Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Lawyer to MBA - wanting to work in a startup post-MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sfhmr I went from law to entrepreneurship myself and I am so glad that I did. It was funny because when I was at to Tulane Law my colleague said I think you’re more of a people person than a bookworm and that was extremely accurate :-)

i’m meh about Georgetown given your ambitions but Darden is absolutely a fantastic place for entrepreneurship. I’m very bullish about it. They have lots of externships where the students work very closely with start ups in Charlottesville. They have a terrific entrepreneurship center and they’re placing more focus on this all the time. That coupled with the case method makes me always very enthusiastic about Darden for entrepreneurship.

sfhmr wrote:
Hi everyone! I apologize if this is not the right place to post this, but I would highly appreciate your advice :)

I’m a Spanish lawyer (Female, 28 yo) with over six years of experience in M&A, business operations and corporate law. I have been working for only two months now as the sole in-house lawyer of a Spanish b-corp fintech startup and prior to that I worked as a senior business lawyer for a UK listed law firm, providing legal advice to startups and VC funds. I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from #1 law school in Spain and an LLM from ESADE Business School.

I am really interested in shifting careers and would love to move to business development / operations roles, specially within a high-growth startup in US, and would like to start my own startup/company in a few years from now. This is why I decided I wanted to pursue an MBA, and was looking initially at European MBAs (IESE and HEC), but since I’m moving with my partner to Washington DC I have been considering Georgetown McDonough or UVA Darden FT MBA. I know there are stronger schools in terms of entrepreneurship (Wharton, Haas) but since my GPAs are pretty low I have not considered applying.

My question is, should I consider other more “non-traditional” MBAs if I’m not interested in following the typical consulting / IB career after graduation? I was thinking perhaps in Babson FT MBA. I am worried that schools such as McDonough or Darden do not offer their graduates many opportunities in terms of entrepreneurship or connexions with startups or even incubators / VC funds, etc.

Any kind of advice / suggestion, would be highly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Lawyer to MBA - wanting to work in a startup post-MBA [#permalink]