Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS, MIT, Kellogg
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
My colleague who works with me is in a supervisory role. Officially I do not report to him. He wrote a letter recommending me for B-School admissions claiming that he is my supervisor. I requested him to keep my aim of going to B-School confidential. Other than this, I did not lie about my salary, job, title, grades, nothing.

I am freaked out now what if they call up the HR only to find out that my colleague is not my manager. Not only that I will fail the background check but my employer will find out that I was planning to quit.

Please help me.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Why would he claim to be your supervisor? If you didn't get a chance to read it, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most schools offer you a chance to write the recommender's title and "relationship to you". As long as you make it clear that the "releationship to you" is not a direct, immediate supervisor, you should be fine. However, if you did put immediate supervisor (or anything of that nature that reflects the recommender to be your direct boss), then that'll be a different case. Reading and interpreting what you said, I don't think that's what you did.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
I don't think the supervisor question is that big of a deal. Informal supervisory relationships exist everywhere. I've got somewhere around six people that would legitimately claim to be my boss. Two of them wrote recommendations for me. Worry if the guy is actually your buddy and can't talk in a meaningful way about your supervisory relationship.

I've done verification interviews for people getting vetted for Top Secret clearances, and the questions there are designed to ensure that the applicant told the truth on his application and that the verifier is also telling the truth about who they are. Don't sweat it and be honest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q50  V38
Send PM
piggles wrote:
I don't think the supervisor question is that big of a deal. Informal supervisory relationships exist everywhere. I've got somewhere around six people that would legitimately claim to be my boss. Two of them wrote recommendations for me. Worry if the guy is actually your buddy and can't talk in a meaningful way about your supervisory relationship.

I've done verification interviews for people getting vetted for Top Secret clearances, and the questions there are designed to ensure that the applicant told the truth on his application and that the verifier is also telling the truth about who they are. Don't sweat it and be honest.

I'm at a start-up, and while there's no direct supervision here, there's an implied relationship between you and your peers. Ie, if the guy's older than me and his title is VP, EVP, etc, he's my boss. If you worked on items together and you reported to him/worked with him and he talked about that relationship, you got nothing to worry about.

For me, one of my recommenders resigned. I told CBS, and they said not to worry. If he's still willing to provide verification to Kroll, which he is, then it's not a problem.

Don't sweat it. If the guy is senior to you (and not another analyst, etc), you're fine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM

Originally posted by globalcitizen on 19 Dec 2010, 18:47.
Last edited by globalcitizen on 25 Jan 2011, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
If you worked for a company for just 1 month back in 2006 but jumped ship to your current firm, is that something you should put down on your resume and application? I left it out since it was such a short stint that i thought it's inconsequential. My guess is Kroll can't find out about that unless they ask me for my W-2 forms from back in 2006.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I might be in a situation where I'm thinking about accepting two offers from two different schools (and deciding in the summer where to go). I'm ok putting down the deposit for both (realizing that it's the cost of such option). If both schools use Kroll, are they going to have some problem doing my background check and telling the schools that I have accepted both?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I read through this entire thread on Kroll, and still have a few questions that havent been addressed:

a) Do b-schools initiate the background checks soon after I pay the enrollment fee, or do they do it at once for all students from all rounds during the summer? I am a Rd 1 admit, and was wondering if I need to wait a few months or if I can finish this off in Jan itself after paying down the enrollement fee?

b) When Kroll calls up the recommenders, is it merely to verify the recommender's existence, our relationship, how long we have known each other, and other easily identifiable facts? Or, will Kroll dig into my work accomplishments stated on my resume? For ex, if i wrote on my resume that I led the development of process x and achieved y and raised revenue by approximately z, will Kroll ask my recommender to confirm the accuracy of that statement? Although my recommender was my supervisor, he may not necessarily be able to confirm that statement... how much revenue I helped increase was not a very clear-cut number, and I sort of had to make my best guess at it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
AndrewFlintoff wrote:
I read through this entire thread on Kroll, and still have a few questions that havent been addressed:

a) Do b-schools initiate the background checks soon after I pay the enrollment fee, or do they do it at once for all students from all rounds during the summer? I am a Rd 1 admit, and was wondering if I need to wait a few months or if I can finish this off in Jan itself after paying down the enrollement fee?

Sorry but you're going to have to wait most likely. Schools normally do b/g checks in late spring once applicants from all rounds have been admitted. In the case of Cornell for instance, background checks this year were literally a week before classes started.

AndrewFlintoff wrote:
b) When Kroll calls up the recommenders, is it merely to verify the recommender's existence, our relationship, how long we have known each other, and other easily identifiable facts? Or, will Kroll dig into my work accomplishments stated on my resume? For ex, if i wrote on my resume that I led the development of process x and achieved y and raised revenue by approximately z, will Kroll ask my recommender to confirm the accuracy of that statement? Although my recommender was my supervisor, he may not necessarily be able to confirm that statement... how much revenue I helped increase was not a very clear-cut number, and I sort of had to make my best guess at it.

They normally ask the recommender whether they know you, how long they've known you and in what capacity. They might ask another question or two, but all questions are normally high level and rarely pertain to specific projects.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
ariel wrote:
AndrewFlintoff wrote:

Sorry but you're going to have to wait most likely. Schools normally do b/g checks in late spring once applicants from all rounds have been admitted. In the case of Cornell for instance, background checks this year were literally a week before classes started.

For cornell, which company do they use? Also do they call Recommendors only? I used the Recommendors from my previous company as i have only been at my current company for about 7 months and i haven't told them about my plans for Bschool. How would they verify about my current company? or can i submit pay stubs? Actually could you just explain how the process for Cornell works? I appreciate the response thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hii, i went through most of the previous posts and see that almost all are employed with some company or the other. my question is how would kroll run a background check for self employed people? i mean i have been running a small investment and VC firm for the last 5 years. if they have to verify my current work they would have to call me!! i have no issues with respect to transcripts, gpa, test scores. also my recommenders are my clients (i have opted for clients after mailing the adcom) one of the recommender's has official mail (her office email) and the other a public sector employee doesnt have an official mail (though i have no issues kroll talking to them though) also my previous employer a financial services firm went out of business 5 years ago, so how would they check that? i am curious and eager to know the process for self employed types. I have a wharton interview invite.
please, somebody with a self employed background can shed some light on my queries (or anyone with some knowledge on the process)
regards and a happy new year to all of you,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys even I would like to know about self employed people. What is the process? I am an international and an entrepreneur. What all documents will I need to submit? Do they specifically ask for tax returns etc?
Current Student
Send PM
I wouldn't worry too much about this background check. These schools invested a lot of time and effort into picking their students. I am assuming that you are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Even if something comes up as inconsistent, you can always explain yourself and provide some kind of proof and you should be fine.

Just my two cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
My CBS Kroll background check is complete

All they verified was my current employment. That's it. No recommendations.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
SaMoCU wrote:
My CBS Kroll background check is complete

All they verified was my current employment. That's it. No recommendations.

Posted from my mobile device

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, SaMoCU!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Awesome SaMoCU, congratulations and all the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
What if my starting and ending dates aren't exact, like maybe 3-4 weeks off??
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16