Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [22]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 670 Q51 V30
GPA: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32876 [3]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines [#permalink]
Kudos
The question does not mention that they are concerned about profits.
B can possibly a weakner, if they were more concerned about profits than about frequency of patients Leaving there bed.

E can be weakner since visitors can get them the bottles to the bed.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32876 [2]
Send PM
Re: Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
warrior1991 wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinja carcass GMATninja2 abhimahna

I think this question needs a comprehensive answer.

There is no mention of the profits. Also I know bottles can be reused,but can CANS be reused.So according to me B is out of scope but unfortunately B is the correct answer.
Please help.

IMO C . C provides an alternate reason .Since competitors were selling "ONLY 500ml bottles",this forced Kooclaka to sell 500ml bottles.

Ok, guys. Start with what we do know. We must weaken the argument, so undermine the conclusion.

The arguments tell us

Quote:
Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines to sell cans or bottles of soft drinks and individual packages of snacks.

Here, we do know that the company sells something. Just a premise. Who cares.............

When the management of Kooclaka considered whether to fill vending machines in hospitals with 330ml or 500ml cans or bottles, it decided to sell only 500ml bottles, because patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle.

this is our central argument, the management can fill the machines with either with 330ml or 500 ml in cans or bottles (according to the argument is the same) BUT consider the patients buy them not so often is better to sell the bigger bottles; they (the patients because for logic is the only reasonable antecedents but also could be the company) prefer the 500ml bottles.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. All Kooclaka’s products are manufactured by the same manufacturer. Easy.]This tells us nothing about how to weaken the argument. Completely off

B. The revenues from selling 500ml bottles are 5% less than for 500ml cans.

The entire argument rotates around the economic concept of convenience. Considering B we can have a 5% loss; if the company sells to the patients 500 ml in bottles rather in cans, they are more profitable in this last format.

C. Kooclaka’s competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals. Easy. The competitors and what they do is not of our interest.

D. More 330ml bottles than 500ml bottles can be put in a vending machine. Easy. The option to fill more pieces in the vending machine do not tell us about convenience. Profit or loss in selling our cans or bottles in 300ml or 500ml.

E. The average number of visitors is 2.3 per hospital patient. Easy. The average tells us nothing about the argument and how to weaken it

Bottom line: stay close to the conclusion of the argument. Moreover, this is not, if we wanna be picky, a 700 level but the inferior level: 600/700.

Ask for further assistance.

Regards
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32876 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
The stem says exactly this

Quote:
When the management of Kooclaka considered whether to fill vending machines in hospitals with 330ml or 500ml cans or bottles, it decided to sell only 500ml bottles, because patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle.

The company and its management goal is to sell via vending machine 330ml OR 500ml cans or bottles AND it took the decision to sell 500ml bottles because of the beds by patients are not so many.

What do you infer from this ?? the company wants to have what ?? a profit or it is a charity ??

Going to C.

The decision point is which format is better to sell. IF the company sells bottles it losts revenue in the order of 5%. As such, would be better to sell 500ml cans in the vending machine.

Quote:
B. The revenues from selling 500ml bottles are 5% less than for 500ml cans.

C talks about

Quote:
Kooclaka’s competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals.

What company's competitor do is not OUR concern. Our goal is to decide IF the company is right selling 500ml bottles, and the answer (weaken) is NO. The company is wrong because of IF it sells those bottles, it will lose money in the order of 5%.

Make sense now ?? :-)

Regards
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The problem in that is "we assume." We cannot assume that visitors buy more than patients. In fact, if we think about the real-life scenario, a patient spents far more time in the hopsital than their 2.3 visitors do! In any case, since E says nothing about visitors' preferences, there is no reason to go against the existing plan. E definitely does not work.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines to sell cans or bottles of soft drinks and individual packages of snacks. When the management of Kooclaka considered whether to fill vending machines in hospitals with 330ml or 500ml cans or bottles, it decided to sell only 500ml bottles, because patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle.

