GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 01:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Keep the faith

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.45
Keep the faith  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 13:24
This is just a quick post to those who can feel like there's no hope, or no school will take a chance on them.

I am an older candidate with a very unrelated background looking at full-time MBA programs in the US.

At the start of my application journey, I had no idea what I was getting into, so though I knew i had good scores, I wasn't sure where that placed me. I wanted to go to a great school to make a total career change from the best possible starting point.

SO, I wrote in to some consultants on websites. One, who I will not name though she is very well known, looked at a post I made on another site and basically told me that my GMAT score (710, was wondering if I should retake - I did and scored 750) was the least of my worries in apps. She wondered what schools would want from me being that I am older, my gpa was too low, and my background is not standard. Basically she made it sound like I didn't have much of a chance at any school I wanted to attend.

It was just a random comment on the internet, albeit for someone I hoped to receive constructive criticism from (not just outright dismissal), but it still hurt. I started to doubt my chances, but pushed ahead regardless. Others were also less than optimistic, telling me to focus only on one year or EMBA programs. (This seems to be their standard for anyone over 30, alas) I knew that wasn't the right path for me, so again, I kept going, though with more and more doubts and nerves.

This week I was accepted to CBS. I am so happy. I have some other interviews coming up, but at the very least, I am into a great M7 and am really proud. That was my goal. :)

This is just a reminder - those who are commenting on your profiles / essays / career aspirations are only giving their opinions. No matter how well known they might be, how many posts they've made here or on p&q, you are in charge of your future. Keep the faith. Stay the course and do your best. Sometimes great things happen even when THEY say they wont.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Keep the faith  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 19:04
Thanks so much for sharing and congratulations on your admit!!! So happy to hear you got into FT CBS!
Thank you for sharing your path and inspiring others with confidence. How did you feel about your interview?
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 19:15
bb wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing and congratulations on your admit!!! So happy to hear you got into FT CBS!
Thank you for sharing your path and inspiring others with confidence. How did you feel about your interview?

Thanks very much bb - I'm psyched! I thought my interview went well, though it almost seemed too easy... I left feeling 90% like I nailed it, and 10% like perhaps I had just gone into a trance and dreamed the whole thing. Glad to know it was the former. ha
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 19:36
Music2mba wrote:
This is just a quick post to those who can feel like there's no hope, or no school will take a chance on them.

I am an older candidate with a very unrelated background looking at full-time MBA programs in the US.

At the start of my application journey, I had no idea what I was getting into, so though I knew i had good scores, I wasn't sure where that placed me. I wanted to go to a great school to make a total career change from the best possible starting point.

SO, I wrote in to some consultants on websites. One, who I will not name though she is very well known, looked at a post I made on another site and basically told me that my GMAT score (710, was wondering if I should retake - I did and scored 750) was the least of my worries in apps. She wondered what schools would want from me being that I am older, my gpa was too low, and my background is not standard. Basically she made it sound like I didn't have much of a chance at any school I wanted to attend.

It was just a random comment on the internet, albeit for someone I hoped to receive constructive criticism from (not just outright dismissal), but it still hurt. I started to doubt my chances, but pushed ahead regardless. Others were also less than optimistic, telling me to focus only on one year or EMBA programs. (This seems to be their standard for anyone over 30, alas) I knew that wasn't the right path for me, so again, I kept going, though with more and more doubts and nerves.

This week I was accepted to CBS. I am so happy. I have some other interviews coming up, but at the very least, I am into a great M7 and am really proud. That was my goal. :)

This is just a reminder - those who are commenting on your profiles / essays / career aspirations are only giving their opinions. No matter how well known they might be, how many posts they've made here or on p&q, you are in charge of your future. Keep the faith. Stay the course and do your best. Sometimes great things happen even when THEY say they wont.

Indeed !!!

Congratulations to you !!!

and hats off to your determination, grit, positivity, preservence , focus !!!!!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 20:28
Thank you! kumarankit01 :-D

kumarankit01 wrote:
Music2mba wrote:

Indeed !!!

Congratulations to you !!!

and hats off to your determination, grit, positivity, preservence , focus !!!!!!!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 07:19
Congrats! I have to say I was in the same boat as you being an older applicant, and completely agree. There's a lot of noise and it's important for candidates to filter the negativity and focus on the bottom line advice as you point out. And I'll be joining you at Columbia in August!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 03:09

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2019, 22:53
Congratulations! I’m interested in Columbia, too. Like you, I’m older and have a mediocre GPA. My understanding is Columbia is more open to older applicants and values GMAT more than GPA. You give us hope.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Keep the faith   [#permalink] 11 May 2019, 22:53

Keep the faith

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi