Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Full scale profile evaluation aka punching bag [#permalink]
Thanks terp for sharing your perspective. Any particular reason you think ross and Fuqua will be relatively easier? what could be a safe school for me?
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: kindly evaluate my profile. Many Thanks [#permalink]
Guys, i will really appreciate some more feedbacks. Kindly spare the time. Solaris, Kryzak, River ripper, :?:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: Full scale profile evaluation aka punching bag [#permalink]
devil420 wrote:
Thanks terp for sharing your perspective. Any particular reason you think ross and Fuqua will be relatively easier? what could be a safe school for me?

They have higher acceptance rates. Anything outside the Top 30 should be "safe" but realize that it is difficult to use this term for any schools due to the randomness of MBA admissions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
devil - there's a lot of fodder for great essays in your profile. I would focus on the entrepreneurial and leadership aspects and not dwell too much on the ICSE examinations. There's a substantial risk of that coming across as a failure and would raise questions about what prompted you to alter career ambitions from the civil services to a venture in a relatively niche market. This is a question you should have a smart answer to anyway.

If you spin this the right way however, and only you can do this, you will have what it takes for a powerful application. Your goals seem reasonably well developed and with a little more refinement would make total sense.

I'm not the best person to comment on extracurriculars, since that's a huge weakness in my own profile. But I think your professional experience will make up for any perceived gaps.

I would say Wharton and Haas should be your top two choices, followed by Kellogg and Tuck. Not sure what particularly attracts you to Yale and Fuqua.

By the way, are you in the 28-30 age range?
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Thanks Solaris.
I intend to write the optional essay on the CSE debacle. otherwise donot intend to talk about it anywhere else. And you have asked the most apt question, age :evil: I will be 32 in Dec 08. Now how much does that mar the chances at Wharton and Haas?
Fuqua is in general considered to be oldie friendly.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
The fact you're 32 is not a dealbreaker, but how you explain those two years you spent studying for the civil services exam and then your subsequent career jump to a test prep venture is going to be crucial.

My guess is that Duke's average age is skewed a bit upwards because of the school's tremendous popularity with ex-military folks. There are schools that prefer early career candidates, but I don't think there are any schools really that are truly "oldie friendly." The ideal age bracket every school is looking at is probably 26-28 years old at matriculation.

The onus therefore is on you to prove that you've accomplished more than your slightly younger peers. Just have this potential issue at the back of your mind when you're finishing your application.

Lastly, bear in mind all of us here are also fellow applicants. So take our advice with a grain of salt. Your own research and fit with a school is naturally very important. Don't apply to a school based on its selectivity or perceived openness to older candidates.
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
point taken mate. thnx
GMAT Club Bot