given this hypothesis, i.e. they have more energy-efficient neural connections, findings of the experiment make more sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the question stem in this question more clearly. I've attempted this question before and I did land up with C as the answer. But when I was going through this question again, on second thoughts, I have a doubt on the interpretation of the question stem.

As per my understanding, there's a hypotheses... then there's a study/experiment to prove the hypotheses and they have received surprising results.

Surprising result: Successful performance----> lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain

Question: What can be the hypotheses possibly be?

The fact that the findings are surprising means that the hypotheses did not expect this result. In this case, the hypotheses must've been opposite or not similar to the result.

This is why I thought the answer must've been D which somewhat states the opposite.

While I understand that the answer is C because it explains why the results have taken place, I fail to understand how is this the answer to my question stem? i.e. The question stem doesn't seem to be asking why the result took place. It asks what the hypotheses could've been before the study.

It would be great if the experts could answer my doubt at the earliest... as I have my exam in 4 days!

Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Chandni170 wrote:
The question stem doesn't seem to be asking why the result took place. It asks what the hypotheses could've been before the study.

That's not correct.

Question stem: Which of the following hypotheses best accounts for the findings of the experiment?

It clearly asks you for the hypothesis that best explains the actual results.

Also, the sequence may be: Hypothesis, then experiment, then surprise, then updated hypothesis.

They are asking you for the updated hypothesis since they say that which hypothesis best accounts for the findings - i.e. accounts for the actual results of the experiment.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Picked A, but could later easily understand why it was wrong.

(A) The neurons of the brain react less when a subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning. [ this is a general effect. then according to this energy expended by neurons in all subjects must be low, why especially in those who performed most successfully?? (from beatthegmat)

(C) People who are better at abstract pattern recognition have more energy-efficient neural connections I don't like this part, GMAT says, ok, you don't need a special knowledge, BUT wants us to know a bit more than stated in the argument.... So they can argument everything they want with such an instrument......
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [2]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos