GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 May 2019, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 02:03
2asc wrote:
What does 'which' refer to? I feel like it is the purchase that gave the US land, not the territory. Also, the land cannot give US control of the river, but the purchase can.

Assuming that which is referred to the purchase, can someone please confirm that the touch rule does not apply when the noun is followed by prepositional phrase?
I'm not sure what you mean by the "touch rule", but there is no rule in English that restricts what a relative pronoun can refer to in situations like this one. For example:

The last goal of the match, which...

1. The last goal of the match, which had gone into overtime...
2. The last goal of the match, which was scored by...

Both (1) and (2) are acceptable.
B
Re: Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 14:36
AjiteshArun wrote:
2asc wrote:
What does 'which' refer to? I feel like it is the purchase that gave the US land, not the territory. Also, the land cannot give US control of the river, but the purchase can.

Assuming that which is referred to the purchase, can someone please confirm that the touch rule does not apply when the noun is followed by prepositional phrase?
I'm not sure what you mean by the "touch rule", but there is no rule in English that restricts what a relative pronoun can refer to in situations like this one. For example:

The last goal of the match, which...

1. The last goal of the match, which had gone into overtime...
2. The last goal of the match, which was scored by...

Both (1) and (2) are acceptable.

Doesn't which usually refer to the word right before the comma? If both cases are correct, how do we decipher if both examples you gave are in the options?
From my understanding of OA of this question, if the structure of the sentence is noun + prepositional, 'which' will reference the noun before the prepositional, and not the noun within the prepositional. Are you sure the two are interchangeable?
Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 14:40
VeritasKarishma

Hi Karishma! Do you mind looking at my response above and clarify my confusion? Thanks!
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 19:48
2asc wrote:
Doesn't which usually refer to the word right before the comma? If both cases are correct, how do we decipher if both examples you gave are in the options?
From my understanding of OA of this question, if the structure of the sentence is noun + prepositional, 'which' will reference the noun before the prepositional, and not the noun within the prepositional. Are you sure the two are interchangeable?
Thanks for your help!
I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what the "touch rule" is. That will help me better answer your question (I interpreted your "please confirm that the touch rule does not apply when the noun is followed by prepositional phrase" question as "please confirm that a which can refer to a noun that is not literally 'touching' the which"). Meanwhile, to get an idea of how messy relative pronouns can get, you could take a look at this post.

Generally speaking, if there are multiple nouns before a relative pronoun in an option, we may need to take that option out for ambiguity (after checking the other options). That does not mean, however, that there is a "rule" restricting what the which can refer to. If you are asking whether I am sure about that, I am. :)
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 20:32
AjiteshArun wrote:
2asc wrote:
Thanks for your help!
I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what the "touch rule" is. That will help me better answer your question (I interpreted your "please confirm that the touch rule does not apply when the noun is followed by prepositional phrase" question as "please confirm that a which can refer to a noun that is not literally 'touching' the which"). Meanwhile, to get an idea of how messy relative pronouns can get, you could take a look at this post.

Generally speaking, if there are multiple nouns before a relative pronoun in an option, we may need to take that option out for ambiguity (after checking the other options). That does not mean, however, that there is a "rule" restricting what the which can refer to. If you are asking whether I am sure about that, I am. :)

Thanks for the link! I understand that it is okay to reach behind the prepositional, given that there is compelling reason to do so.
In terms of this question, is there sufficient reason to assume that 'the purchase' gave US land? I understand that the OA is the most correct answer (through POE), but I don't think I can automatically justify the reach-over.
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 04:18
2asc wrote:

Well, for what it's worth (since it seems to be an unofficial question), one could argue that the purchase was that of Louisiana territory, and this territory provided the United States with new land, a strategic military position, and control of the entire Mississippi River valley.

For example, it would be perfectly find to say that US purchased Alaska and Alaska gave US, access to vast oil reserves (the purchase gave US, access to vast oil reserves would be fine as well).

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
GMAT Club Bot
Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 04:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Known to its considerable opposition as "Seward's Folly", the purchase

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap