It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Law firms and other professional services groups, academic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 178

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Law firms and other professional services groups, academic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 20:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (00:01) correct 40% (02:24) wrong based on 26 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 241

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 21:30
I think A is fine.

As far as i know...the use of "which" in GMAT always requires a "comma" before it .

If there are exceptions then please share.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 909

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 22:36
iamba wrote:
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments CORRECT, most concise
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments


My answer is C.. not sure if E is too passive.. any other input?

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 241

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 22:41
I didnt pick C because it says "
the best junior employees compete for the most attractive "

I dont think it says anywhere in the original sentence that only the "Best Junior" employees compete...i took that as a change in the meaning.

beckee529 wrote:
iamba wrote:
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments CORRECT, most concise
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments


My answer is C.. not sure if E is too passive.. any other input?
:? :?

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 909

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 22:43
empty_spaces wrote:
I didnt pick C because it says "
the best junior employees compete for the most attractive "

I dont think it says anywhere in the original sentence that only the "Best Junior" employees compete...i took that as a change in the meaning.

beckee529 wrote:
iamba wrote:
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments CORRECT, most concise
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments


My answer is C.. not sure if E is too passive.. any other input?
:? :?


Ahhh good catch.. didn't see that one :oops:

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2734

Kudos [?]: 1087 [0], given: 4

Location: New York City
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 22:45
empty_spaces wrote:
I think A is fine.

As far as i know...the use of "which" in GMAT always requires a "comma" before it .

If there are exceptions then please share.


there are lots of exceptions. which is always preceeded by a comma if it is starting a nonrestrictive clause. anyone that scores about 700 needs to know which is a pronoun.

of which
through which
under which

Kudos [?]: 1087 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 241

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 22:51
thanks Bmwhype....You got a list of any more such exceptions/rules for SC ?


bmwhype2 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
I think A is fine.

As far as i know...the use of "which" in GMAT always requires a "comma" before it .

If there are exceptions then please share.


there are lots of exceptions. which is always preceeded by a comma if it is starting a nonrestrictive clause. anyone that scores about 700 needs to know which is a pronoun.

of which
through which
under which

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2734

Kudos [?]: 1087 [0], given: 4

Location: New York City
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 23:34
empty_spaces wrote:
thanks Bmwhype....You got a list of any more such exceptions/rules for SC ?


bmwhype2 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
I think A is fine.

As far as i know...the use of "which" in GMAT always requires a "comma" before it .

If there are exceptions then please share.


there are lots of exceptions. which is always preceeded by a comma if it is starting a nonrestrictive clause. anyone that scores about 700 needs to know which is a pronoun.

of which
through which
under which


there are too many to list. you just have to pick apart sentences and ask why the sentence is structured the way it is.

Kudos [?]: 1087 [0], given: 4

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 909

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2007, 23:50
iamba wrote:
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments


so what is the official answer? :)

Kudos [?]: 295 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 521

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Talent Marketplaces [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2007, 05:35
iamba wrote:
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive. a) where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
b) in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive
c) where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
d) that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments
e) in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments


I believe C is correct after zeroing on to A and C because of 'where'. Since Market place is a location, 'where' is more suitable than "which" or "in which" atleast in this sentence.
C is more precise and clear when in the later part of sentence when it says : "the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments". A also says the same thing but with more words..

Hence C.

wht's OA ?

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2007
Posts: 96

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2007, 06:27
Will go for C..

Which is used only to refer to things/objects, events or unnamed animals (source:OG) and where is used to refer Places. Here "Marketplace" is a virtual place and hence I prefer "Where",...

So C

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 178

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2007, 18:19
I had picked C too, but OA is E

This question uses the incorrect pronoun "where" to refer to "informal talent marketplaces." "Where" is used to refer to physical locations, but the "talent marketplaces" are a metaphorical construct, not an actual geographical location. In this case, "in which" is the appropriate construction. The original answer choice also utilizes unnecessary turns of phrase in its use of “best employees junior to them,” as well as “assignments that they find most attractive,” both of which use excessive language and could be expressed more succinctly.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice correctly changes "where" to "in which" but incorrectly uses the conjunction “and” between the terms “strive” and “identify,” suggesting that the two terms denote two distinct activities, as opposed to the intended single activity of identifying the best junior employees. Also, “assignments that they find most attractive” are unnecessarily wordy.

(C) This answer repeats the original pronoun error ("where").

(D) This choice incorrectly uses the conjunction “and” between the terms “strive” and “identify,” suggesting that the two terms denote two distinct activities, as opposed to the intended single activity of identifying the best junior employees.

(E) This choice correctly changes "where" to "in which" and also rephrases the sentence more concisely ("best junior employees"; "most attractive assignments").

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 315

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2007, 19:53
iamba wrote:
I had picked C too, but OA is E

This question uses the incorrect pronoun "where" to refer to "informal talent marketplaces." "Where" is used to refer to physical locations, but the "talent marketplaces" are a metaphorical construct, not an actual geographical location. In this case, "in which" is the appropriate construction. The original answer choice also utilizes unnecessary turns of phrase in its use of “best employees junior to them,” as well as “assignments that they find most attractive,” both of which use excessive language and could be expressed more succinctly.


Good question. The use of "where" in C got me too. I debated between C and E for a minute before I chose C. :roll:

Last edited by gluon on 29 Jul 2007, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

  [#permalink] 29 Jul 2007, 19:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Law firms and other professional services groups, academic

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.