A. All Kooclaka’s products are manufactured by the same manufacturer. --Doesn't matter
B. The revenues from selling 500ml bottles are 5% less than for 500ml cans. --Correct. If cans make more profit for the firm then cans should be prefered over bottles
C. Kooclaka’s competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals. --Doesn't matter.
D. More 330ml bottles than 500ml bottles can be put in a vending machine. --Few people will but 330ml
E. The average number of visitors is 2.3 per hospital patient. --This strengthens the argument
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
mikemcgarry GMATNinja carcass GMATninja2 abhimahna

I think this question needs a comprehensive answer.

There is no mention of the profits. Also I know bottles can be reused,but can CANS be reused.So according to me B is out of scope but unfortunately B is the correct answer.
Please help.

IMO C . C provides an alternate reason .Since competitors were selling "ONLY 500ml bottles",this forced Kooclaka to sell 500ml bottles.
Director
Director
Send PM
Thank you carcass for providing a detailed answer.

However I am still not clear as to where in the argument profit angle is talked about.We are assuming that argument revolves in terms of economic sense.Also you striked out C without providing enough explaination.
Also we are also assuming that CANS can be reused because in argument nowhere it is said that cans are reusable.

Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Send PM
Thank you carcass again. This time a big one though.

You should answer one last question ,which I already mentioned before,of mine.

We are still assuming that CANS are reusable . It is not mentioned in the question stem that cans are also reusable though it is said that the patients prefer 500 larger AND REUSABLE BOTTLES.

Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Please explain E option.
I think that according to question premises, nowhere revenue profits are considered (though that is the goal of companies.). Here only patients in hospital are considered in premises. So option E considers visitors as well(and that too number >1) which calls into doubt whether visitors will prefer other varities.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
The problem with E is that it doesn't give us any reason to go against what the patients want. It doesn't say, for instance, that visitors prefer a small can. We don't even know whether visitors actually use the machines more, let alone whether they have some other preference. B, on the other hand, gives a competing consideration. It may not be very compelling (Go against hospital patients' wishes just to get a slight boost in per-unit profit? Really?!?), but at least it pushes against the bottle decision. None of the other choices do, except maybe D, but we don't know whether there is any benefit to stuffing in a larger number of bottles. Maybe the machines are refilled quite regularly, or maybe any loss in sales volume is made up for by greater profits.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
I still have the feeling that E would weaken the conclusion significantly.

If we assume the number of visitors to be a significant factor, the stocks might target the wrong audience, patients rather than visitors, and thus the vending machines might be utilized suboptimally.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
This question does't seem like GMAT CR question.

We are vacillating between B and E.
In both option, we need to assume something and both assumption can be true.
Let's discuss first E,
Average number of visitors is 2.3 per patient.
Though it is not mentioned that visitors buy snacks from vending machine or not, we assume that they will buy more drinks and vendor is placing 500ml bottles for those visitors.

Now come to B,
Revenue from 500ml bottles is 5% less than 500ml cans.
Here we have to assume that only patients has access to vending machine.

But see, Kooclaka is doing business and must not be restricted to only patients.
I think E is better than B.

gmatexam439 wrote:
Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines to sell cans or bottles of soft drinks and individual packages of snacks. When the management of Kooclaka considered whether to fill vending machines in hospitals with 330ml or 500ml cans or bottles, it decided to sell only 500ml bottles, because patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle.

A. All Kooclaka’s products are manufactured by the same manufacturer. --Doesn't matter
B. The revenues from selling 500ml bottles are 5% less than for 500ml cans. --Correct. If cans make more profit for the firm then cans should be prefered over bottles
C. Kooclaka’s competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals. --Doesn't matter.
D. More 330ml bottles than 500ml bottles can be put in a vending machine. --Few people will but 330ml
E. The average number of visitors is 2.3 per hospital patient. --This strengthens the argument
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts