GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1376
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 02:10
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (01:20) correct 26% (01:40) wrong based on 314 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.

In the lawyer's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.
B. It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
C. It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
D. It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
E. It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.

_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 369
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 03:18
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.

In the lawyer's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.
B. It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
C. It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
D. It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
E. It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.


IMO the answer is E, as this is a judgement of the lawyers by the people. And the lawyer aka the author doesn't agree with this judgement.

Waiting for the OA.
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Posts: 6
CAT Tests
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 03:47
The answer is E
- It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 18:30
E. The bold sentence casts judgement on lawyers without proper explanation. The rest of the paragraph sheds light on the real reason behind the conflict.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 682
Premium Member
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 20:55
Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.


The contrast word "yet" explains that a contrast is coming up in the argument. E is the correct answer.
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1652
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 01:52
the question can be answered by only the first sentence. The whole argument is made by a lawyer, so the argument is made to oppose a claim.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 653
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 06:08
GMATNinja and other experts-please explain how the answer is E and not B. Clearly, the BF is not opposed by the argument.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 635
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 07:03
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.

In the lawyer's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.
B. It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
C. It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
D. It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
E. It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.

Will go with E..
Check the 1st sentence, lawyers "alone" is responsible for the blah blah..
But argument is concluding plentiff greed also plays a great role in that..

So E

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3614
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 09:22
KS15 wrote:
GMATNinja and other experts-please explain how the answer is E and not B. Clearly, the BF is not opposed by the argument.


The important word to note is the marker word "yet". The lawyer says people blame lawyers alone but the reality is something else.

Hence, we can say this boldface is a judgement that the argument opposes by providing the example of plaintiff.

Let's talk about B. "It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain."

No, Author is not explaining this finding. Note that when we say explain we should not be against it. We should elaborate it further.

I hope that makes sense. :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 653
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 21:32
1
Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.



I disagree-important word is not 'yet' but 'has also'. Read the argument again and let me know what you think.

Experts-anyone?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Aug 2012
Posts: 132
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 21:34
1
for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system.

1)Many people blame lawyers alone

2)Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.

part 2 which is not bolded provided alternate reason other than 1. It opposes the judgement given in bolded part 1
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 653
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 21:50
2
kannu44 wrote:
for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system.

1)Many people blame lawyers alone

2)Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.

part 2 which is not bolded provided alternate reason other than 1. It opposes the judgement given in bolded part 1



It does not provide alternate reason but an additional reason-see words I highlighted in blue.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51121
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 10:27
broall wrote:
Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.

In the lawyer's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.
B. It is a finding that the argument seeks to explain.
C. It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
D. It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
E. It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.


VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:



Correct Answer: E

The boldface portion is set off from the rest of the stimulus by the word "yet," a signal that what comes after is in opposition to the first sentence. The main conclusion is that plaintiffs' greed is causing more conflicts to be settled through lawsuits, so choice A is incorrect. The bold section is neither a finding nor evidence, so choices B and D are each incorrect. Choice C describes the opposite of the bold portion's function. Choice E, the correct answer, describes its role accurately: the rest of the stimulus explains why the judgment in bold is wrong.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 23:37
[quote="broall"]Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline in people's ability to resolve conflicts outside of the court system. Yet, clearly, plaintiffs' greed has also played an important role in this decline. In the past ten years, lawsuits involving damages of more than one million dollars have risen sharply, and analysis of those lawsuits show that a number of them involve plaintiffs who decided to sue against the advice of their lawyers.

In the lawyer's argument, the portion in boldface plays which of the following roles?

A. It is the main conclusion of the argument.
B. It is afinding that the argument seeks to explain.
C. It is an explanation that the argument concludes is correct.
D. It provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
E. It introduces a judgment that the argument opposes.[/As per the first sentence, "lawyers alone" are responsible for Y (X alone causes Y) but as per the next sentence, plaintiffs' greed is "also" responsible for Y (Z also causes Y), therefore, BF is a judgement that the rest of the stimulus is against. ]
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jun 2018, 23:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Lawyer: Many people blame lawyers alone for the decline

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.