It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:13

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 15:26
B is the correct answer.

Option E changes the meaning of the whole sentence.

Read the whole sentence carefully!

You will understand for sure!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
Mostly S-V agreement helped me get to answer. The subject is Their Compliance, which is singular so the verb should also be singular. A, C and D are out for the same reason.

Between B and E, requiring is correct as it modifies the laws.

nevergiveup wrote:
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

A. requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect
B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting
C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect
D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting
E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting

Please explain your answers. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 6

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 07:09
SV agreement
A) Laws ....... protect. Wrong
B) Compliance is protecting. Correct
C) Laws ........ protect. Wrong
D) Compliance are protecting??? Wrong. Plus, to require wrong usage.
E) to require wrong again.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 03:58
Why A is not correct? "Any expert opinion?"

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 29

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3633 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 12:02
sriamlan wrote:

Subject verb agreement problem.. Their compliance protect. singular subject, plural verb.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 348

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 00:05
sriamlan wrote:

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle,
saying that their compliance
with laws requiring
that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets
protect adult sea turtles.
Subject verb issue , same is the case with C

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 348

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 288

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 09:41
sayantanc2k wrote:
sriamlan wrote:

Subject verb agreement problem.. Their compliance protect. singular subject, plural verb.

Hi Sayantan,

If in A "protects" was given instead of "protect"...would A be correct then?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 288

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 14:07
nevergiveup wrote:
OG16 SC134
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect adult sea turtles.

Hi Expert,
I'm too much confused about this sentence correction. I'm also scared to ask this question, because nobody asked here what I'm going to ask regarding this question.
The correct sentence is:
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting adult sea turtles.
So, the concise sentence is:
Local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit, their compliance is protecting adult sea turtles.
Isn't it run-on sentence?
Thanks Expert...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 02:49
iMyself wrote:
nevergiveup wrote:
OG16 SC134

Hi Expert,
I'm too much confused about this sentence correction. I'm also scared to ask this question, because nobody asked here what I'm going to ask regarding this question.
The correct sentence is:
Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit for the resurgence of the rare Kemp's ridley turtle, saying that their compliance with laws requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting adult sea turtles.
Local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit, their compliance is protecting adult sea turtles.
Thanks Expert...

Why did you omit "saying that" ?

Main clause:
Local shrimpers held a news conference to take credit.

Now add the present participle modifier ( to depict how they took credit):

saying that xyz .... (xyz = their compliance is protecting adult sea turtles. (xyz is what they said))

Thus you see that that xyz is not an independent clause but a dependent clause within another present participle modifier. Thus two independent clauses are NOT joined by a comma as you mentioned.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 03:13
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
nevergiveup wrote:
OG16 SC134

Hi Expert,
The correct sentence is:
Thanks Expert...

Main clause:

saying that xyz .... (xyz = their compliance is protecting adult sea turtles. (xyz is what they said))

Thus you see that that xyz is not an independent clause but a dependent clause within another present participle modifier. Thus two independent clauses are NOT joined by a comma as you mentioned.

I want to add something more in this regard just to be sure that am i right or wrong.
If I normally write "their compliance is protecting adult sea turtles", then it is Independent clause, sure.
But in the original sentence (Last week local.....), if I ask myself that what is 'their', then I'll get my answer. Here, "their" is exactly ''shrimpers'', that means the second part is dependent on first independent clause, right?
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 07:07
iMyself wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hi Expert,
The correct sentence is:
Thanks Expert...

Main clause:

I want to add something more in this regard just to be sure that am i right or wrong.
If I normally write "their compliance is protecting adult sea turtles", then it is Independent clause, sure.
But in the original sentence (Last week local.....), if I ask myself that what is 'their', then I'll get my answer. Here, "their" is exactly ''shrimpers'', that means the second part is dependent on first independent clause, right?
Thanks...

No, that is not correct - usage of pronoun has nothing to do with main clause / subordinate clause issue. I shall try to clarify further.

Example 1:
The shrimpers held conference, and their compliance protects sea turtles.
Here, there are two main clauses:
1. The shrimpers held conference. (subject: shrimpers, verb: held)
2. Their compliance protects sea turtles. (subject: their compliance, verb: protects)

Example 2:
The shrimpers held conference, and they said that their compliance protect sea turtles.
1. The shrimpers held conference (subject: shrimpers, verb: held)
2. They said that their compliance protects sea turtles.(subject: they, verb: said)
INSIDE the second main clause there is a subordinate clause, which is also the object of this second main clause: "that their compliance protect sea turtles." For this subordinate clause, subject = their compliance and verb = protect - "that" is the subordinating conjunction.

Example 3:
The shrimpers held conference, saying said that their compliance protect sea turtles.
Here there is just one main clause:
Additionally there is a present participle modifier: "saying said that their compliance protect sea turtles."
INSIDE this present participle modifier there is a subordinate clause: "that their compliance protect sea turtles." For this subordinate clause subject = their compliance and verb = protect - "that" is the subordinating conjunction (as in example 2).

