It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 298

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2014, 12:10
kinjiGC wrote:
semwal wrote:
Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in the hope that drivers along the highways would reduce their speeds. This June, the number of motorists caught speeding by the traffic cameras is nearly twice that caught last June.

All of the following, if true, can help account for the increase in motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras EXCEPT?

B. This June, compared to the last, saw more than a twofold increase in the number of traffic cameras installed along the highways of Endsville.SO WHAT? THE VIOLATIONS STILL INCREASED,,,,,NOTHING IS BEING ACCOUNTED FOR THE INCREASE IN VIOLATIONS( [color=#0000ff]OR IS IT THAT THE INFERENCE IS BEING TRIED TO BE DRAWN THAT THE MOTORISTS SAID " BULL SHIT---THESE ARE TOO MANY...... NOW I CARE DAMN")....CORRECT..[/color]
[/color]

More cameras on the highways or more cameras on different highways increases the likelihood of catching violators. Which may explain the scenario.

How is E correct?

E says:
Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.

Questions:
All of the following, if true, can help account for the increase in motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras EXCEPT?

E says: Motorist not aware that camera are installed, cameras are hidden. Therefore they are not afraid of being caught, this explains why camera has caught or noticed the increase in motorists speeding.

How is E correct?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Director
Director

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2014, 12:11
It is the motorist that are oblivious not the cameras, cameras are noticing the motorist's high speed.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1053 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2014, 22:20
honchos wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
semwal wrote:
Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in the hope that drivers along the highways would reduce their speeds. This June, the number of motorists caught speeding by the traffic cameras is nearly twice that caught last June.

B. This June, compared to the last, saw more than a twofold increase in the number of traffic cameras installed along the highways of Endsville.SO WHAT? THE VIOLATIONS STILL INCREASED,,,,,NOTHING IS BEING ACCOUNTED FOR THE INCREASE IN VIOLATIONS( [color=#0000ff]OR IS IT THAT THE INFERENCE IS BEING TRIED TO BE DRAWN THAT THE MOTORISTS SAID " BULL SHIT---THESE ARE TOO MANY...... NOW I CARE DAMN")....CORRECT..[/color]
[/color]

More cameras on the highways or more cameras on different highways increases the likelihood of catching violators. Which may explain the scenario.

How is E correct?

E says:
Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.

Questions:

E says: Motorist not aware that camera are installed, cameras are hidden. Therefore they are not afraid of being caught, this explains why camera has caught or noticed the increase in motorists speeding.

How is E correct?

The question is "can help account for the increase in motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras between Last June and this June".

Cameras were hidden, then last june and this june the number of motorists who are caught speeding will be same right? As the cameras were installed last june.

The issue here is the difference of some sort between Last June and this june.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1053 [0], given: 548

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 83

Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 21:22
semwal wrote:

IMO.....TWO CORRECT ANSWERS...
DECIDE PRIORITIES FOR YOURSELF.......

A. Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras. LESS FEAR OF POLICE ,, HENCE ACCOUNTS FOR MORE VIOLATIONS.....
C. In the last year, there has been an influx of residents to Endsville and thus there are more vehicles on the road at any one time.MORE VEHS,,,,,PROPORTIONAL INCRESE LIKELY IN SPEED VIOLATIONS,,,, HENCE ACCOUNTS FOR MORE VIOLATIONS.......
D. Along many of the highways installed with traffic cameras, the speed limit has been reduced, sometimes by as much as 10 miles per hour.DEFINITION OF OVERSPEEDING CHANGED TO LOWER PARAMETERS,,, HENCE ACCOUNTS FOR MORE VIOLATIONS.......
E. Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras. MAY NOT DIRECTLY CATER FOR INCREASE......AS EARLIER THEY KNEW NO CAMERA, NOW OBLIVIOUS TO NEWLY INSTALLED CAMERAS.....SO WHY INCREASE? EVERY THING IN THE MOTORISTS PERCEPTION WAS ROUTINE,,,, WHY DID THE INCREASE HAPPEN?,,,,,,,NOTHING IS BEING ACCOUNTED FOR THE INCREASE IN VIOLATIONS....CORRECT.

everything in the motorists perception might be a routine but the number of cameras have doubled right? okay the number double might not make it sound that big a difference. lemme explain it this way, there used be 1 traffic camera on a 100km highway, and now there's one every 10 meters (i.e. 10000 cameras) so obviously you're more likely to record more violations. am i right? you cross 5 cameras with the same speed instead of one and now the system records 5 violations.

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 83

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 19

GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 01:06
The answer is E.

E does not help to explain why there is an increase in speeders caught on tape. Also, the rest of the answers help to explain, hence you arrive at E by POE and by evaluating the answer!

B is wrong because of explanation above me. If there are more cameras, more speeders can be caught on tape.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 19

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 204

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
joshnsit wrote:

A) Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.
B) This June, compared to the last, saw more than a twofold increase in the number of traffic cameras installed along the highways of Endsville.
C) In the last year, there has been an influx of residents to Endsville and thus there are more vehicles on the road at any one time.
D) Along many of the highways installed with traffic cameras, the speed limit has been reduced, sometimes by as much as 10 miles per hour.
E) Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.

Please come with explanations. OA to arrive soon after bit of clarity over options.

Must be A since all other options more or less increases the number of motorists being caught

Kudos [?]: 28 [1], given: 204

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 03:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 10:07
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 181

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 03:17
E. Since the motorists did not know about the installed traffic cameras, the cameras had no impact on the motorists' speeding.

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 181

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 04:08
So based on everyone's explanations I can see (slightly) why E is right. Whether the motorists notice or don't notice the cameras makes no difference in the uptick of those caught speeding. And in turn why A is wrong. Less policemen catching those speeding = road warriors zooming past policemen only to be caught by the cameras. So there's an uptick in cameras catching them and not policemen catching them.

But hear me out.

The question asks for what "can help account for the increase in motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras?"

B helps account for it. An increase in the number of cameras = fewer chances of road warriors zooming by unnoticed.
C helps account for it. More vehicles on the road = more people who are likely to drive too fast.
D helps account for it. A recently reduced speed limit = people likely to forget about the reduction (or aren't aware of the reduction) and drive above the limit.
And along the same veins, E helps account for it to. If drivers don't know it's there because they can't see it ("many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras") then that means more motorists are unaware that their speeding is being noticed and hence are likely to speed more often.

A on the other hand speaks of how policemen are less likely to catch speeding motorists since the cameras can do that job for them now. The policemen's behaviour is irrelevant to the surge in those caught speeding by cameras. If we consider it relevant, aren't we assuming that just because the police are less likely to catch them, more people are going to drive over the limit?

EDIT

spoonyvoid wrote:
If we consider it relevant, aren't we assuming that just because the police are less likely to catch them, more people are going to drive over the limit?

Actually now that I think about it, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

A has to be wrong as well since less policemen catching people means more cameras will catch them. We can't assume a large number of people caught by a policemen will continue speeding only to be caught again by a camera.

So E has to be right since it's a lot more ambiguous than the other 4.

Although isn't "unnoticed = more likely to speed because they think no one's watching" a strong assumption?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 04:36
KevinRocci wrote:
Howdy all! I can help with this one! I work at Magoosh and know the true answer. :-D

Everyone who chose (E) is correct!!!

Let's see why. The question asks us:

So, we're not looking for anything about the "net" number of people caught, nor about the relationship between police activity and the cameras. The question stem specifically asks about reasons for "an increase in the number of motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras."

Now let's look at (E): Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.

Again, we're specifically looking for a reason why the cameras caught more people. Don't bring police into the picture, because they're not discussed in the passage, the question, or the answer choice. The point is that last June, there were cameras that the motorists didn't know about, and this June, the situation is the same. There's no change given in (E). If nothing has changed, then that cannot explain the increase in the number caught by cameras.

Based on (E), all we know is that the cameras are virtually hidden and many motorists don't know they exist. Does this explain how the drivers caught could have increased? No, it doesn't — because remember, last June the cameras were already installed! In other words, it might make sense that the hidden cameras catch more people than before there were hidden cameras at all. But that's not the case here: here a certain number of people were caught after the cameras were installed, and one year later, twice the number of people were caught. If people aren't aware of the cameras, their behavior shouldn't change unless we have some other reason, but (E) doesn't give that other reason. So (E) is the only one that doesn't explain why more people were caught.

I hope that helps! :-D

I totally agree with this explanation. And the answer should be E.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 107

Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 22:57
interesting question. E option says there is no difference in last and this year June because camera is hidden. Thus cannot support why there is an increased in motorists speeding

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 107

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2017, 10:20

A) Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.
[color=#ff0000]more cameras --> more motorist getting caught ; earlier many would have escaped undetcted ; supports the argument [/color]
B) This June, compared to the last, saw more than a twofold increase in the number of traffic cameras installed along the highways of Endsville.
same as A
C) In the last year, there has been an influx of residents to Endsville and thus there are more vehicles on the road at any one time.
More vehicles --> more motorist getting caught
D) Along many of the highways installed with traffic cameras, the speed limit has been reduced, sometimes by as much as 10 miles per hour.
same as D
E) Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.
No effect ;

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Re: Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in t   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2017, 10:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap