Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

GSB or Kellogg?

You may select 1 option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
rhyme

looks like you have already made your decision, as evident by your change in picture there...

;)

I'm just impressed with GSB plain and simple. Kellogg may be great too, and I may well end up there if I get accepted, but right now, I feel a much greater connection to GSB than I do Kellogg.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
This is an interesting thread. I am interested in getting into VC myself and this is precisely why I want to get an MBA from U of Chicago.

I have not yet heard from U of Chicago, so maybe it's a moot point for me.

FYI, Kellogg does have a Private Equity & Entrepreneurship @ Kellogg ("PEEK") club that looks interesting on the Kellogg website.

I'm always skeptical of these clubs. Maybe it's different in grad school, but at an undergrad level, it had zero point other than resume padding.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
This is an interesting thread. I am interested in getting into VC myself and this is precisely why I want to get an MBA from U of Chicago.

I have not yet heard from U of Chicago, so maybe it's a moot point for me.

FYI, Kellogg does have a Private Equity & Entrepreneurship @ Kellogg ("PEEK") club that looks interesting on the Kellogg website.

I'd met few PEEK club members during my visit to Chicago last month and as per them, it caters more to PE than VC. Again, PEEK is a good option even for VC, but stands no where compared to VC activities at EVC@GSB.

p.s. I am no way referring that Kellogg is inferior to GSB, but these are my humble opinions based on the research I've done specifically for VC.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Crowd [#permalink]
I voted Kellogg. And the reason I did so is quite simple: I went to both GSB and Kellogg's presentations in Buenos Aires; and programs, faculty and other factors aside I sensed I would fit better in the Kellogg's alumni "crowd" rather than GSB's one.

Cheers. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Opps... I accidently voted for Kellog when I meant to vote for GSB... Oh well... But anyhow I just feel that GSB has about the best rep out there for finance... The only school that matches it is Wharton and I am not even sure that Wharton beats GSB in finance. Thats a pretty strong point to have on your side!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Crowd [#permalink]
lepium wrote:
I voted Kellogg. And the reason I did so is quite simple: I went to both GSB and Kellogg's presentations in Buenos Aires; and programs, faculty and other factors aside I sensed I would fit better in the Kellogg's alumni "crowd" rather than GSB's one.

Cheers. L.

Its funny you mention this because...

I went to a Kellogg presentation, loved the people even if they did all look like they just shoped at abercrombie and fitch and were previously models and all lived in a fraternity (a kellogg professor once joked to me that "women come here when they realize they wont be 23 anymore").

I went to a GSB presentation and found the alumni boring and not particulary a fun crowd. No one could really articulate much about why they loved the school ('the people') and one girl even seemed nervous.

Kellogg - 1
Chicago - 0

Mind made up right?

Wrong.

I went to GSB's fall preview and met cool fun students with bright ideas and interesting backgrounds and generally just darn nice people. Loved my time there, amazed at the facilities, staff, students and everything else. Gorgeous campus.

Went to Kellogg for a day, admittely not for an event, and went to a class. Loved the class, twas a ton of fun, but the students all seemed sort of half-assed in their comments, and despite obviously being a visitor, not ONE - NOT ONE student came up to me in the class or afterwards and said hello. They one guy I actually tried to strike up a conversation with had nothing at all to say to me. Dissapointed by how little theyve modernized in the last several years, mostly cosmetic crap like putting up some new plate glass here and there.

Chicago - 1
Kellogg - 0
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have boycotted General Mills since I was six. Kellogg('s) all the way :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
Although the GSB flexible curriculum is very attractive, if faced with this almighty decision (thank god I won't be) I would go with Kellogg because I am not a quant jock.

This is generally speaking, my only worry with GSB. I'm much more a creative person than I am a math geek.

being both math geek developing software and creative person doing qualitative research and composing music - i don't see any contradiction.
in fact, i truely believe math is a very creative discipline.

sorry that i have nothing to say to this GSB vs Kellogg. I applied to kellogg phd, but thats because a specific faculty i want to work with.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would not worry too much about the location of the GSB. I have found that people with the most disdain for Hyde Park have rarely (or never) been there. If someone is used to living in a large American urban area, Hyde Park should present no special challenges or dangers. Regardless, many GSB students live downtown anyway.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I definately choose GSB... i got into both part time but when i came across the administration and the staff the GSB staff was MUUUUCH more willing to meet with me and had time... kellogg kinda said we dont have time email us with ur questions and we'll email u back... this kinda shows what kinda effort people will put into ur career after school... also the people at GSB always kept in touch and kellogg hardly ever had any career fairs out in Los Angeles (which means i hardly ever got to meet them)... actually now that i think abt it aside from my visit i never got to speak to anyone at kellogg... i felt that is weak especially because they aren't out there getting the word out on their school and how they line up next to the others... granted they may not need to do that but to be honest i think that all schools should be trying to show why they are better than another school right? anywho i have lots to say about that but not too much time to type :)... i think u get the gist from most of the emails seen here..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
AshikaP wrote:
I definately choose GSB... i got into both part time but when i came across the administration and the staff the GSB staff was MUUUUCH more willing to meet with me and had time... kellogg kinda said we dont have time email us with ur questions and we'll email u back... this kinda shows what kinda effort people will put into ur career after school... also the people at GSB always kept in touch and kellogg hardly ever had any career fairs out in Los Angeles (which means i hardly ever got to meet them)... actually now that i think abt it aside from my visit i never got to speak to anyone at kellogg... i felt that is weak especially because they aren't out there getting the word out on their school and how they line up next to the others... granted they may not need to do that but to be honest i think that all schools should be trying to show why they are better than another school right? anywho i have lots to say about that but not too much time to type :)... i think u get the gist from most of the emails seen here..

So I've been giving this some thought lately...

All totally premature as I have not been accepted to KGSM, and I'm probably waitlisted or denied anyway .... but I was thinking back to Cornell and comparing my admit process there with the one at GSB.

My problems with Cornell were several, but minor. Several emails telling me I'm preselected for a possible full scholarship, only to find out I'm not eligible based on citizenship, is nothing short of irritating and sloppy. Especially when that program is supposed to make the leaders of tomorrow.

The class they sent me to had a guest speaker, it wasn't even a regular class - so I didn't get to see what a class is actually like. A minor detail, but one easily avoided through communication and planning.

A total lack of participation by admissions staff and career services staff, other than the one IT guy (surprise), on their accepted student forums. Almost as bad, the students are never there either to answer questions. Very little camaderie, or so it feels.

GSB, on the other hand, has really gone above and beyond - there are at least a dozen or more 1st and 2nd year students on the admitted site answering questions, nearly a dozen different chairs of clubs starting threads about their clubs and offering up urls, emails, and opportunities to ask questions. Plenty of accepted candidates talking, a congratulatory video thats actually quite impressive, a ton of information about events coming up, prep courses, an admit weekend, classes to take, different curriculum paths, etc. Heck, the admissions people even have a student run blog (run by DSACs). Everything is addressed, and usually in hours, not days. There is a very high level of participation and interaction, even at this early stage of the game and you definetly get the feeling that they are truly there to support you - heck you even get assigned a member of admissions staff as your point of contact for any questions you have. You certainly didn't get that at Cornell. I feel more "connected" with GSB than ever before.

I think back to some of the other stuff GSB has - Steven Levitt - the guy who wrote Freakonomics, certainly not a ground breaking book, but a unique perspective on how to look at economics as a whole, people like Waverly Deutch and her totally wild courses, amazing entreprenuership competitions with several sucessful ones launched, professors that research "new economy" stuff like whether or not ebay is actually a good place to buy things, serious heavy hitters like Ragu Rajan, a heavily involved and (frankly) impressive career staff, faculty run blogs, admission staff blogs, fricking podcasts by the school, very modern and new facilities, and you really start to feel like GSB is at the bleeding edge of MBA programs. It oozes innovation.

Now, in all fairness, for all I know, Kellogg has all this and more when you apply. I recall one thing my interviewer said about Kellogg though - "the facilities and support structure is non-existant, they pretty much use students for everything, it's all volunteer labor. On the one hand, thats great, because you get some real leadership experiences. On the other hand, its not because you don't have a large support staff there". I then think back to my visit and I can see it.... but moreso it's the feeling I got from the place thats holding Kellogg back in my mind. Old (and not a good Harvard-like old) furniture, antiquated facilities, weak attempts at modernizing (hey look its a 20" plasma thrown on the wall), rooms with traditional chalkboards and a small projector but nothing else, study rooms that honestly are so unpleasant I can't imagine why anyone would use them, and then you think of their big names - people like Philip Kotler, who to the best of my knowledge, is still riding the coattails from his one major breakthrough a long long time ago. Some of the trash that was behind a doorway six years ago last time I was there, was still there when I visited. Why in teh world am I talking about trash and facilities when I'm talking about which school has the better program?

A good question. It's not very relevant, is it? That said, I couldn't help but get the feeling that Kellogg was just less bleeding edge than the GSB - everything from facilities, to ideas (eg podcasts / blogs / etc) to faculty. For instance - a case Kellogg was teaching in 1997 on marketing, using ads from the 1980s as the example? Still in use today. On top of that - Not a single student talked to me - not one. Granted, my GSB visit coincided with Fall Preview, and I'm not being fair to Kellogg on this front. Or am I? Why did GSB have such an amazing event such as Fall Preview and Kellogg had nothing? Could it be an indication of what my interviewer had said to me - that Kellogg has a weak support structure and students pretty much do it all? I don't know.

So whats the major downside? GSB scares me. It seems so much more intellectual, so much more, I don't know, not serious, thats not the word, but just less full of hot air? Like you really have to work for your MBA there, a feeling I guess I didn't get about Kellogg. I'll be honest in saying I'm petrified I can't handle GSB.

Might I be mistaken? Absolutely.
Am I getting waaaaaaaaay ahead of myself? Yup.
Is it interesting anyway? Probably.
Will someone totally call me out for forgetting professor X or Y and what they've done? Surely.
Will they be right in doing so? Yup.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Godo points rhyme... and i have to mention u'll jst kinda know if ur meant to be... at least for me....

my interview at univ of chicago was GREEAATT... the girl was friendly she outright told me this is jst to get to know u and so on so forth... i had a GREAT relaxing day in chicago that day and it was bright, sunny and it was jst a refreshing day... the day i had my kellogg interview.. it started raining so i had to bring a extra pair of shoes with me because my others were somewhat open and i would be soaked if ididnt... but luckily it didnt rain much it was jst cold... then on my way to the interview i got out of the stop, tripped and fell... it was quite embarassing and i almost hurt mself... by the time i got to the downtown northwestern campus for my interview i was exhausted and jst tired and still had to do my interview... it was a lot more formal and i was a lot more intimidated and uncomfortable... i knew from then that if i got into both iw ould go to GSB... so a lot of the time u will make ur decision based on visiting... i've heard it everywhere and i definately believe it myself...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Several emails telling me I'm preselected for a possible full scholarship, only to find out I'm not eligible based on citizenship, is nothing short of irritating and sloppy. [/quote]

I thought you were American?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
I'll be honest in saying I'm petrified I can't handle GSB.

As you may know I'm yet to attend an MBA program, but, I have a few friends who have shared their experiences with me. And all of them (1 Stanford alum, 1 Kellogg alum, 1 Chicago alum, 1 student at HBS) all mentioned that despite an important initial effort (1st semester) they coped quite well with the rhythm. They also stressed that even when the MBA experience required dedication and long hours, they had not studied as much as they had done as undergrads. On the other hand, a guy that went to IMD actually freaked me out when he mentioned that as it is a 1-year program it's actually very demanding and he barely slept more than 4 hours a day for several weeks at a time.

But I digress. What I gathered is that if you got in you can almost definitely handle it.

Additionally, Chicago has an extremely flexible curriculum, so apart from the few core courses, you can pretty much choose your path along courses you can feel confortable with.

Hope it helps and G'luck.
Cheers. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
sgrover wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sgrover wrote:
If someone is interested in VC, then Kellogg is no match for GSB. GSB has a one-of-its-kinds "PE/VC" laborarory coursework, where you work 20-hours-a-week with a local chicago VC firm and get credits for this hands-on experience, not to mention the solid contacts and network you build in this process. To all the budding wannabe VCs, this can make all the difference. To add to this, there is a top-notch faculty, some of which have been accomplished VC partners in their previous jobs.

You know, I have no idea what someone in VC really does. Care to enlighten me?

Ask an entrepreneur and he would tell you exactly what a VC does - Sits on a pile of cash (which is ofcourse not his own), makes random decisions whether to fund an idea or not, values the company in an unjustifiable way, asks for a big equity stake, sits on the board of directors and interfere with the day-to-day operations, gets a huge salary and charges an enormous management fees on the fund profit..

just to add: they (VCs) also fire CEOs like Steve Jobs (Ex and current Apple CEO).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
I thought you were American?

I'm not no. I'm one of them crazy foreigners.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just an interesting note... I got a call from a GSB student yesterday to talk about the GSB. The interesting thing is he suggested we meet up in person - and he said he'd come down to me, no problem - I was just a bit surprised at the level of outreach here. Instead of meerly offering to answer questions via email, or have a quick phone convo, he's willing to meet in person. That says something, I think, about the kind of people who go to the GSB.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3