GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 00:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:13) correct 49% (01:32) wrong based on 125 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination for all children of a certain age against rotavirus. Without the vaccination, rotavirus hospitalized 55,000 to 70,000 children in the United States per year; this year, the number of hospitalizations has been reduced by 20%. Based on this data, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that the rotavirus vaccine prevents more than 50,000 doctor visits per year.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the estimate prepared by the CDC?

A) A 2-year-old child is much more susceptible to attacks by rotavirus than a five year old child.
B) Not all children affected by rotavirus go to the doctor.
C) Generally, a patient affected by rotavirus has a weaker than normal immune system and thus is more susceptible to other diseases.
D) The vaccine for Zetavirus, which also affects children of the same age as rotavirus does, prevents no more than 10,000 doctor visits per year.
E) Rotavirus vaccine is administered to 2 year old children and rotavirus attacks children above the age of four.

+ 1 Kudo if it helped you.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 03:27
I go with C

It states that because immune system is weak, there will be additional visits because of other diseases.
Intern
Intern
Re: Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 04:38
deepthit wrote:
I go with C

It states that because immune system is weak, there will be additional visits because of other diseases.

but this option is against the conclusion it makes it look like the no of hospital visits increases

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 11:13
IMO - Option E

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the estimate prepared by the CDC?

Lets go through each option -

A)A 2-year-old child is much more susceptible to attacks by rotavirus than a five year old child.
Not related to CDC claim - Irrelevant

B)Not all children affected by rotavirus go to the doctor.
Even though it may cast doubt on CDC findings but no other information is available about children behavior change in the recent year.

C)Generally, a patient affected by rotavirus has a weaker than normal immune system and thus is more susceptible to other diseases.
Not relevant to CDC claim here. Also being susceptible to other diseases may not result in actual hospitalization.

D)The vaccine for Zetavirus, which also affects children of the same age as rotavirus does, prevents no more than 10,000 doctor visits per year.
Affecting same age of children doesn't much say about Zetavirus. It may be more prevalent or even less. Overall Not comparable.

E)Rotavirus vaccine is administered to 2 year old children and rotavirus attacks children above the age of four.
If above statement is correct, we should expect to see the affect of vaccination at least after 2 years of vaccination thus making CDC claim doubtful.

Kudos are always welcome.

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 12:31
In my opinion the answer should be E.
A- irrelevant as to which age group is more susceptible
B- I m not sure so I ll keep it
C- being susceptible to other diseases does not confirm disease affliction and subsequent doctor visits
D- zeta virus irrelevant
E- this seems more relevant to cast a doubt on the CDC claim as the effect of the vaccination can only be seen after a few years (another 2 yrs- given one year is already over) ... so this statement points that CDC is too quick to make a judgment/conclusion about the vaccination program.
So I ll go with E.

I m not sure about the impact of the statement B. Even though I think E should be the answer, can someone explain what’s the effect of statement B on the argument and eventual conclusion ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 22:35
HBSdetermined wrote:
In my opinion the answer should be E.
A- irrelevant as to which age group is more susceptible
B- I m not sure so I ll keep it
C- being susceptible to other diseases does not confirm disease affliction and subsequent doctor visits
D- zeta virus irrelevant
E- this seems more relevant to cast a doubt on the CDC claim as the effect of the vaccination can only be seen after a few years (another 2 yrs- given one year is already over) ... so this statement points that CDC is too quick to make a judgment/conclusion about the vaccination program.
So I ll go with E.

I m not sure about the impact of the statement B. Even though I think E should be the answer, can someone explain what’s the effect of statement B on the argument and eventual conclusion ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

option B seems more relevant to me

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 00:53
B is not the correct one because not all in CR is from 0-99 on scale of 0-100.
It could be anything on this scale. If 1 kid dnt go to doctor it wont affect but if 99 kid dont go to doctor it would weaken.
Hence B is not appropriate answer choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 16:53
Prashant10692 wrote:
Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination for all children of a certain age against rotavirus. Without the vaccination, rotavirus hospitalized 55,000 to 70,000 children in the United States per year; this year, the number of hospitalizations has been reduced by 20%. Based on this data, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that the rotavirus vaccine prevents more than 50,000 doctor visits per year.

A)A 2-year-old child is much more susceptible to attacks by rotavirus than a five year old child.

C)Generally, a patient affected by rotavirus has a weaker than normal immune system and thus is more susceptible to other diseases.

D)The vaccine for Zetavirus, which also affects children of the same age as rotavirus does, prevents no more than 10,000 doctor visits per year.

E)Rotavirus vaccine is administered to 2 year old children and rotavirus attacks children above the age of four.

For me, it was a toss up between B and E. Upon further analysis, the answer can not be B, even though it seems relevant because it explicitly states doctor. However, supposing it is true, it does not necessarily weaken the CDC's argument, because even if children affected by the virus do not go to the doctor, the estimation of decreased hospital visits is still valid because, children are not going to the doctor, so this actually helps their estimations.

E is correct because it is focusing on time, which is very relevant to the CDC's main argument. If the Rota virus increases hospital visits, and if the vaccine decreases hospital visits, then administrating the vaccine to children who are too young to be infected does nothing towards decreasing the hospital visits, seeing as the Rota virus will infect the same number of children as the previous years. This hurts the CDC's argument the most, because it neutralizes the effectiveness of the vaccine, and consequently the number of hospital visits. Therefore E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2017, 18:41
CyberStein wrote:
Prashant10692 wrote:

For me, it was a toss up between B and E. Upon further analysis, the answer can not be B, even though it seems relevant because it explicitly states doctor. However, supposing it is true, it does not necessarily weaken the CDC's argument, because even if children affected by the virus do not go to the doctor, the estimation of decreased hospital visits is still valid because, children are not going to the doctor, so this actually helps their estimations.

E is correct because it is focusing on time, which is very relevant to the CDC's main argument. If the Rota virus increases hospital visits, and if the vaccine decreases hospital visits, then administrating the vaccine to children who are too young to be infected does nothing towards decreasing the hospital visits, seeing as the Rota virus will infect the same number of children as the previous years. This hurts the CDC's argument the most, because it neutralizes the effectiveness of the vaccine, and consequently the number of hospital visits. Therefore E is the answer.

Shouldn't we omit option B by saying.. no information is given about chidren behavior change. Somehow it seems, pretty legit reason to me.

Kudos are always welcome.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 17:16
IMO. OA is E

A) A 2-year-old child is much more susceptible to attacks by rotavirus than a five year old child.
-> So what? Both '2-year-old child' and '5-year-old-child' are child.
B) Not all children affected by rotavirus go to the doctor.
-> Out of scope. Our target is weakining the effect of vaccine and reduced number of child, who suffered from rotavirus.
C) Generally, a patient affected by rotavirus has a weaker than normal immune system and thus is more susceptible to other diseases.
-> Out of scope. We do not need to compare rotavirus with other diseases.
D) The vaccine for Zetavirus, which also affects children of the same age as rotavirus does, prevents no more than 10,000 doctor visits per year.
-> Out of scope. We do not need to know the effect of Zetavirus.
E) Rotavirus vaccine is administered to 2 year old children and rotavirus attacks children above the age of four.
-> Correct.
If E is true, vaccine is not the cause of reduced rotavirus patient number.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jan 2018, 17:16

Last year, the United States introduced compulsory vaccination

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap