Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [14]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [2]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
Re: Kitchen Corporation sells a variety of stoves and dishwashers. [#permalink]
Kudos
sm1510 wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION
(1) Identify the Question
The word weakens in the question signals that this is a Weaken the Argument question.

(2) Deconstruct the Argument
Kitchen Corporation loses money on its recently added refrigerator line, and forecasts suggest this will continue. Therefore, to increase profits Kitchen Corporation should stop making refrigerators.

Here is one possible way to map the argument.

KC = stoves + dw

Added refrig but losing money

© Stop refrig → more profit

(3) State the Goal
The goal on a Weaken question is to cast doubt on the conclusion. What would make it is less likely that discontinuing the refrigerator line will increase profits?

(4) Work From Wrong to Right

(A) Just because Kitchen Corporation has a new refrigerator design with a desirable feature does not mean that the refrigerator line will become profitable. For example, the new icemaker feature could be costly to manufacture, resulting in lower profits even if customers like the new model more.

(B) Higher selling price for refrigerators than stoves or dishwashers does not imply anything about the relative or absolute profitability of those products, beyond what the argument already stated.

(C) This choice suggests that having an uncompetitive price is not the issue for Kitchen Corporation’s refrigerators. However, this choice, does not address the profitability of the refrigerator line.

(D) CORRECT. This answer suggests that having a refrigerator line may contribute to company profits beyond just the profits of the refrigerator line itself. If customers prefer all their kitchen appliances to come from the same brand, offering a refrigerator line increases Kitchen Corporation’s ability to sell stoves and dishwashers: not producing refrigerators could hurt sales of other appliances, decreasing profit overall.

(E) If anything, this answer strengthens the argument because it suggests that Kitchen Corporation might be able to use some of the machinery for other purposes if the refrigerator line were discontinued.

from past 2 years , they were selling all the 3 . There must be something new to increase profit .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Cranfield (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
This question seems to be of poor quality.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts