Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Re: Kryzak’s Long and Windy Road to B-School [#permalink]
nick_sun wrote:
To prospective applicants: one additional note about schools - if you need to finance your studies (that is $150-170 K), you may want to choose the schools that guarantee your loans. At least, M7 schools do so.

As does Ross :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
hopefully Haas will have it soon...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
nice writeup. i was one of the people who told you that you couldn't make a wrong choice and my vote was for kellogg. but it always seemed like you had haas deep down in your heart.

RVD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
kryzak, kudos for a brilliant writeup! Especially the part where you quote Accepted.com's assessment at the end (IMHO, this should be a sticky)

As another west coast fan, I'd love to stick around, especially in the SF Bay Area. Haas is way up on my list, but its acceptance stats are a concern. I believe the acceptance rate is only around 12-13% of applicants.

I know you had a badass GMAT score, good essays and a strong interview. Besides these, are there any other significant factors that you attribute your successful application to? As in - how would you rate the following in terms of importance - campus visits, volunteer work/other non-work leadership experience, progress at work - promotions/awards, applicant profile (age, nationality) etc.

Apologies if this has already been addressed before. I have been intermittently active on just the GMAT forum so far, and haven't really had a chance to look beyond but this post made me realize that I need to take a step back and think things through a little..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
incognito1 wrote:
I know you had a badass GMAT score, good essays and a strong interview. Besides these, are there any other significant factors that you attribute your successful application to? As in - how would you rate the following in terms of importance - campus visits, volunteer work/other non-work leadership experience, progress at work - promotions/awards, applicant profile (age, nationality) etc.

Apologies if this has already been addressed before. I have been intermittently active on just the GMAT forum so far, and haven't really had a chance to look beyond but this post made me realize that I need to take a step back and think things through a little..

Hi incognito. Thank you for the kudos. As for Haas' acceptance rate, that is always a concern for anyone, but I honestly believe that if you have the ability to get into any of the top 10 schools, you have a good shot at Haas. In terms of ranking things besides GMAT, essays, and interview, I would say your work experience and demonstration of progress at work is key. If you can also show that you're active outside of work (whether it's volunteering, a club, or a hobby you're passionate about), that will frame you as the "well rounded" candidate that Haas seeks.

I really can't pinpoint exactly why I got in, other than tidbits that I got from speaking with the adcom. They pretty much said that my background (going from Engineering to Business Development and being very successful at it) and my passion for all the different things I do in my life (two of my essays were about tennis, if that gives you an idea :P) were what they were looking for.

Definitely read through some posts in the "Knowledge Vault" (link in my signature) and really start planning. It's mid-May already, and the next season is starting soon for the early birds like you. It's a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but give yourself a week or two of sorting out all the posts on GMATClub and taking some notes, then you will have a much better picture of what you want to do and how you want to attack your application.

Oh yeah, and always write a detailed profile for Accepted.com to evaluate, so you can quote it later on when you get into schools against all odds. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
In terms of ranking things besides GMAT, essays, and interview, I would say your work experience and demonstration of progress at work is key. If you can also show that you're active outside of work (whether it's volunteering, a club, or a hobby you're passionate about), that will frame you as the "well rounded" candidate that Haas seeks.

I really can't pinpoint exactly why I got in, other than tidbits that I got from speaking with the adcom. They pretty much said that my background (going from Engineering to Business Development and being very successful at it) and my passion for all the different things I do in my life (two of my essays were about tennis, if that gives you an idea :P) were what they were looking for.

Definitely read through some posts in the "Knowledge Vault" (link in my signature) and really start planning. It's mid-May already, and the next season is starting soon for the early birds like you. It's a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but give yourself a week or two of sorting out all the posts on GMATClub and taking some notes, then you will have a much better picture of what you want to do and how you want to attack your application.

Oh yeah, and always write a detailed profile for Accepted.com to evaluate, so you can quote it later on when you get into schools against all odds. :P

Thanks kryzak, this is very helpful. As a next step, let me go through some of the earlier posts including ones from the knowledge vault.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
thanks a lot for sharing your wonderful experience. congratulations for getting admit in haas
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
thank you for the kind words howard. :) Hope I can help you and other 2009'ers this fall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Hey Kryzak, great posts. Very insightful. Thanks guy :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2