Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Statistics and Sets Problemsx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618793 [144]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618793 [50]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [4]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Re: Last year the average (arithmetic mean) salary of the 10 employees of [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Bunuel chetan2u GMATBusters VeritasKarishma

Why can't we take average of the two percentages i.e 15% increase for 8 people and no increase for 2 people which should give us an average increase of 12% over the last year's average irrespective of not knowing individual's salary.

What conceptual mistake am I making in this approach.

Will appreciate correction please.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Last year the average (arithmetic mean) salary of the 10 employees of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
altairahmad wrote:

Why can't we take average of the two percentages i.e 15% increase for 8 people and no increase for 2 people which should give us an average increase of 12% over the last year's average irrespective of not knowing individual's salary.

You do not know the average of these 8 and these 2 separately.
Say average of these 10 was 100.
All 8 are 120 each, so increase of 15% means 18 more so 138 each
The remaining two would be 20 each.
New total 138*8+2*20
But there may be a case
All 8 are 20 each , so new =23
Remaining two would be (10*100-20*8)/2=420 each
Total 42*3+2*420

As you can see, the average can change
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
altairahmad wrote:

No, you cannot use weighted average concept here. Why? Because you have to be mindful of what the weights are in each case.

When I say 15% increase and 0% increase needs to averaged, what is my weight? It is the initial amount. A 15% increase of what and a 0% increase of what?
I need the total salary of the 8 people (which increased by 15%) and total salary of 2 people (which increased by 0%) to get the average increase in salary.

Check:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/1 ... -averages/

Average Increase = Total Increase/Total Initial Amount
Think of the physical quantity your weights represent and whether it makes sense as the denominator of the average.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
This one is really conceptual

Last year the average (arithmetic mean) salary of the 10 employees of Company X was $42,800. What is the average salary of the same 10 employees this year?

(1) For 8 of the 10 employees, this year's salary is 15 percent greater than last year's salary.
Clearly insufficient. There's no way we can figure out what the new average is because we have no idea how much each person made previously in the last year.
e.g. Suppose 8/10 people each made 1 dollar last year...in that case the new average will barely change
e.g. Suppose 8/10 people made 42799 last year...in that case the average > 42800

(2) For 2 of the 10 employees, this year's salary is the same as last year's salary.
Insufficient

Combined: Nothing has changed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [3]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We’re told that the AVERAGE salary of 10 employees last year was $42,800 (meaning that the TOTAL of those salaries was $428,000). We’re asked for the average salary of those same 10 employees this year. This is a great “concept” question – meaning that you do not actually have to do any math to answer it, as long as you understand the concepts involved.

1) For 8 of the 10 employees, the year’s salary is 15 percent greater than last year’s salary.

To start, it’s worth noting that we do not know any of the actual salaries of the 10 employees, so in addition to not knowing what happened to the other 2 salaries, we don’t know how much these 8 salaries actually increased in absolute terms.

For example, if those 8 employees each earned $10,000 last year, then the increase in their salaries was (.15)($10,000) = $1500 each.

If those 8 employees each earned $20,000 last year though, then the increase in their salaries was (.15)($20,000) = $3000 each.

Those two outcomes would change the total of the 10 salaries in different ways, so the answer to the question would change.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT.

2) For 2 of the 10 employees, this year’s salary is the same as last year’s salary.

While the information in Fact 2 is simpler to deal with than the information in Fact 1, the overall logic is the same: we don’t know what happened to the salaries of the other 8 people (nor any of the individual salaries or how they may have changed) – and the answer to the question will change based on that information.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

Combined, we know:

-For 8 of the 10 employees, the year’s salary is 15 percent greater than last year’s salary.
-For 2 of the 10 employees, this year’s salary is the same as last year’s salary.

Even combined, we run into the same issue that we faced with Fact 1 – we have no idea what any of the individual salaries are (and which ones were increased by 15%). Thus, the average salary this year could vary.
Combined, INSUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V43
GPA: 2
Send PM
Last year the average (arithmetic mean) salary of the 10 employees of [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Last year the average (arithmetic mean) salary of the 10 employees of Company X was $42,800. What is the average salary of the same 10 employees this year?

Note that it's almost always better to express the average in terms of the sum.

Given: total salary is $42,800*10.
Question: new total salary=?

(1) For 8 of the 10 employees, this year's salary is 15 percent greater than last year's salary. Clearly insufficient.
(2) For 2 of the 10 employees, this year's salary is the same as last year's salary. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Consider two possible cases:
2 lowest salaries didn't change and 8 highest salaries increased by 15%;
2 highest salaries didn't change and 8 lowest salaries increased by 15%;

Ask yourself, would new total salary be the same for both cases? No, because the increase in amount for the first case will be greater than the increase in amount for the second case. Hence even taken together statements are not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

How did you come to a conclusion that the 2 salaries which didn't change as per statement 1, were the lowest & the 2 salaries which didn't change as per statement 2 were the highest?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Hemant611 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Note that it's almost always better to express the average in terms of the sum.

Given: total salary is $42,800*10.
Question: new total salary=?

(1) For 8 of the 10 employees, this year's salary is 15 percent greater than last year's salary. Clearly insufficient.
(2) For 2 of the 10 employees, this year's salary is the same as last year's salary. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Consider two possible cases:
2 lowest salaries didn't change and 8 highest salaries increased by 15%;
2 highest salaries didn't change and 8 lowest salaries increased by 15%;

Ask yourself, would new total salary be the same for both cases? No, because the increase in amount for the first case will be greater than the increase in amount for the second case. Hence even taken together statements are not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

How did you come to a conclusion that the 2 salaries which didn't change as per statement 1, were the lowest & the 2 salaries which didn't change as per statement 2 were the highest?

Dear Hemant611
it is never mind what places they hold. The matter is the average will be different.
Take into consideration a few examples:

1 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 19
or
5 5 10 10 10 10 10 10 15 15

Then the sum that comprises 15% growth for the first 8 places, for the middle or for the last will be always different. Hence, because you cannot get definite answer, even if combined with St.2, this statement is not sufficient.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
altairahmad wrote:

No, you cannot use weighted average concept here. Why? Because you have to be mindful of what the weights are in each case.

When I say 15% increase and 0% increase needs to averaged, what is my weight? It is the initial amount. A 15% increase of what and a 0% increase of what?
I need the total salary of the 8 people (which increased by 15%) and total salary of 2 people (which increased by 0%) to get the average increase in salary.

Check:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/1 ... -averages/

Think of the physical quantity your weights represent and whether it makes sense as the denominator of the average.

KarishmaB
I had a similar question. I tried solving like this by back solving for the previous year, letting x equal the total sum for the eight individuals and y equaling the total sum for the 2 individuals. I realize that you cannot solve because there are two variables, but assuming I had the value of x or y, would be incorrect to set up the equation in this proportion?
(((8/10)*x)/1.15 + ((2/10)*y)/ 10) = 42,800

I apologize for the silly question. Thank you so much as always.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
altairahmad wrote:

Check:

KarishmaB
I had a similar question. I tried solving like this by back solving for the previous year, letting x equal the total sum for the eight individuals and y equaling the total sum for the 2 individuals. I realize that you cannot solve because there are two variables, but assuming I had the value of x or y, would be incorrect to set up the equation in this proportion?
(((8/10)*x)/1.15 + ((2/10)*y)/ 10) = 42,800

I apologize for the silly question. Thank you so much as always.

I am not sure how you got this equation.

Last year salary of all 10 people combined = 428,000 (total sum = avg * 10)
If I had the total salary of 8 people, say x, then x increased by 15% and (428,000 - x) increased by 0%

\(Avg increase = \frac{15*x + 0 * (428,000 - x)}{428000}\)
Say you have the value of x and you get avg increase as 3%.

Then total sum of salary this year = 1.03 * 428,000 and avg this year = 1.03 * 42,800

This is similar to calculating avg profit percentage and then SP given a 15% profit on certain part of CP and 0% on the rest of CP. We need the two parts of CP. We don't know what the salary of the 8 people who saw 15% increase was out of the total of $428,000.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts