Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four mil [#permalink]
Expert Reply
niyatisuri wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, egmat

Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

(C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them

I suppose 'as' is used to compare between two actions/clauses. However, here we are comparing two nouns i.e. land areas, so usage of as is incorrect?
Please let me know if my analysis was incorrect.

Hello niyatisuri,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "as" is actually not incorrect here, since the comparison is drawn between "is about the same size" and "Great Britain's land area (is)" - the second verb is hidden; remember, in comparison statements, a repeated verb can be omitted for the sake of clarity.

The real error in Option C is that it alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "but in Laos with a population of only four million people"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that Laos has a land area comparable to the land area of Great Britain, but it has a population of only four million people, and many of them are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north. Further, Option C suffers from a pronoun error, as "many" - used as a pronoun here - lacks a clear referent. Additionally, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase "the same size as Great Britain's land area", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four mil [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
niyatisuri wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, egmat

Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.

(C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them

I suppose 'as' is used to compare between two actions/clauses. However, here we are comparing two nouns i.e. land areas, so usage of as is incorrect?
Please let me know if my analysis was incorrect.

I'd say the problem here is redundancy. Consider a few simple examples:

1) Tim's height is comparable to Dan's.

That seems fine. We're comparing Tim's height to Dan's height. The two are comparable.

2) Tim is about the same size as Dan.

Also fine. We're using the word "size" to communicate info about their measurements.

3) Tim's height is about the same size as Dan's.

Something funky is going on here. Why would we need both "height" and "size" here? "Height" is information about a person's size. So at best, it's redundant info. And does a height itself have a size, the way a person does? We can write "Tim's height is 6 feet," but can we write, "Tim's height has a size of 6 feet?" I don't see why we would. At the very least, it's more confusing than our first two constructions.

(C) is most similar to example #3 above. It makes sense to say that one land area is similar to another land area, as (E) does. But to say that one land area's size is similar to another land area's size is, at best, redundant, since "land area" itself conveys information about size.

Clear and concise beats redundant and confusing every time.

The takeaway: the issue isn't that "as" is used to compare nouns in (C), but rather, that the logic is problematic. If you saw, "Tim is as tall as Dan," it wouldn't be terribly productive to agonize over whether you're comparing the nouns "Tim" and "Dan" or the clauses "Tim is" and "Dan [is.]" What matters is that the comparison makes perfect sense, so the construction is okay. When in doubt, this should be the star you steer by.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four mil [#permalink]
Hey guys, I've seen people say that "many" is used as a pronoun in choice C, but I'm quite confused.

Is one of the key issues with C not the pronoun issue concerning "them" (not "many"), which must refer back to a plural noun? Doesn't the word (pronoun) "them" lack a logical referent, rendering C useless right away? I'm confused as to why there was discussion focusing on the word "many" instead of the word "them" here.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PVOG wrote:
Hey guys, I've seen people say that "many" is used as a pronoun in choice C, but I'm quite confused.

Is one of the key issues with C not the pronoun issue concerning "them" (not "many"), which must refer back to a plural noun? Doesn't the word (pronoun) "them" lack a logical referent, rendering C useless right away? I'm confused as to why there was discussion focusing on the word "many" instead of the word "them" here.

You're right that "them" doesn't properly refer back to "people" in answer C, because the sentence structure in C is a bit of a mess. But if C were rephrased so it was a proper sentence, it could be possible for "them" to correctly refer to "people" (the only earlier plural in the sentence), so perhaps that's why others in the thread haven't commented on it -- there are several reasons why C is wrong here.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja, IanStewart, could you please help elaborate on the use of "whom" in option E?

My understanding is that "whom" is used if the noun which "whom" refers to is the object of the verb. In the context of option E, last clause ( "many of whom are members of hill tribes..." ), how does this work out?
Verb: are
Subject: many
Object: members of hill tribes
Please correct me if I am wrong here, but unable to figure out how does "whom" fit in here? Is this another use case of "whom"?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
toothless123 wrote:
My understanding is that "whom" is used if the noun which "whom" refers to is the object of the verb. In the context of option E, last clause ( "many of whom are members of hill tribes..." ), how does this work out?

Is this another use case of "whom"?

Technically, yes, it is a different case. We do use "whom", at least in very formal writing, when it is an object of a verb. We also use it in what is called the "genitive case" in grammar jargon -- that is, when we use "of whom" or "of them" to talk about possession. In some languages, like Latin, words in the genitive case look different from words in an object case (accusative/dative/ablative cases, in Latin). But in English, all of those cases look the same, and we use "whom" or "them" in each. So it is correct to say "The employees, many of whom are trained engineers, went on a company retreat", say. So we really use "whom" any time it would be correct to use "them" instead of "they" -- we would always say "many of them", and would never say "many of they", and in the same way, we would always say "many of whom" and never "many of who".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them

How can many of them in C possibly be ambiguous? People is the only plural noun in the sentence. Also people comes immediately before many of them. How could there be any ambiguity. Please help.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcepeci wrote:
C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them

How can many of them in C possibly be ambiguous? People is the only plural noun in the sentence. Also people comes immediately before many of them. How could there be any ambiguity. Please help.

Agree with you. I am aware that OG explanation tags them as "ambiguous", but I don't see any ambiguity in them.

As you've rightly mentioned, both logically and grammatically, them can only refer to people.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcepeci wrote:

I wouldn't say "them" is ambiguous exactly. The problem is, as the sentence using answer C is constructed, "them" doesn't correctly refer to anything at all. If you take a simpler sentence:

In Laos, with its isolated rivers, many of them are home to rare fish.

you might think "them" needs to refer to "rivers", the only earlier plural. But the phrase enclosed in commas here is just a parenthetical description. The sentence needs to work if it's deleted, but if we erase that part of the sentence, we see the problem with "them" -- it doesn't refer to anything. Or at least it doesn't refer to anything in the single sentence we're looking at (it might correctly refer to a plural thing in some sentence that comes before this one, if this sentence is part of a longer passage). The sentence really needs to be rewritten to say something like Many of the isolated rivers in Laos are home to rare fish if it will work on its own.

As for the question in this thread, answer C is such a grammatical mess that it's hard to even break down (it really needs another comma after 'Laos' or else it means something truly bizarre), but as I read it, the "them" in C has the same reference problem as the "them" in my simpler sentence above.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four mil [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun avigutman. In SC - meaning trumps grammar always.

Cant (e) be a victim of mis-interpretation because (e) drops the word "Size" completely, unlike (b), (c) and (d)

Quote:

(A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many
(B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many
(D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many
(E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom

In (e), land areas of Laos and land areas of Great Britain are "comparable" in what way ?

"Comparable" in size ? | "Comparable" in length ? | "Comparable" in breadth ? | "Comparable" in pollution ? | "Comparable" in average weight of population ?

(E) removes the word "size", leading to muddled meaning.

Thus i thought (E) had a muddled meaning problem because (e) doesn't state, what is it, that is comparable, between the two land areas ?

i thus chose between (b), (c) and (d), given these answer choices at-least use the word "size"

I understand (b), (c) and (d) have other grammatical problems but i thought meaning trumps always in SC.

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 06 Mar 2023, 09:27.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 06 Mar 2023, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
In (e), land areas of Laos and land areas of Great Britain are "comparable" in what way ?

"Comparable" in size ? | "Comparable" in length ? | "Comparable" in breadth ? | "Comparable" in pollution ? | "Comparable" in average weight of population ?

Hi jabhatta2,
'Land area' is a specific, measurable quantity, usually measured in square km (if we're talking about countries).
For example, the land area of Canada is 9,984,670 km^2.
So it's not length, breadth, pollution, average weight of population, or anything else.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun avigutman. In SC - meaning trumps grammar always.

Cant (e) be a victim of mis-interpretation because (e) drops the word "Size" completely, unlike (b), (c) and (d)

Quote:

(A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many
(B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many
(D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many
(E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom

Thus i thought (E) had a muddled meaning problem because (e) doesn't state, what is it, that is comparable, between the two land areas ?

i thus chose between (b), (c) and (d), given these answer choices at-least use the word "size"

I understand (b), (c) and (d) have other grammatical problems but i thought meaning trumps always in SC.

Hello jabhatta2,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "land area" is a specific concept that refers to the surface area of a geographic location on dry land; as such, the parameter of comparison is understood to be surface area.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
In SC - meaning trumps grammar always.

I'm curious what you mean by this. The right answer to a GMAT SC question is never grammatically incorrect. Even if you can tell what an answer 'means', if it contains a grammar error, it's not the right answer. You're never choosing between one answer that has a sensible meaning but bad grammar, and another that has a nonsensical meaning but perfect grammar. A right answer needs both -- perfect grammar and a logical meaning. Neither trumps the other.

jabhatta2 wrote:

The use of "size" in answers B, C and D is actually incorrect -- they're the answers with the muddled meaning. The sentence means to say "Laos and Great Britain are roughly equal in size" -- that is, it's saying the two countries are roughly the same size. It is not saying the areas of the two countries are roughly the same size. You wouldn't say "the length of the pool is roughly the same length as the length of the racetrack". The highlighted "length" should be cut from that sentence, and "size" should be cut from the sentence in this thread for the same reason.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.57
Send PM

I would like to bring a different perspective to this question.
A sentence written by a author conveys a particular meaning, although there could be more than one meaning but the sentence would then somehow be grammatically incorrect.
I would go with the absolute structure of the sentence and try to understand the author's perspective.
The above sentence tells me something about Laos- its land area and its population and both are related in a contrasting manner.
The second thing the modifier at the end has nothing to do with the relation between land area and the population.
The modifier is giving me some extra information about the population in Laos.

Now how do I know that it is giving me some extra information about the population in Laos ? look at the word "where" where can refer to places and we have two places in the sentence Laos and Great Britain. "where" can only refer to Laos because we are talking about the population about Laos and not Great Britain (only its land area is in discussion).
Now lets look at the non underlined part "are members"- which must be a part of a group, which group? the population of Laos.
Now lets look at "four million in population" vs "four million people".
Lets check which one is correct "(100) many of the four million in population are members ......?? or "(100) many of the four million people are members ...... ??
Many gives a sense of count. Here we have four million people which deals in absolute number of people, and four million in population also gives a sense of count but population of what ??
Also we know that in this case members refer to only people and the larger group has to be of people but can we say that the population mentioned here consists 100% of people only??

The comparison error of land area between Laos and Great Britain is already discussed by many in the above threads. I'll be discussing on the latter part that is the modifier.

(A) about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many - antecedent of where should be next to it , also usage of four million in population is illogical.

(B) of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many - usage of four million in population is illogical ",and many" - seems to present a list of Independent clause joined by ",and" ,which doesn't provide the intended meaning of modifying the four million people group.

(C) that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them - ",but..."- brings an Independent clause in connection which is incorrect.

(D) comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many - ",and many" - seems to present a list of Independent clause joined by ",and" which doesn't provide the intended meaning of modifying the four million people group.

(E) comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom -- four million people forms a group consisting of people only and "whom" will refer to people only , which is correctly referring to the four million people. Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This is one of those classic GMAT comparison questions that forces you to be mind-numbingly literal about what, exactly, is being compared. We also covered this in our YouTube webinar on comparisons, so head here if you prefer your explanations in video form.

Quote:

Literally, (A) is saying that the land area of Laos is the same as the country of Great Britain itself. That’s not cool.

Plus, the modifier beginning with “where” doesn’t make sense: “… four million in population, where many are members of a hill tribe…” Huh? “Where” needs to modify a location of some sort, and the population of Laos isn’t a place. (A) is out.

Quote:

It’s harder to pin down exactly why the comparison in (B) is logically wrong, but it’s clearly a mess. It’s comparing the land area of Laos to the size of Great Britain, and that’s not totally crazy… but then what the heck is “is” doing there? I guess I could live with something like “Laos is the same size as Great Britain is”, because we’d be comparing two verb phrases. But “Laos has a land area of about the same size as Great Britain is”? I can’t make sense of that.

Plus, the last part of the underlined portion isn’t great. What is “many” referring to, exactly? There’s no actual mention of people here – and I’m really not sure that “many” can operate by itself as a pronoun, anyway.

If you wanted to be really, really conservative, you could hang onto (B) for a moment, but we’ll have better options in a moment.

Quote:

The first part of the comparison isn’t illogical, but it’s wordy AF: “Laos has a land area that is about the same size as Great Britain’s land area.” Really, is that necessary? It’s not WRONG, and I wouldn’t eliminate it right away. But the version in (E) is much more succinct.

Here’s (arguably) the bigger problem: the second part of the underlined portion gently warps the meaning of the sentence. The “but” indicates some sort of contrast, but the contrast doesn’t make a ton of sense in (C). The sentence is trying to say that Laos is the same size as Great Britain, BUT that Laos has a much smaller population; the fact that much of the population lives in hill tribes is just extra, incidental information.

But if we strip down (C), the contrast surrounding the “but” doesn’t really work. I’ll strip out some stuff for clarity, and we’re left with something like this: “Laos… is about the same size as Great Britain…, but in Laos [modifier blah blah] many of them are members of hill tribes…” Nope, that’s not the part that deserves a “but.”

For that reason, (C) is out.

Quote:

Again, the comparison isn’t ideal: we’re comparing the “land area” of Laos to the “size of Great Britain.” That’s not great, especially when we compare it with (E). Plus, we still have that funny problem with the word “many.” It’s trying to act like a pronoun, and I’m not sure that “many” can stand alone as a pronoun – and “people” aren’t even mentioned here, so it’s not clear what “many” would refer to, exactly.

(D) doesn’t look great, so I hope we like (E).

Quote:

Yup, I think (E) is OK. “That” refers to “land area”, and that’s perfect: “Laos has a land area comparable to the land area of Great Britain…” Makes sense. The “but” makes sense now, too: we’re contrasting the fact that Laos is as large as Great Britain with the fact that the population is tiny. And now it’s clear whom we’re talking about: “… four million people, many of whom are members…” Cool, now we know that “many of whom” refers back to people in Laos.

So (E) is the best we can do.

Hi, GMATNinja,

In option E, shouldn't we use 'many of who' instead of 'many of whom' to denote people.

Hi
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Deep32470 wrote:
Hi, GMATNinja,

In option E, shouldn't we use 'many of who' instead of 'many of whom' to denote people.

Hi

Hi Deep32470,

After a preposition (like of), we should use the object form (whom). More examples: for whom, from whom, in whom, etc.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Deep32470 wrote:
Hi, GMATNinja,

Hi

The noun after a preposition is considered the "object" of the preposition. That's why you'd use an object pronoun after a preposition instead of a subject pronoun:

• Correct: "to him" or "for her" or "to whom"
  • Incorrect: "to she" or "for she" or "to who"

Luckily, this sort of thing is rarely a point of emphasis on the GMAT. :)

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts