GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 May 2020, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

kaplan questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
kaplan questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2004, 01:27
Hi,

I am using Kaplan's 2004 book and also have the 2003 CD. The CD with the new edition is badly scratched and I have no option but to use the 2003 CD. Is that okay??

Also I have been solving CR from Kaplan. Got 8 out of 20 wrong :cry:
Am not very happy with the logic they have given. Or is it some flaw in my understanding??

And just to put things in perspective; I have scores 690 on one PP test that I took... and I made 3 silly errors or the score would have been higher. But the Kaplan brings down my spirits :(

Wonder if others are also going through similar probs!! Please give me some input...

Cheers!!!
Manan
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: kaplan questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2004, 01:42
manan wrote:
Hi,

I am using Kaplan's 2004 book and also have the 2003 CD. The CD with the new edition is badly scratched and I have no option but to use the 2003 CD. Is that okay??

Also I have been solving CR from Kaplan. Got 8 out of 20 wrong :cry:
Am not very happy with the logic they have given. Or is it some flaw in my understanding??

And just to put things in perspective; I have scores 690 on one PP test that I took... and I made 3 silly errors or the score would have been higher. But the Kaplan brings down my spirits :(

Wonder if others are also going through similar probs!! Please give me some input...

Cheers!!!
Manan

I have not used the 2004 edition, but reading reviews on Amazon, Kaplan does not really change the questions. A number of poople were "complaining" about it. Most prep companies keep their material the same including PR and Kaplan. They just update the explanations, add a few problems, and fix the errors. NO problems there.

40% wrong on Kaplan is not too good, but it is not a shock.
You need to find the reason why you are making the mistakes. You did not mention anything, so it is impossible to say whether it is a concern or just a minor bug in your logic. I think if you get it down to 4-5 per 20, you will be set.

I never scored higher than 640 on Kaplan. My final gmat was 750. I hope this will cheer you up :war

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2004, 03:25
hey bb,

thanks a lot...what were ur scores like on the PP and PR tests??
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2004, 20:55
I did not use Kaplan but from what I have read in some forums, their verbal questions are not representative of the real GMAT. I don't know if it's CR or RC that are the most convoluted; didn't pay that much attention to the comments since I wasn't using them. I used Official Guide and Princeton Review and their verbal questions were much closer to the real thing. I hear Kaplan is strong on math, and in my experience PR and OG were exceptional for verbal.

Your Powerprep score is more in line with what you should expect. Don't worry about your Kaplan scores - they tend to freak everyone one!
Intern
Intern
Feedback on Verbal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2004, 22:39
Your best bet is the Princeton Review Verbal workout. Get it today. It's got great tips with many sample questions.

Use this forum for the hard questions. You may also want to check out http://www.testmagic.com for additional help if you don't get the answers your looking for here. As much as I like GMAT Club, you have to look out for your best interests in finding effecient resources, multiple resources.

I'd also suggest becoming an active participant on the verbal area of this forum by answering questions and thinking through your answers. Teaching others is actually the best way to solidify what you are learning.

DaveforMBA
Intern
Intern
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2004, 00:15
Thanks all... surely will heed your advice! I have the Princeton 2003 edition.. hope that suffices!
Will keep you guys posted on what the progress is!

Cheerio
Intern
Intern
About Princeton Review book  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2004, 00:36
As good as the main book, I'd still recommend you get the verbal workout book as well. Sounds like this could really help. But like you mentioned, if you haven't gone through the main book, I'd do that first.

By the way, when you go through the questions, I'd highly suggest that you do it actively and not passively. In other words, as you go through the questions, do the following:

1) Do the questions
2) Check the answers. DON'T LOOK at the explanation.
3) Go back and try to figure out why you got it wrong. Make a note as to why you got it wrong. Is there a concept your not catching? Maybe a grammer rule etc...
4) Then if and only you feel like you really understood why a question was wrong, even if it takes 30 minutes to figure out, then go look at the explanations.

Looking at the answers explanation right away is a passive way to study. You end up just saying, "OK, got it" and then the learning is stunted.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2004, 01:49
manan wrote:
hey bb,

thanks a lot...what were ur scores like on the PP and PR tests??

I had 730 or 740 on my PP. I don't remember PR, as I never really used or put effort into it, I mostly trained using Kaplan.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
GMAT Club Bot
  [#permalink] 09 Jun 2004, 01:49

kaplan questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep