Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.5
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Last Minute Help Please! [#permalink]
alitariquet wrote:

680 could be turned into 750 with little effort or it could be turned into 600 with little doubt.

I look forward to turning it into a 750. Less than 2 weeks now. Going to hit theory hard and drill practice questions and get some official practice tests in there too.

I found a copy of the 2017 OG. So I am hoping that I can practice more with the questions from there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
I suggest that you stick to official material this close to the test for practice questions. Also, do you want to consider pushing your test date back a bit? That will give you some time to go over the concepts tested in SC.

Unfortunately I can't push it back. Or else I definitely would.

I also found a copy of the 2017 OG to use as practice questions.

For some of the the quant questions, how many people are backsolving? I think the reason my ESR shows that I took too long in algebra parts was partly because it would take me some time to understand what the question wanted me to solve for, then properly set up the equation then solve....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep

Wow, such a detailed response! I wish that I could give out a thousand kudos(es?)! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

SC is clearly where I need the most help for a quick improvement. Thanks for all of those suggestions. Unfortunately I can only take advantage of a few. Using Veritas Prep's question bank I can't filter the questions by difficulty level nor can I filter them more specifically than just the general topics (IR, SC, RC, CR, PS, DS). I need to find a place where I can focus the quant questions to specific topics as you suggested. Same for the CR and RC by question type, and SC by concept.

I really wish that I could push the test date back further but due to the available appointments at the testing centers closest to me, and a prior commitment that I have to make, Oct 12th was my only available option.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow, as well as read the article that you provided me the link for.

Really, thanks a lot for the advice. I noticed that it shows you run Target Test Prep which I thought was quite coincidental as I was using your GMAT Equation Guide to help me with some quant and still have an open as one of the tabs on my browser!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jcochrane,

My pleasure!! So glad you are taking advantage of our quant equation guide. And yes, feel free to PM me as questions come up. I’m happy to help!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys. I have been trying to study well. I spent the last several days focusing on SC. With very little focus on much else. My test is 1 week away today. So I decided to take a practice GMAT test from mba.com, I did practice test 5. This is the first time that I have ever done this one. ALL questions were new to me. Since I will be taking my test at 8am next Friday, I took this practice test at 8am today and simulated test conditions as best I could by not pausing during each section.

I did great....
760, with IR 8, Q49 and V44

I want my quant to be Q50 or Q51. I find that I am still lacking full understanding of some concepts or taking too much time to answer some questions. Which leaves little time for other questions. I was very surprised with the verbal score of V44. I think that may be a fluke... Even though the questions were all new to me, I never really felt super confident in my answer choices for many of the questions...

Now I'm going to start my review and searching for the correct answers to the problems that I got wrong, as well as search for ways that might be faster to solve some of the math problems.

Overall I had 10/12 correct on IR, 24/31 correct on Q, and 32/36 correct on V.......

I have one more official practice test to do. I just wish that 760 was my real score...

Any further suggestions?
Attachments

Practice Test 5.JPG
Practice Test 5.JPG [ 20.56 KiB | Viewed 1603 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Nope. As in, not a fluke :)

Review will help, but at this stage you should focus on conserving your energy for the actual exam. If you plan to take that last practice test, try not to take it just before your exam (give yourself at least 2-3 days of downtime before your GMAT).

Thanks. I think that I will do practice test 6 on Tuesday morning. I certainly see what you guys were talking about that focusing to improve my verbal will make a huge difference. I still really want quant at Q50. I just reviewed finished reviewing all of my mistakes. For the 2 questions on IR I misunderstood what was being asked. For 3 of 7 questions on the quant section I made a silly mistake, the other 4 I didn't know well enough. For 2 of the 4 verbal mistakes I was down to 50/50 and made the wrong choice. For the other 2 on verbal I didn't clearly understand the answer.

I don't get how on this test my quant score was the same but my verbal score was significantly higher...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi jcochrane,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First of all, given that you studied for only a few weeks, 680 with a Q49 is a pretty awesome score. Since you scored a V34, I agree that you should primarily focus your efforts on verbal, with a little quant mixed in. If you can score 38+ on verbal and keep quant at a 49, you will score above 700. That being said, I recommend that you push your exam to a later date, so you have more than two weeks to study.

Regarding how to improve your verbal score, try your best (despite using only free resources) to learn linearly, such that you can slowly build mastery of one GMAT topic prior to moving on to the next. For example, let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each Critical Reasoning question type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and instead focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and thereby comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect Reading Comprehension answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be easy to read. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, it is likely that you will have to work on all three of those aspects, and it is also likely that your Sentence Correction performance has not improved because you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not really a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning the grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. Likely, the main reason that Sentence Correction has not "clicked" for you is that you have not put enough work into developing your skill in seeing what is going on in the various versions of the sentence that the answer choices create. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns clearly refer to nouns? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. Are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off, and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently to extend your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regimens, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you will then want to practice with questions that test you on skills from multiple Sentence Correction topics.

For quant, you can follow a similar, albeit a bit more streamlined, process (since you are looking to score a Q50+). For example, if you are reviewing Number Properties, be sure that you practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

Once again, I realize that you are only able to use free resources, so in addition to practicing quant and verbal questions here on GMAT Club, take advantage of some free or low-cost trials of paid resources.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Lastly, thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you have really come a long way, and I’m pulling for you!

If you need any further advice, feel free to contact me directly.

Let’s do this!!
Hello Mr.Scott Nice suggestion,But with the verbal how are you gonna practice based on topics since questions in the OG is mixed up, Also though in GmatClub you will get them classified,Most of them are unofficial questions and answers are confusing ,For the Quant it’s okay you, Bunuel et al are doing a great work .Any advice on how to practice for the verbal ? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun I just completed official practice test 6 and I didn't reset questions after test 5 so these were all new to me.

I scored 750 this time. Again with IR 8, Q49 and V44. I don't know how this happened! I felt pretty terrible during the math and some of the verbal. I'm going to go review the questions I got wrong this afternoon.

I have to do the test 8am this Friday. Since it's an early test I wanted to try to simulate test conditions as much as possible. I woke up at 5am, coffee, quick breakfast, then gym before starting this practice test at 8am this morning. I wanted to ensure that I was awake. I don't want to have brain fog during the test.

I am so disappointed that I keep getting Q49! I want a Q50 (best Q51....). I keep getting hung up somewhere though. I need to fix that.

AjiteshArun how did you do so well on both the math and verbal? Your score is remarkable! Do you have any more tips for me for what to review this afternoon or for Wednesday and Thursday?

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions or advice?

I have plenty of questions that I could still go through from the 2017 OG. I don't know how productive that will be. I need to cut down my time on doing simple things like multiplying together or dividing 2 digit numbers, or setting up, solving and rearranging algebraic equations. Inequalities are a weak spot for me, especially when they involve absolute values. I am at a loss at what to do to improve my verbal any further in the next couple days.

I feel like I'm going to go back to the official test and pull off another disappointing 680... :problem: :sad:
Attachments

Practice Test 6.JPG
Practice Test 6.JPG [ 19.24 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Staphyk,

Thank you for the response. So, the TTP verbal course (coming in spring 2019) would allow you to engage in the type of focused practice you are looking for. However, in the meantime, you could utilize the GMAT Club tags to categorize official, and non-official, verbal questions, so that you can practice verbal questions by category. Yes, in doing so, you would run into some non-official questions that you should probably ignore. The truth is, though, that scoring high on GMAT verbal takes making all kinds of judgment calls, and so, even making calls regarding which questions to ignore is good practice for GMAT verbal.

Certainly keep me updated, and free to reach out with further questions.
Send PM
Expert Reply
My pleasure! Reach out with any further questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everyone. Thx for all the help and advice. I am ok with my new mark but not super crazy about it.

720, Q50, V38, IR 7

The practice tests I scored higher in verbal. I couldn't repeat that here unfortunately. Overall, 40 higher, same IR as before, 1 higher on Q and 4 higher on V (but both practice tests were at 44 for V...)

I only had 2 weeks to prepare for the redo, I also lost a minute on the quant section because I took too long on my break.

Assuming I want to at least be considered by the top business schools with gmat averages at 730, should I do this test again? Or is another redo a waste of time and money? Or could I significantly increase my chances of admission and scholarships?...

I still don't know why I couldn't get my verbal closer to 44 like on practice tests 5 and 6...

Definitely much happier than 680 but still not amazing.

I have to weigh the time and cost to do the test again vs probability of getting accepted to a good school and scholarships... Really looking for anyone that knows more information.
Attachments

20181012_120843.jpg
20181012_120843.jpg [ 874.45 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]

Manager
Manager
Send PM
gratz on the score, 720 is more than good!!!

now that said, I scored 45-46 on GMAT prep for verbal and got a 42 on the exam day (and I had a good day)
keep in mind that the prep tool isn't as adaptive as the real test, and it's fairly easy to get a high score.
if you are going to do it, then I recommend taking more time.
as you said, you had only 2 weeks. V38 is more than a decent score, and judging on my point drops, you're probably at the level of a V39-40.
the problem is that the higher you get the more difficult it is to get major jumps (it's easier to go from 600->700 than 700->800)

nothing stops you from applying with this GMAT score and letting them know you're planning on retaking the GMAT, it's what I did.
In case of IESE, they basically told me I was ok to provide GMAT score until the last day of the month of the deadline (deadline was Jan 9, meaning I had up to the 31st).
In practice, usually, it comes down to: as long as you get (the unofficial score report) to them prior to their adcom gathering to discuss your application.
Just check with the schools to be sure.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a very good score. A higher score is likely to be of only incremental value, but you should discuss your profile with an admissions consultant to understand how your target schools are likely to look at a 720.

Personally, I think you can do better, given the time constraints under which you prepared for this attempt. You're probably better off working on your applications though.

All the best, and let us know what you decide to do.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aeon86 wrote:
gratz on the score, 720 is more than good!!!

now that said, I scored 45-46 on GMAT prep for verbal and got a 42 on the exam day (and I had a good day)
keep in mind that the prep tool isn't as adaptive as the real test, and it's fairly easy to get a high score.
if you are going to do it, then I recommend taking more time.
as you said, you had only 2 weeks. V38 is more than a decent score, and judging on my point drops, you're probably at the level of a V39-40.
the problem is that the higher you get the more difficult it is to get major jumps (it's easier to go from 600->700 than 700->800)

nothing stops you from applying with this GMAT score and letting them know you're planning on retaking the GMAT, it's what I did.
In case of IESE, they basically told me I was ok to provide GMAT score until the last day of the month of the deadline (deadline was Jan 9, meaning I had up to the 31st).
In practice, usually, it comes down to: as long as you get (the unofficial score report) to them prior to their adcom gathering to discuss your application.
Just check with the schools to be sure.

Thanks. I think I'll start reading articles in some of those journals like New York Times or Financial Times etc and do just a few questions a day to try to improve my verbal and not lose the level that I've reached. That way if I decide to take the gmat again I won't feel like I'm starting over when I start to study hard.

Wow I didn't know that the practice tests weren't as adaptive as the real ones... That's kind of misleading.

You think if I actually contact the schools they may take a quick look at my resume or profile and just tell me something like, I don't fit the profile that they are looking for so my gmat score doesn't even matter, or tell me that bumping up my score may help?

Originally posted by new800 on 13 Oct 2018, 03:08.
Last edited by new800 on 01 Nov 2018, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
This is a very good score. A higher score is likely to be of only incremental value, but you should discuss your profile with an admissions consultant to understand how your target schools are likely to look at a 720.

Personally, I think you can do better, given the time constraints under which you prepared for this attempt. You're probably better off working on your applications though.

All the best, and let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks! I'm going to start focusing on some applications but also study just a little bit for the gmat if I decide to retake it.

I really hope that some schools take a quick look at my resume and maybe point me in the right direction if I'm a fit for that school or not. It would be nice to hear from an admissions person that took a look at my resume and say "you don't fit what we are looking for here regardless of your gmat score" so that way I can avoid wasting time and money on an application to those schools... Do you think they may be that upfront?

I will also continue to apply to some jobs. If I get a job in the same field as I was working before I could possibly consider an executive mba in a couple years...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Regarding the tests, there really isn't a way for them to be as adaptive, as the amount of questions available for the tests is limited, as opposed to the actual GMAT which has thousands of questions to pull from?

Normally when you reach out to schools the adcoms are willing to set up a call to get to know you, and the person is usually assigned by geographical location. That person can answer all your questions with regards to the admission process, and when you would be able to give the GMAT at the very latest. It's also going to depend from school to school.
They would also be able to tell you if you're in an ok position or not. (you may have to read between the lines since chances are they won't say so outright?)

I'm not in IESE, I applied in March and missed out, and I've applied for the Early Decision round this time and I'm currently awaiting assessment day in November.
What attracts me to IESE is the very familiar feeling you have when walking around the campus and dealing with both employees and students. I would recommend you have a VERY clear vision as to why you want a certain school. On one hand, you say you applied to IESE, on the other you mention you are super intrigued by Insead because of the quick program (IESE is 2 years, though they recently announced a 15-month program starting next year). My point is, every school will ask you why their school, and if you have applied to any other schools, and which ones.
schools don't particularly care if you applied to other schools, but they look if the other schools somewhat fit the profile of the reasons you mentioned you picked their school for.
Regarding the Richard Ivey school of business: you have to ask yourself what you want to get out of the MBA. If it's just the MBA title? Any school can get you the Basics needed for an MBA, so in that case, ranking doesn't really matter.
Are you looking to international exposure? something else?
The MBA application process is one of self-reflection, and believe me, if you do it well you will learn A LOT about yourself.

I went to an MBA fair and talked to Harvard and MIT.
Harvard is a brand name, but for me, I didn't feel a click, a fit.
MIT I did like but it is quite expensive, which is typical of US programs (European ones are actually pretty cheap comparable)

Neither came close to what I felt as I learnt more and more about IESE though, every step of the process I felt that this REALLY was the school I wanted.

If anything, yes rankings are nice, but the importance is that you go to a school that you feel fits with you, your expectations and your goals.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just got my score report with my AWA grade. My previous test was a 5.0 but this time I received 6.0. I'm definitely really happy about that. Even though that score doesn't really contribute much and I'd trade my 6.0 to a 5.0 if it meant I could have done better than 720 on my overall score... I'm still wondering how that went up in score though since I didn't study it.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3