Let me know if you do not understand this.

(main clause = independent clause / subordinate clause = dependent clause)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 08:19
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hi Expert,
The correct sentence is:
Thanks Expert...

Thanks...

No, that is not correct - usage of pronoun has nothing to do with main clause / subordinate clause issue. I shall try to clarify further.

Example 1:
The shrimpers held conference, and their compliance protects sea turtles.
1. The shrimpers held conference. (subject: shrimpers, verb: held)
2. Their compliance protects sea turtles. (subject: their compliance, verb: protects)

Example 2:
The shrimpers held conference, and they said that their compliance protect sea turtles.
2. They said that their compliance protects sea turtles.(subject: they, verb: said)
INSIDE the second main clause there is a subordinate clause, which is also the object of this second main clause: "that their compliance protect sea turtles." For this subordinate clause, subject = their compliance and verb = protect - "that" is the subordinating conjunction.

Example 3:
The shrimpers held conference, saying said that their compliance protect sea turtles.
Here there is just one main clause:
Additionally there is a present participle modifier: "saying said that their compliance protect sea turtles."
INSIDE this present participle modifier there is a subordinate clause: "that their compliance protect sea turtles." For this subordinate clause subject = their compliance and verb = protect - "that" is the subordinating conjunction (as in example 2).

Let me know if you do not understand this.

(main clause = independent clause / subordinate clause = dependent clause)

Actually, I added slightly different thing in my last comment. I added this because I did not get any 'subject' before "saying said that their compliance protect sea turtles.". Now, You put a subject (they) in your example 2. So, I get it.
Thanks brother for your cooperation.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 13:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nevergiveup wrote:
OG16 SC134

Please explain your answers. Thanks.

A S/V do not agree in number.
B Correct.
C S/V do not agree in number.
D S/V do not agree in number.
E "To require" is incorrect because the infinitive of purpose does not make sense. The ultimate goal of the law is not "to require" but rather "to protect." The requirement is merely a byproduct of the law.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 07:01
OG16 SC134

B. requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting correct

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 00:51

We need participle so D and E out .
A has that which is not required .
C also has that and does not have participle. It makes compliance the subject of the clause. .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 261

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 06:12
Hi sayantan2ck,
I know you were trying to explain different concept here but from subject verb agreement point of view i think protects should be used in Eg 2 and eg 3.
Also let me know what do you call compliance in grammatical terms? Is it a noun? I haven't seen much pronoun together with noun placed adjacently as in option A.
Let me know if structure wise the sentence is correct other than SV no agreement in option A in OG.
WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 261

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9427 [1], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2017, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
Hi sayantan2ck,
...let me know what do you call compliance in grammatical terms? Is it a noun? I haven't seen much pronoun together with noun placed adjacently as in option A.
Let me know if structure wise the sentence is correct other than SV no agreement in option A in OG.
WR,
Arpit

Hello adkikani/Arpit,

I would be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

The word compliance indeed is a noun. That is the reason why it can act as a subject in a clause.

Also, there is no issue in the expression of their compliance in Choice A. The pronoun their acts as a possessive pronoun that is followed by a noun. For example: my pen, your car, his project, her recipe, etc.

In Choice A, their compliance stands for the local shrimpers' compliance. Hence, choice A only one error - the Subject-Verb number disagreement error.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9427 [1], given: 348

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 05:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OG16 SC134

plural verb "protect" is not in agreement with the singular subject "compliance"

Correct Choice

Same Error as A

Two issues here
First: "Laws to require..." it says laws are created in order to require TE devices on shrimps...which is pretty awkward.. it should saying that Laws require that the TE devices be on Shrimps
Second : "are" protecting - needs to be "is" protecting

Error one mentioned in Option D is killing this one as well

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 200

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 165

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
carcass sorry for tagging! I am trying to get an answer for a long time. Why B is the correct ans here? Requiring demands the use of subjunctive, right? Isn't "is protecting" wrong here "requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting" ?????

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 165

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9490 [1], given: 1203

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Last week local shrimpers via which they said: hey turtle X is back. Until now all is ok.

Now the tough part: saying that their compliance with laws I.E. the obedience under certain laws is protecting the turtles.

A. is wrong because requiring that turtle-excluder devices be on shrimp nets protect is weird and protect seems that the nets protect the turtles itself not the local shrimpers

C. that require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets protect - same reasons

D. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets are protecting - to require and are protecting generate a sentence totally wrong. Reading it that way has no sense

E. to require turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting - same reasons

B. saying that their compliance with laws requiring turtle-excluder devices on shrimp nets is protecting adult sea turtles.

Hope now is clear.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9490 [1], given: 1203

Re: Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit f   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2017, 01:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 117 posts ] 

Last week local shrimpers held a news conference to take some credit f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap