It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 03:27

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 02:12
sleepynut wrote:
Hi all,

It seems like we have two different questions getting merged under the same thread :

1)Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

A. the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make
B. round-the-clock darkness, with frequently sudden blizzards, make
C. round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards make
D. the fact of round-the-clock darkness, with frequent sudden blizzards, making
E. round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards making

I will go with E for this version. "Because of" requires noun,thus the use of "make" is not appropriate.
Option D is out because we have several items that make studying the emperor penguin hard.
Just one question,"making" modifies only the last item of the list or the whole list?
I guess it is for only the last item.Comma is required to modifies the whole list.

2)Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

A. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make
B. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, with frequently sudden blizzards, make
C. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards make
D. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness, with frequent sudden blizzards, making
E. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards making

Presuming the underlined portion cover "of",I will go with C for this version.Option A and B are out since "because of" require noun.The use of "make" is inappropriate.Option D and E are out since "because" requires clause.

No, it is not. The original poster messed up the underlined portion. I rectified the same some time back, and hence you see the difference.

(Note that if the beginning portions or the end portions are same for all the five options, they should NOT have been underlined in the first place - there MUST be differece in at least one option at the beginning and the same is true for the end.)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 05:17
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi all,

It seems like we have two different questions getting merged under the same thread :

1)Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

I will go with E for this version. "Because of" requires noun,thus the use of "make" is not appropriate.
Option D is out because we have several items that make studying the emperor penguin hard.
Just one question,"making" modifies only the last item of the list or the whole list?
I guess it is for only the last item.Comma is required to modifies the whole list.

2)Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

A. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make
B. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, with frequently sudden blizzards, make
C. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards make
D. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness, with frequent sudden blizzards, making
E. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards making

Presuming the underlined portion cover "of",I will go with C for this version.Option A and B are out since "because of" require noun.The use of "make" is inappropriate.Option D and E are out since "because" requires clause.

No, it is not. The original poster messed up the underlined portion. I rectified the same some time back, and hence you see the difference.

(Note that if the beginning portions or the end portions are same for all the five options, they should NOT have been underlined in the first place - there MUST be differece in at least one option at the beginning and the same is true for the end.)

Ohh!! sorry for the confusion.My bad!! :oops: :oops:
I think the modified question will have something written underneath like "last edited by".Well,this may not the case for this question.
Once again,can you please help me with my question?

In this question there are 4 impediments to the study of emperor king penguin.Let's name them as P,Q,R and S.
In the construction of P,Q,R and S making.....
Is the modifier applied to only the last item of this list?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 05:24
sleepynut wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi all,

Ohh!! sorry for the confusion.My bad!! :oops: :oops:
I think the modified question will have something written underneath like "last edited by".Well,this may not the case for this question.
Once again,can you please help me with my question?

In this question there are 4 impediments to the study of emperor king penguin.Let's name them as P,Q,R and S.
In the construction of P,Q,R and S making.....
Is the modifier applied to only the last item of this list?

Absolutely. Your understanding is correct - please refer to his post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/knowledge-of ... l#p1768488

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 05:43
Could you please suggest the OA. Most of the comments point to C as the answer but the timer shows E as the answer. Please advice.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 10:32
mbaprep2017 wrote:
Could you please suggest the OA. Most of the comments point to C as the answer but the timer shows E as the answer. Please advice.

E is alright. Please refer to this post for explanation:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/knowledge-of ... l#p1768488

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 01:49
Correct option is C. Perfect parallel structure. In E, the word making is modifying Billzards which is wrong.
I really want to know the source of these questions.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: ISB '19
GPA: 2.2
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 02:23
In comparison between C and E ,
Use of "make" gives sense that only last item of the list is making certain things

"Verb+ing" form modifies a clause so gives clear meaning that complete list is the cause.
Moderators please suggest
WaterFlowsUp Abhishek009 mikemcgarry

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 18:16
tinashine20 wrote:
Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

I concur with answer E. While I can't explain it in technical terms it may help to think of the answer in the following way:

Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of:
1. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit,
2. round-the-clock darkness, and
3. frequent sudden blizzards -- making the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter

Answer C only makes sense when you focus on the very end of the sentence without regard for the framework that the beginning establishes.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 21:17
tinashine20 wrote:
Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

Hi

Can someone explain me the use of "Frequent" and "Frequently" here.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Schools: HEC Montreal '20

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 08:33
has been gained slowly because of high winds= PROGRESSIVE TENSE
MAKING - CORRECT
HENCE E AND NOT C

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.25
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 21:38
tinashine20 wrote:

This is an example of parallelism. Because of A, B, and C <blah blah>. Round the clock darknes is parallel with high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit. We don't need a verb make but require a participle making. DOne!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 71

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 22:39
daagh wrote:

This is the edited format; without editing, it will be pointless to attempt to solve the question without the edited version.
1. First, ‘'because of ' is a prepositional phrase. Hence, a verb would not suit the context. A and B are out.

2. On the contrary, because is a subordinate conjunction. A present participle such as ‘making’ would make the sentence verbless and a fragment. Therefore, D and E are out.

3. The remaining C is the final winner. The wrong combinations are highlighted below.

C. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards make -- correct

Hello Sir,

Please excuse me if i am wrong but if we choose C will it not be joining 2 independent clauses with a 'comma' because of the verb 'make'? Whereas in E, the helping verb 'making' creates a dependent clause which can be joined with an independent clause. Or am i missing something here?

Thanks.
Tejas

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 24

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 00:58
tinashine20 wrote:

The answer is E
The main split of the sentence is the list of causes that make it difficult to study the behavior of emperor penguin .
The correct should be like X,Y,and Z

A it is wordy because of the" phrase the fact of round-the-clock darkness " and we need adjective here so frequently is wrong
B the list is improper we need and to connect the last item in the list of causes .
C wrong as we do not have proper subject of the verb make .This makes the sentence a run on Notice that the causes are all in prepositional phrase so they can not be the subject of the sentence .
D "the fact of round-the-clock darkness" again use of with is wrong
E correct -list is proper and we have verb-ing modifier thus the subject mistake of the original is rectified.

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 04:26
Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, ---- round-the-clock darkness ---- sudden blizzards ---- the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

A. the fact of / and frequently / make
B. - / , with frequently / , make
C. - / , and frequent / make
D. the fact of / , with frequent / , making
E. - / , and frequent / making

I slightly modified the question so as to see the differing parts better.

1- "the fact of" causes a parallelism issue.

2- Unlike "and", "with" links "sudden blizzards" to "round-the-clock-darkness" with no justification.

3- A comma is needed before "and" (if there are more than two things in a row, a comma and a conjunction (and) is needed before the last one)

4- "frequently" modifies "sudden" whereas "frequent" modifies "blizzards" and we want to modify "blizzards", not "sudden".

5- "make" would be correct if the conjunction "because", not because of", were used.

6- A comma before "making" causes the part after the comma to modify the whole sentence, which is not what we want to do. I do not agree with the view that "making" modifies only "sudden blizzards". The phrase is "because of X, Y, and Z('s) DOING something", not "because of X, Y, and Z('s), DOING something".

Any comment on my understanding is highly appreciated.

Seize the day.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2017, 04:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 54 posts ] 

Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap