It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 19:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Sick of Refreshing Email
Joined: 10 Mar 2011
Posts: 98

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2012, 18:49
I am confused, the passage says that the magazine will collect fees for the name, then will it matter whether the maker finds the advertising less attractive.
_________________

Thanks
Sumeet
http://www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 22

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 19:24
amit2k9 wrote:
C takes a hit at the revenue.
C it is.



I wish C was written as "makers of OTHER cookware..."

i got confused. With OTHER in there, the answer is very clear. Imagine the other "cookware" companies as girlfriends... they will get jealous and stop talking to you :) grrrrr. got this wrong because I read it wrong

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 75

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 04:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
vladmoney wrote:
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

The argument above assumes which of the following?
a. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.
b. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.
d. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.
e. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines.

I wasn't even close in my guessing, hopefully this is an 800 type question. Please explain your answers. OA will be posted later.


Premise 1: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name for a line of cookware
Premise 2: Licensing the name of the magazine generates some risks since if the products disappoint customers, the magazine's prestige will be affected, therefore, magazine's advertising rev will be impacted negatively.
Premise 3: According the evaluation of some experts, this cookware is the most prestigious brand compare to other brands advertised on Kitchen magazine.
Conclusion: Kitchen magazine can collect licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

Considering the 5 answer choices:
a. This is the refrase of one premise, not an assumption
b. Out of scope answer
c. This is the correct answer. The Kitchen magazine has its own strengths and it can evaluate and agree to license its name to the cookware line. But the cookware line has its own position - it is superior to other brands advertised on Kitchen magazine - and the brand also considers if it's worth to pay for licensing fee on the Kitchen magazine while there are other cookware brands already advertised in this magazine. The assumption close the gap in the argument "yes, I agree with the proposition from you".
d. Out of scope answer
e. The magazine is prestigous, the cookware brand also prestigious. So, one side agree to do business does not mean that the other side also agree.

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2012
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 12:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
i guess the answer is C.

The magazine assumes that other cookware manufacturers will continue to advertise in spite of same product offered under magazine brand name.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 54

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 5

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 10:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
P1: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware.
P2: If the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising.
P3: Experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen.
C1: Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

The magazine reasons that because the cookware is superior to anything else on the market it will not disappoint customers and the magazine will be able to maintain its reputation, circulation, advertising, etc. From this reasoning the magazine concludes that collecting licensing fees from licensing its name to a line of cookware will not endanger its other revenues. We need an assumption that supports this conclusion.

C. "Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product." Correct. If companies find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because magazine's name is associated with a competing product, they will be less likely to advertise in the magazine. This would adversely affect the magazine's advertising revenue and invalidate the conclusion. Therefore, the magazine's conclusion assumes that this will not happen.

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: How easy it is?
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 119

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 174

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 01:58
What's wrong with D? If we negate D, " Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will not be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name." Doesn't it weaken/attack the argument? If readers don't find the product attractive then won't the name of magazine get tarnished as suggested in the premise which in turn would hurt the revenues?

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 174

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1120

Kudos [?]: 2326 [1], given: 219

Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 02:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
nitin6305 wrote:
What's wrong with D? If we negate D, " Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will not be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name." Doesn't it weaken/attack the argument? If readers don't find the product attractive then won't the name of magazine get tarnished as suggested in the premise which in turn would hurt the revenues?


Keep an eye on the conclusion:
Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

D talks about consumers who are NOT regular readers, so even with D negated the argument holds.
D says that "consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will not be attracted", but they could still maintain the regular readers and the other advertisers. The argument is still valid.

With C we are sure that the magazine will lose other revenues: if we negate it
C. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.
===> the other revenues are endangered.
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2326 [1], given: 219

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 194

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 29

Premium Member
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 06:00
nitin6305 wrote:
What's wrong with D? If we negate D, " Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will not be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name." Doesn't it weaken/attack the argument? If readers don't find the product attractive then won't the name of magazine get tarnished as suggested in the premise which in turn would hurt the revenues?


As long as the magazine collects its licensing fee, the revenue generated by the cookware does not matter. As long as the magazine collects its "dough" from the makers of the cookware. Option D affects the makers of the cookware and Option C affects the magazine. The magazine earns revenues from licences not from the sales of the cookware.

Problem comes in for the magazine if the producer of the cookware is not interested in taking up the licence from the magazine because the magazine is already associated with a competitor; at that point the magazine will not earn the revenues.

Keep an eye on the conclusion.
_________________

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: July 27, 2014

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 39

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 15

Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 06:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
C for me too.

Magazine is talking about there decision to be associated with cookware company.

they are assuming that company is willing to be associated. but who knows they are or not.

NEGATION TEST: if the company is NOT willing then conclusion FALL APART. hence proves answer C.
_________________

PLAN >>> EXECUTE >>> MEASURE

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 15

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 41

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2013, 05:55
thutran wrote:
vladmoney wrote:
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

The argument above assumes which of the following?
a. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.
b. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.
d. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.
e. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines.

I wasn't even close in my guessing, hopefully this is an 800 type question. Please explain your answers. OA will be posted later.


Premise 1: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name for a line of cookware
Premise 2: Licensing the name of the magazine generates some risks since if the products disappoint customers, the magazine's prestige will be affected, therefore, magazine's advertising rev will be impacted negatively.
Premise 3: According the evaluation of some experts, this cookware is the most prestigious brand compare to other brands advertised on Kitchen magazine.
Conclusion: Kitchen magazine can collect licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

Considering the 5 answer choices:
a. This is the refrase of one premise, not an assumption
b. Out of scope answer
c. This is the correct answer. The Kitchen magazine has its own strengths and it can evaluate and agree to license its name to the cookware line. But the cookware line has its own position - it is superior to other brands advertised on Kitchen magazine - and the brand also considers if it's worth to pay for licensing fee on the Kitchen magazine while there are other cookware brands already advertised in this magazine. The assumption close the gap in the argument "yes, I agree with the proposition from you".
d. Out of scope answer
e. The magazine is prestigous, the cookware brand also prestigious. So, one side agree to do business does not mean that the other side also agree.



B could be a potential answer, since it states that nobody else uses the licensing of Kitchen,except the line of cookware.

Though, it strengthen our assumption that only the link of cookware is licensed to use Kitchen Magazine...

Pleas throw some light..
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 41

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 832

Kudos [?]: 1593 [0], given: 197

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2013, 06:18
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jaituteja wrote:
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

The argument above assumes which of the following?

b. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.

B could be a potential answer, since it states that nobody else uses the licensing of Kitchen,except the line of cookware.

Though, it strengthen our assumption that only the link of cookware is licensed to use Kitchen Magazine...

Pleas throw some light..


Hi,

conclusion:
KITCHEN can collect fees ==>sure it will not loose other revenues.

now we are concerned only about the consequence which could happen because of this action....and not because what other things KITCHEN magazine will /will not do.

option B says:b. Kitchenwillnot license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.==>this one is out of context...we are not worried about the harms by other action..which kitchen will do in future...hence this is wrong

option C:Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product

NOW IN THIS OPTION it is saying all other makers(not the one from whom kitchen is going to get fese)==>they will not find kitchen less attractive for advertisements...
now if they find KITCHEN less attractive because KITCHEN is going to endrse a competetive product(from whom KICHEN is going to get fees)==>It means other cookware will not advertise in this magazine==>hence it is losing revenue...===>hence this is the assumption ...as it is shattering the conclusion


hope it helps.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1593 [0], given: 197

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 95

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2013, 08:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
vladmoney wrote:
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

The argument above assumes which of the following?
a. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name. Strengthens the argument, not an assumption used in coming to the conclusion.
b. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware. Irrelevant to the question at hand.
c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product. Correct. The stem states the risk of reduced advertising income due to reduced circulation. They are "assuming" that competitors will continue to advertise in Kitchen magazine.
d. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name. Strengthens the argument, not an assumption used in coming to the conclusion.
e. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines. Irrelevant.



Kitchen magazine is seeking to earn new income from the licensing fees and maintain income from Circulation and Advertising. Only the success or failure of the cookware line is seen as affecting income from Circulation and Advertising. They are assuming no other factors come into play. Answer C is one of those assumptions.
_________________

I do not beg for kudos.

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 95

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 148

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 41

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 10:41
Hi,


I am still not able to get why B is incorrect... It passes the negation technique also..

Nothing else causes Y..

If i negate option B, then my conclusion is weakened...

"Kitchenwill license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware"

So, these other products could hamper the reputation of "Kitchen", hence other revenue will be affected...

I might be wrong, but i am more inclined to option B...

Please throw some light...
_________________

MODULUS Concept ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> http://gmatclub.com/forum/hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 41

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Work hard in silence, let success make the noise
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Posts: 159

Kudos [?]: 80 [2], given: 84

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 03:43
2
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reductions in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

The argument above assumes which of the following?

A. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.
B. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
C. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.
D. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.
E. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines.

Source - GMAT Prep
OA -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


Can anybody help me explain this question with proper reasoning?
_________________

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Kudos [?]: 80 [2], given: 84

1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3355

Kudos [?]: 9043 [1], given: 1152

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 04:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
sahilchaudhary wrote:
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reductions in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

The argument above assumes which of the following?

A. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.
B. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
C. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.
D. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.
E. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines.

Source - GMAT Prep
OA -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


Can anybody help me explain this question with proper reasoning?


best strategy.

1) evaluate each sentence of the stimulus

kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware.

a fact

For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reductions in circulation and advertising.

a possible setback of this strategy

However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen.T herefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

shift in the argument and consequentely consclusion

this is the part that the assumption is related and is the key part of the entire argument

A. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.

too extreme: no other line and also a comparison. not related to something that permits to collect fee without endagering the company

B. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.

other than something..........not related

C. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.

Bingo. if the makers FIND the kitchen magazine less attractive, we have less fees and the company is endagered by the magazine. this assumption defends the argument. so is perfect

D. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.

what the reader do is not related to our fee

E. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines.

wheter the magazine is well regognized or not is not related


I hope it helps you. do not esitate to ask if something remains unclear to you
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9043 [1], given: 1152

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Work hard in silence, let success make the noise
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Posts: 159

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 09:06
carcass wrote:
best strategy.

1) evaluate each sentence of the stimulus

kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware.

a fact

For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reductions in circulation and advertising.

a possible setback of this strategy

However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen.T herefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

shift in the argument and consequentely consclusion

this is the part that the assumption is related and is the key part of the entire argument

A. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.

too extreme: no other line and also a comparison. not related to something that permits to collect fee without endagering the company

B. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.

other than something..........not related

C. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.

Bingo. if the makers FIND the kitchen magazine less attractive, we have less fees and the company is endagered by the magazine. this assumption defends the argument. so is perfect

D. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.

what the reader do is not related to our fee

E. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines.

wheter the magazine is well regognized or not is not related


I hope it helps you. do not esitate to ask if something remains unclear to you


Thanks for the excellent explanation.
While doing this question on GMAT Prep, I was confused between A and B, but marked B because it states that Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
I thought since Kitchen can collect its licensing fee without endangering its other revenues, it will do so only for the line of cookware and not any other products.
Hence, I went with B.

Could you please explain the flaw in my reasoning.
_________________

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 84

1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3355

Kudos [?]: 9043 [1], given: 1152

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 10:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Sure :)

Now, I would like you to give an advice: when you face a question (is not important whether is quant like or verbal) try to simplify the argument and put yourself in THAT situation or scenario.

The magazine want to put on a series of cookware its name: for instance a new car is branded by Dolce & Gabbana. Eventually, this is strategy is maded to gain reputation and money (but of course).

The problem is: can we do this without have some cons ?? then, consequentely, the argument and our reasoning MUST be true for our conslcuion: Kitchen can collect its licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

B. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.

Basically here is suggested what : we will not give to ANOTHER LINE of the same product our brand. BUT we are really concerned of what ??? this is said in the second sentence of the stimulus

if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reductions in circulation and advertising

we care about of ads and reputation that could be endagered NOT whether or not we give our name to another line of cookware.

Indeed, B is really far away from the scanario in which we have to draw an assumption.

Hope is clear
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9043 [1], given: 1152

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Work hard in silence, let success make the noise
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Posts: 159

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 23:27
carcass wrote:
Sure :)

Now, I would like you to give an advice: when you face a question (is not important whether is quant like or verbal) try to simplify the argument and put yourself in THAT situation or scenario.

The magazine want to put on a series of cookware its name: for instance a new car is branded by Dolce & Gabbana. Eventually, this is strategy is maded to gain reputation and money (but of course).

The problem is: can we do this without have some cons ?? then, consequentely, the argument and our reasoning MUST be true for our conslcuion: Kitchen can collect its licensing fee without endangering its other revenues.

B. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.

Basically here is suggested what : we will not give to ANOTHER LINE of the same product our brand. BUT we are really concerned of what ??? this is said in the second sentence of the stimulus

if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reductions in circulation and advertising

we care about of ads and reputation that could be endagered NOT whether or not we give our name to another line of cookware.

Indeed, B is really far away from the scanario in which we have to draw an assumption.

Hope is clear


Thanks buddy...its clear now :-D
_________________

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 84

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 358

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 45

Location: United States
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 18:08
Conclusion: Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

Reasoning: Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues only if...
The argument above assumes which of the following?

a. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name. Wrong - Out of scope. The argument is not committed to this. Besides, experts have already found it superior to all other cookware.

b. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware. Wrong - Shell game. Even if Kitchen licenses other products, other revenues may or may not be endangered.

c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product. Correct - The argument is committed to this sentence because it directly addresses that other lines of revenue will not be endangered.

d. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name. Wrong - Whether or not non-regular readers are attracted to the magazine, the argument is committed to how other revenues are affected. Out of scope.

e. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines. Wrong - same reasoning as D. Out of scope.

IMO C

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 45

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10130

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 00:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Re: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2015, 00:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 53 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.