It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year, to improve sales, a software company

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2011
Posts: 122

Kudos [?]: 113 [2], given: 240

Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 17:27
2
This post received
KUDOS
29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (02:09) correct 62% (02:20) wrong based on 757 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Plan: Last year, to improve sales, a software company decided to make its flagship product - a professional bookkeeping program - compatible with all types of computers, instead of with only those that were running a particular operating system.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%.

Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year, a natural increase that occurs without fail as more companies annually learn about the product and its incontestable merits.

In light of the additional information, which of the following, if true, best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?

A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.


[Reveal] Spoiler:
Got totally stumped on this CR question.Have no idea what it is asking and how to approach the problem! Any thorough analysis/categorization and explanation would be appreciated.Thx!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 17 Jun 2017, 03:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 113 [2], given: 240

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2014
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 6

Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 20:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
arkle wrote:
Plan: Last year, to improve sales, a software company decided to make its flagship product - a professional bookkeeping program - compatible with all types of computers, instead of with only those that were running a particular operating system.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%.

Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year, a natural increase that occurs without fail as more companies annually learn about the product and its incontestable merits.

In light of the additional information, which of the following, if true, best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?


A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.


Got totally stumped on this CR question.Have no idea what it is asking and how to approach the problem! Any thorough analysis/categorization and explanation would be appreciated. Thx!



Mate, I believe in this question they are actually asking as to why the profit only increased by 5% when the new program was available, one which could've been exploited to increase the profit atleast 10 fold. Close analysis of the options will tell you that only B matches the incisive frame of thought we're required to adopt while the others don't quite do the fold of the question justice.

E - Too general
D- No mention about price rise having an effect on S/W sales.
C- CEO had three years to bed in and if talented will have sparked a major %age increase by now.
A- Doesn't include talk about raise of profit. :)

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2011
Posts: 122

Kudos [?]: 113 [1], given: 240

Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 10:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
The problem with the question is writing.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%. doesn't tell you whether the growth happened in addition to 5% mentioned in the next paragraph. or it is just 5% in total,which can be attributed to Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year

Because of this ambiguous wording you don't know whether it is bad --> that without any new efforts 5% growth would have happened or good --> 5% growth happened on top of the regular 5%.

It(the result) is very important to understand to answer --> best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?

Kudos [?]: 113 [1], given: 240

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2015
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 14:14
E is the one I would go: every year there is 5 percent because every year they update. This year they gained by expanding over OSs, other years with other things.

B is viable, but I have never being a marketing fan. moreover for something like OS expansion does not matter much. you open to new markets already savvy of your product.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4480

Kudos [?]: 17007 [6], given: 1962

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 15:51
6
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
arkle wrote:
Plan: Last year, to improve sales, a software company decided to make its flagship product - a professional bookkeeping program - compatible with all types of computers, instead of with only those that were running a particular operating system.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%.

Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year, a natural increase that occurs without fail as more companies annually learn about the product and its incontestable merits.

In light of the additional information, which of the following, if true, best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?


A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.


Got totally stumped on this CR question.Have no idea what it is asking and how to approach the problem! Any thorough analysis/categorization and explanation would be appreciated.Thx!


I really like this question. (I am not sure about the awkward wording that someone else pointed out). Thanks for posting.

This a paradoxical situation, which tells us that despite the increase in customer base, the sales increase stayed the same as previous years. So we are trying to find a way to resolve that paradox.

What do you think that can lead to this situation? Without looking at the answers, try and think of possible situation.

What if it's like an adobe reader update (which nobody cares to check) that got unnoticed?
What if there was a LOT of users leaving the program for a better one (this does not really resolve the paradox, as the arguments says that 5% increase in sales is a common thing every year regardless)

Now, looking at the option B fits the bill perfectly. It says that consumers did not get to know about the new feature (compatibility with all computers), and that explains it. Probably people with different OSes did not buy the product because they were unaware of its increased compatibility.

HTH
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17007 [6], given: 1962

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 647

Kudos [?]: 366 [3], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 07:30
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ANSWER IS B

When software was made only for Windows , it used to grow at 5% per year.
Last year, the software was made for Windows, Linux, iOS, Android UNIX and OSX. --> BUT SALES REMAINED STATIC.

One reason for this static sale may be that because Linux user, Macbook User and Android user did not bought this program and thus sales were static.

WHY THE DIDN'T BOUGHT THE SOFTWARE ?
because they were unaware that the software now supports their operating systems.
WHY WERE THEY UNAWARE OF THIS CHANGE ?
Because no one advertised about it.

What options tell us that the new changes and compatibility with other operating systems was not told to the customers?- OPTION B
B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.
WRONG:- Irrelevant /Out of scope

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.
CORRECT

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.
WRONG:- Irrelevant

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.
WRONG:- Salary of the employees cannot reduce the profitability of the company because Prices also rose and stabilised economy means more buying power.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.
WRONG:- Irrelevant







arkle wrote:
Plan: Last year, to improve sales, a software company decided to make its flagship product - a professional bookkeeping program - compatible with all types of computers, instead of with only those that were running a particular operating system.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%.

Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year, a natural increase that occurs without fail as more companies annually learn about the product and its incontestable merits.

In light of the additional information, which of the following, if true, best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?


A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.


Got totally stumped on this CR question.Have no idea what it is asking and how to approach the problem! Any thorough analysis/categorization and explanation would be appreciated.Thx!
\
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.


Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 03 Aug 2016, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 366 [3], given: 36

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2016
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Location: Singapore
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 00:05
arkle wrote:
Plan: Last year, to improve sales, a software company decided to make its flagship product - a professional bookkeeping program - compatible with all types of computers, instead of with only those that were running a particular operating system.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%.

Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year, a natural increase that occurs without fail as more companies annually learn about the product and its incontestable merits.

In light of the additional information, which of the following, if true, best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?


A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.


Got totally stumped on this CR question.Have no idea what it is asking and how to approach the problem! Any thorough analysis/categorization and explanation would be appreciated.Thx!


I approached the question in a timed scenario (1:50).
1. Its a paradox question.
2. Additional info clearly states that the PLAN didn't work
3. Result of 5% increase is a natural market instinct, as established by add info.

4. What can explain this paradox? Any evidence that shows the company was active in the market (complying to add info) and never really executed the plan (Hence the NATURAL 5% increase)

Clearly 'B' is the only option that follows the explanation in Sl No. 4. That is, marketing was done but the new product was not marketed properly --> 5% increase in sales

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: GMAT Coach
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 130

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Location: Peru
GPA: 3.98
Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 06:54
Tobybun wrote:
arkle wrote:
Plan: Last year, to improve sales, a software company decided to make its flagship product - a professional bookkeeping program - compatible with all types of computers, instead of with only those that were running a particular operating system.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%.

Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year, a natural increase that occurs without fail as more companies annually learn about the product and its incontestable merits.

In light of the additional information, which of the following, if true, best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?


A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.


Got totally stumped on this CR question.Have no idea what it is asking and how to approach the problem! Any thorough analysis/categorization and explanation would be appreciated.Thx!


I approached the question in a timed scenario (1:50).
1. Its a paradox question.
2. Additional info clearly states that the PLAN didn't work
3. Result of 5% increase is a natural market instinct, as established by add info.

4. What can explain this paradox? Any evidence that shows the company was active in the market (complying to add info) and never really executed the plan (Hence the NATURAL 5% increase)

Clearly 'B' is the only option that follows the explanation in Sl No. 4. That is, marketing was done but the new product was not marketed properly --> 5% increase in sales



How can you assume that the new product was not marketed properly?
B explicitly says "Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features."

Can you really say that one of the most successful [marketing]firms did not market the product properly?
_________________

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Status: GMAT Coach
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 130

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Location: Peru
GPA: 3.98
Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 07:47
arkle wrote:
Plan: Last year, to improve sales, a software company decided to make its flagship product - a professional bookkeeping program - compatible with all types of computers, instead of with only those that were running a particular operating system.

Result: Last year, the sales of the product increased by 5%.

Additional Information: For the previous 9 years the sales of the product increased 5% for every year, a natural increase that occurs without fail as more companies annually learn about the product and its incontestable merits.

In light of the additional information, which of the following, if true, best explains the result that followed the implementation of the plan?


A) Because bookkeeping programs are used by professionals, they are required to be highly efficient and trustworthy applications, a demand leading to a competitive market and the failure of many mediocre software products.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

C) Three years ago, due to an embarrassing internal fraud scandal, the managing director of the software company was fired and replaced by a business manager who, though talented, was somewhat inexperienced.

D) Constant inflation during the past few years has had a noticeable effect causing prices to rise, salaries to rise, and an overall growth and stabilization of the economy.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.


Got totally stumped on this CR question.Have no idea what it is asking and how to approach the problem! Any thorough analysis/categorization and explanation would be appreciated.Thx!




I do not agree with any of the choices. Most of these choices are explained. However, some users chose B – the official answer.

The explanation given for option B claims that the product was not marketed properly; but what does properly marketing mean? Option B clearly states that “Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field”. Can we really say that the product was not properly marketed?

It has been claimed that users did not buy the software because they were unaware that the software now supports their operating systems because no one advertised about it. This is a strong assumption, based on the phrase “not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.”
Nevertheless, that the marketing firm “did not wish to distract potential customers with details of added features” does not imply that the firm did not advertise that the product was now supported by other systems. “Details of added features” is not the same as “supported by other systems”, this latter expression does not mean added features.

So B is not a good choice either.

I believe that a good explanation could be that the users of the program were changing the operating system they currently use or that the market for the users of the software in the current operating system is already saturated, and sales would not increase if the market were not expanded to other systems.
_________________

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 17

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 892

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 20:28
A does nor help to resolve, but increases the paradox.
C,D,E cannot show why the sales are not increased.
B is closed to the sales boosts, so B is the answer => b/c a marketing firm is the factor that determines the sales, not a bookkeeping program.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 51

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 136

Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 04:27
LogicGuru1 wrote:
ANSWER IS B

When software was made only for Windows , it used to grow at 5% per year.
Last year, the software was made for Windows, Linux, iOS, Android UNIX and OSX. --> BUT SALES REMAINED STATIC.

B) Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field, and one that chose to highlight the company's brand name in general, not wishing to distract potential customers with details of added features.

E) To maintain a positive corporate image as the provider of competent and up-to-date software, companies need to constantly sharpen, restructure, and enhance their programs, offering solutions to previous limitations.
WRONG:- Irrelevant

cledgard wrote:
Nevertheless, that the marketing firm “did not wish to distract potential customers with details of added features” does not imply that the firm did not advertise that the product was now supported by other systems. “Details of added features” is not the same as “supported by other systems”, this latter expression does not mean added features.

So B is not a good choice either.

Like cledgard, I disagree with the OA (B) but I think (E) is a viable alternative. What's one reason the program's increased availability wouldn't result in improved sales? Well, what if increasing the number of platforms on which a software is available is par for the course - required each year to maintain that 5% growth figure?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 136

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 22:12
Hi

I ruled out B for its wording "Marketing for the product is handled by one of the most successful firms in its field". How can a "most successful marketing firm" ignore the key added feature of a product it is marketing?

Can someone resolve my paradox?

TIA

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Last year, to improve sales, a software company   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2017, 22:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Last year, to improve sales, a software company

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.