GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 56
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 22:24
Thanks,
Your explanation to A/C is perfect and clear 8-)

cssk wrote:
I think I can add my inputs here. First of all, take this for granted that carrying out a promotion can lead to increase in sales but may not result in an immediate increase in profits or returns.

Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales promotion in effect. In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash. For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year, so evidently the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.
In evaluating the argument, it would be most helpful to answer which of the following?
A. In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August? Sounds good. If all the gasoline stations including those that did not implement a promotional plan see an increase in sales along with XT chain, then the success cannot be attributed to the promotion. So answer to this question evaluates our conclusion.
B. Was the money that XT earned from the increase in gasoline sales enough to offset the cost of providing free car washes during the promotion? Whether cost of providing free car washes can be offset by the increase in gasoline sales is irrelevent to find whether the increase in sales is actually due to the promotion.
C. Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect? Trap answer. How the customers bought those quantities, be it in large quantities at a time ot in smaller quantities frequently, is totally useless to identify the effect of a promotion on sales.
D. Did XT or any of its gasoline stations have to pay other businesses to provide the car washes that customers were offered in the promotion? Same as B and C, this choice is irrelevent too.
E. Are XT’s gasoline sales in August usually significantly higher than one twelfth of XT’s annual gasoline sales? The answer yes or no this question would not help evaluate our conclusion.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1608
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 19:54
B is just a strengthener.
C would have been correct if there had been no "but more frequently". Even if that is the case, C is still incorrect because C still cannot show a causal relation between the promotion and the sales, but a correlation; in other word, C is not an assumption in either scenario.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1041
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 06:46
An excellent question .I took a long time to answer it but still got it wrong .
Agree with OA
The problem with C is that we can not conclusively say that it helped in boosting sales .
Some people may have bought frequently and the amount of gasoline bought might be or might be not greater than the 10 gallons of gasoline .
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 731
Location: United States
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 21:14
This is a very deceptive question- the GMAT wants to bait you into C; however, the issue with C is that it would lead to a conclusion about the performance of XT to other companies- in order to evaluate the efficacy of XT's promotion the more logical comparison would be the sales of gasoline before and after the promotion w/r/t XT which A does.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Nov 2015
Posts: 165
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 23:15
Totally stumbled. I chose B but the answer mentioned is A.

Yet to understand..very tough.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jul 2015
Posts: 168
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 00:05
Hi GMATNinja, sayantanc2k, VeritasPrepKarishma, experts,

Can you please tell me how to apply variance test on choice A in this question? Usually, I focus on the conclusion, and then make sure to double check the answer by applying variance test, which strengthens and weakens the conclusion.

Thanks very much for your help!
_________________

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 522
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 02:11
Perfect grounds to eliminate C. C shows that sales of gasoline in XT would have still been there with or without promostions, albeit in different quantities. So, C doesn't support the conclusion that promotion was successful as means of boosting sales.

arvind910619 wrote:
An excellent question .I took a long time to answer it but still got it wrong .
Agree with OA
The problem with C is that we can not conclusively say that it helped in boosting sales .
Some people may have bought frequently and the amount of gasoline bought might be or might be not greater than the 10 gallons of gasoline .

_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1287
Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 08:41
Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales promotion in effect. In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash. For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year, so evidently the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most helpful to answer which of the following?

WHAT IS THE MAIN CONCERN ? IF SALES THIS YEAR IN AUGUST BROUGHT MORE PROFIT COMPARED TO SALES OF PREVIOUS AUGUST

(A) In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August? ( comparision is given between the concerned sales periods keep it.)

(B) Was the money that XT earned from the increase in gasoline sales enough to offset the cost of providing free car washes during the promotion? (not concerned with car washes cost. out of scope.


(C) Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect? ( this one is tricky. but since it talks about customers and ignored comparison between August sales this year and that of previous year hence out of scope. because our main concerni is increase in profit. no such keyword is mentioned here)



(D) Did XT or any of its gasoline stations have to pay other businesses to provide the car washes that customers were offered in the promotion? (same issue as in B)



(E) Are XT’s gasoline sales in August usually significantly higher than one twelfth of XT’s annual gasoline sales? (out of scope. wrong comparison.)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8789
Location: Pune, India
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 07:08
1
imhimanshu wrote:
Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales promotion in effect. In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash. For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year, so evidently the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most helpful to answer which of the following?

(A) In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August?

(B) Was the money that XT earned from the increase in gasoline sales enough to offset the cost of providing free car washes during the promotion?

(C) Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect?

(D) Did XT or any of its gasoline stations have to pay other businesses to provide the car washes that customers were offered in the promotion?

(E) Are XT’s gasoline sales in August usually significantly higher than one twelfth of XT’s annual gasoline sales?



In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash.
For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year,

Conclusion: the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.

Here was the first thing that came to my mind: They are comparing sales in aug this time vs sales in aug last year. That's too much of a time gap. What if this year, the revenue has anyway gone up?
Note that the conclusion is based on "increase in total sales". There is no distinction between transactions of less than 10 gallons and more than 10 gallons.

What would help us evaluate this conclusion?

The only relevant options are (A) and (C) so let's look at them.

(A) In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August?

This questions whether the overall gasoline revenue has seen arise this time.
- Say combined gasoline sales for all stations this time is 10% more than the previous August. Then most gasoline stations would have seen this 10% rise in August sales. Hence the promotion would have had no impact.
- Say combined gasoline sales for all stations this time is no more than the previous August. Then we can say with more certainty that the promotion has had impact.
Hence how we answer this question affects our conclusion.

(C) Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect?

Here is the reason this is not helpful to evaluate. The station is trying to increase its overall revenue - whether it is through 10 gallons sales or fewer gallons sale is immaterial. The overall sales has increased.
When we compare customers who bought 10 or more gallons fewer times compared to earlier when they bought the SAME amount of fuel but by visiting more frequently, it doesn't impact the station. These people are today also buying the same amount of fuel that they were buying a year ago. Whether they did it in small amounts or one big, it doesn't impact the success of the promotion at all. What impacts is whether there are people who were not buying at this station or were buying less total amount in the month before but are now buying higher amount. That is what we need to evaluate. That is what will define the success of the promotion.

Answer (A)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 210
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 08:31
VeritasKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales promotion in effect. In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash. For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year, so evidently the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most helpful to answer which of the following?

(A) In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August?

(B) Was the money that XT earned from the increase in gasoline sales enough to offset the cost of providing free car washes during the promotion?

(C) Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect?

(D) Did XT or any of its gasoline stations have to pay other businesses to provide the car washes that customers were offered in the promotion?

(E) Are XT’s gasoline sales in August usually significantly higher than one twelfth of XT’s annual gasoline sales?



In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash.
For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year,

Conclusion: the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.

Here was the first thing that came to my mind: They are comparing sales in aug this time vs sales in aug last year. That's too much of a time gap. What if this year, the revenue has anyway gone up?
Note that the conclusion is based on "increase in total sales". There is no distinction between transactions of less than 10 gallons and more than 10 gallons.

What would help us evaluate this conclusion?

The only relevant options are (A) and (C) so let's look at them.

(A) In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August?

This questions whether the overall gasoline revenue has seen arise this time.
- Say combined gasoline sales for all stations this time is 10% more than the previous August. Then most gasoline stations would have seen this 10% rise in August sales. Hence the promotion would have had no impact.
- Say combined gasoline sales for all stations this time is no more than the previous August. Then we can say with more certainty that the promotion has had impact.
Hence how we answer this question affects our conclusion.

(C) Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect?

Here is the reason this is not helpful to evaluate. The station is trying to increase its overall revenue - whether it is through 10 gallons sales or fewer gallons sale is immaterial. The overall sales has increased.
When we compare customers who bought 10 or more gallons fewer times compared to earlier when they bought the SAME amount of fuel but by visiting more frequently, it doesn't impact the station. These people are today also buying the same amount of fuel that they were buying a year ago. Whether they did it in small amounts or one big, it doesn't impact the success of the promotion at all. What impacts is whether there are people who were not buying at this station or were buying less total amount in the month before but are now buying higher amount. That is what we need to evaluate. That is what will define the success of the promotion.

Answer (A)


Hi VeritasKarishma

Thank you for a comprehensive explanation. In option C you said that amount of fuel is same even though it is bought in lower or higher quantity. In option it is not said that amount remains the same?? Am I going wrong in absorbing the meaning of the option C??
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8789
Location: Pune, India
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 08:35
warrior1991 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales promotion in effect. In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash. For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year, so evidently the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most helpful to answer which of the following?

(A) In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August?

(B) Was the money that XT earned from the increase in gasoline sales enough to offset the cost of providing free car washes during the promotion?

(C) Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect?

(D) Did XT or any of its gasoline stations have to pay other businesses to provide the car washes that customers were offered in the promotion?

(E) Are XT’s gasoline sales in August usually significantly higher than one twelfth of XT’s annual gasoline sales?



In the promotion, any customer who made a purchase of ten or more gallons of gasoline was entitled to a free car wash.
For the month of August, XT experienced a ten percent increase in gasoline sales as compared to sales in August the previous year,

Conclusion: the promotion was successful as a means of boosting sales.

Here was the first thing that came to my mind: They are comparing sales in aug this time vs sales in aug last year. That's too much of a time gap. What if this year, the revenue has anyway gone up?
Note that the conclusion is based on "increase in total sales". There is no distinction between transactions of less than 10 gallons and more than 10 gallons.

What would help us evaluate this conclusion?

The only relevant options are (A) and (C) so let's look at them.

(A) In the areas in which XT’s gasoline stations operate, how did total combined gasoline sales for all gasoline stations last August compare with sales for the previous August?

This questions whether the overall gasoline revenue has seen arise this time.
- Say combined gasoline sales for all stations this time is 10% more than the previous August. Then most gasoline stations would have seen this 10% rise in August sales. Hence the promotion would have had no impact.
- Say combined gasoline sales for all stations this time is no more than the previous August. Then we can say with more certainty that the promotion has had impact.
Hence how we answer this question affects our conclusion.

(C) Were there any customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have or more gallons at an XT gasoline in lower quantities, but more frequently, if the promotion had not been in effect?

Here is the reason this is not helpful to evaluate. The station is trying to increase its overall revenue - whether it is through 10 gallons sales or fewer gallons sale is immaterial. The overall sales has increased.
When we compare customers who bought 10 or more gallons fewer times compared to earlier when they bought the SAME amount of fuel but by visiting more frequently, it doesn't impact the station. These people are today also buying the same amount of fuel that they were buying a year ago. Whether they did it in small amounts or one big, it doesn't impact the success of the promotion at all. What impacts is whether there are people who were not buying at this station or were buying less total amount in the month before but are now buying higher amount. That is what we need to evaluate. That is what will define the success of the promotion.

Answer (A)


Hi VeritasKarishma

Thank you for a comprehensive explanation. In option C you said that amount of fuel is same even though it is bought in lower or higher quantity. In option it is not said that amount remains the same?? Am I going wrong in absorbing the meaning of the option C??



Hey warrior1991,

The "same amount" is implied. When they say "lower quantities but more frequently", you are implying that you make up for lower quantity by visiting more frequently.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 38
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 10:57
Option C is wrong for two reasons:

(1) If XT had 1 million customers in August and if there were only 2 customers who bought ten or more gallons at an XT gasoline station during the promotion who would have bought gasoline at the same station in lower quantities, but more frequently, then this question wouldn't help us out very much.

(2) Even if a majority of customers fell into this category, it still wouldn't mean much because they obviously aren't the customers that are responsible for the 10% sales increase. However, we know for a fact that other customers are responsible for this 10% sales increase.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jan 2019, 10:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Last August the XT chain of gasoline stations had a temporary sales

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.