Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 04 Jun 2020, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kenan-Flagler ($$) v McCombs - Healthcare

new topic post reply Update application status  

McCombs v Kenan-Flagler

• 20% [2]
  • 80% [8]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q162 V159
GPA: 3.72
Kenan-Flagler ($$) v McCombs - Healthcare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Dec 2019, 09:04
Hi all,

I’m in a bit of a dilemma—assuming the waitlist for Fuqua doesn’t work out, I’m looking at either Kenan-Flagler (with 40-50% of tuition paid for) or McCombs for 2020.

I come from a client services/project management background at a pharmaceutical agency (the field is called medical communications) in NYC. I’m looking to pivot to the client side of the healthcare industry (management in pharma/biotech).

I took a look at some Kenan-Flagler v McCombs threads around here; while helpful, I couldn’t find one specifically about healthcare. If anyone has any advice to offer about which program would be better suited for me, I’d gladly welcome it. Also, would Fuqua be that much of a step up?

Thanks in advance, and let me know if i need to provide any more info!

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by Fallendomino on 21 Dec 2019, 15:03.
Last edited by Fallendomino on 23 Dec 2019, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge
Re: Kenan-Flagler ($$) v McCombs - Healthcare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 15:16
Given your desire to be in Healthcare, UNC is a much stronger school in Healthcare than McCombs. UNC gets all the major pharma/biotech firms coming to campus such as GSK, J&J, Genentech, Abbott, BMS, Amgen (and this is just from the top of my head), there are plenty more. UNC is actually probably one of the top Healthcare MBA programs in the country. Also with a scholarship, I say its definitely a no-brainer.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 15:18
Welcome to GMAT Club Fallendomino and congrats on your admits!

Thanks for taking a look around. woody93 - current KF student was just commenting in this topic yesterday: https://gmatclub.com/forum/owen-vs-tepp ... l#p2426577 about Healthcare consulting at UNC though you probably would not have found it since it is Tepper/Owen in the subject line.

It seems a pretty solid choice vs. McCombs for your career choice and taking into consideration the scholarship.
Congrats!

P.S. Thanks so much for your input woody93!!! :thumbup:
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 16:14
Thank you, both!

I had a feeling about UNC being better for healthcare (especially considering the research triangle), but this helps confirm my suspicion :)

It may just be an unfounded rumor, but I saw somewhere that UNC’s career management center had less than stellar reviews. Is this something I should be concerned about or am I nit-picking?

Thanks again.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 16:25
I haven’t Heard it for a little while... Did you see that in the reviews? I saw a post from Spring 2018. I think woody would be able to give a better evaluation of the current situation since we are almost 20 months since that review
https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_s ... flagler-20

The career center has three jobs: bring employers to the campus, coordinate with alums for jobs, and finally work with students on improving their weaknesses.

In many of the programs, the career center is a resource available to students. Some schools make it into a machine or a factory such as Anderson where students are not just encouraged but required to go through mandatory improvement sessions, mock interviews, etc. I’m not sure which approach is better but Anderson’s approach definitely works and I feel the more schools adopted the better. At the same time there are people who are able to take advantage and network regardless of the push or pull approach and as long as the career center does a good job in one of these aspects, the others fall in their place. I would definitely pay attention to the career center and their ability to bring employers on campus and work with students.

B

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2019, 19:41
Thanks, bb—I’ll look more into it. I’m not completely sure if the case study method is the right fit for me, but the fact that UNC has a great healthcare reputation definitely tips the scales.

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2019, 19:45
Fallendomino wrote:
Thanks, bb—I’ll look more into it. I’m not completely sure if the case study method is the right fit for me, but the fact that UNC has a great healthcare reputation definitely tips the scales.

Hm... I did not know KF was case-study based.... is that confirmed? I could not confirm it via Google. I know a few people who went but I never asked .... but somehow I think they would have told me...
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2019, 10:08
bb wrote:
Fallendomino wrote:

Hm... I did not know KF was case-study based.... is that confirmed? I could not confirm it via Google. I know a few people who went but I never asked .... but somehow I think they would have told me...

I saw it on Ivy Admissions Group.

Not sure how accurate it is, though.
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2019, 12:17
I say UNC is a hybrid (75% case based and 25% lecture). A lot of our core like finance, economics, and accounting were lecture based but then our operations, strategy, leadership, etc were cased based. I would say UNC follows more of the Darden approach with cases. Also during orientation, we were basically told that our non-core classes would be mostly cased based. Hope that helps!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2019, 12:19
Thank you both! I have learned something new about KF. That is great! I feel KF should advertise that a lot more.

B
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2019, 18:05
Google “Research Triangle Park”, while this term is now mainly associated with the universities in North Carolina it’s a hub for pharmaceutical and medical companies. There is a reason UNC is known for healthcare and a reason McCombs is known for energy. Easy choice IMO. Good luck!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kenan-Flagler ($$) v McCombs - Healthcare   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2019, 18:05

Kenan-Flagler ($$) v McCombs - Healthcare

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate