Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [3]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [2]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: Lawyers and B-School [#permalink]
can't help you with #1 and 2, but I'm pretty sure (after talking to a Law School friend of mine) that Law school (and Engineering/Med School) degrees are MUCH harder academically. B-school is tough not because of the academics, but because of all the things you have to juggle (networking, searching for a job, leading clubs, etc...) all at once.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
You should PM pelihu with these questions. Not sure how often he is around but he was a lawyer but is now a 1st year at Darden, and is heading into IB.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
1. There are not so many lawyers out there. It can be unique although falling into the basket of liberal arts/consultants guys. It is not a 'switching' thing that they look at but the proof that "you are not running from law" (see Montauk's book).

2. I have heard that Juris Doctor/ Joint Degree helps, especially in IB.

3. The law school program is one of the most rigorous programs on the planet. So if you have good GPA from a law school then it might be a proof to the adcoms that you will catch up with the rigorous b-school schedule. I remember, the Wharton adcom told me that lawyer do really well at their program :P

PM me if you want to ask smth more specific. Btw, I also am a lawyer.

Originally posted by nick_sun on 25 Apr 2008, 02:47.
Last edited by nick_sun on 20 May 2008, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
As mentioned, I have a JD and I'm at Darden. Here's what I've noticed.

<snip>

3. From an academic standpoint, law school was probably a little tougher, but business school requires better time management. This is coming from an English major though. If your verbal skills are less than top notch, law school could prove to be a lot more difficult. Business school seems to abound with people with great quantitative skills, but if you have a hard time with math business school will be no picnic. It's just that, there aren't that many people that suck at math who are at business school.

Pelihu,
Please excuse some personal curiosity on my part but, If you have the time, could you perhaps expand a bit on the ways they skew. I suppose I am really curious if one is more amenable to a particular type of learner.
Help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
helpslip wrote:

Pelihu,
Please excuse some personal curiosity on my part but, If you have the time, could you perhaps expand a bit on the ways they skew. I suppose I am really curious if one is more amenable to a particular type of learner.
Help!

Hmm, that's not an easy question to answer. Let me give it a shot.

<snip>

so, based on my experience, I think pretty much everyone can learn the math skills required to succeed in business school, but a pretty substantial portion of folks can't learn the skills necessary for law school (top schools) no matter how hard they work at it. This isn't a comparison of math a verbal skills. There's definitely math out there that the vast majority of people will never be able to understand no matter how hard they try; it's just that business school doesn't require those skills (for the most part). If you can just get comfortable with manipulating fractions, you've pretty much got it. On the other hand, law school isn't just about verbal skills. It's more than just being able to read quickly. Learning to draw logical conclusions and working through logic games and challenges is essential, and at the top schools you must be able to really quickly. There's just too much material to cover. I think that's why LSAT is a bigger part of admissions than the GMAT is. People who struggle on the GMAT might still be able to succeed in business school, but people who struggle on the LSAT are dead meat in law school. So anyone who has struggled to get to the 90th or 99th percentile on the GMAT verbal, imagine 50% more material per section, more complicated thought processes, and competition from a much more logically/verbally oriented pool of talent and you have the LSAT.

Hi Pelihu,
Thanks for the (as usual) cogent summation. I take heart from your assertion that an English major can survive Bschool math. :)

Your point about the comparative difficulty is interesting. Obviously the logic games differ greatly from anything presented on the GMAT but the RC and CR questions that I have seen (e.g., Princeton study material) did not strike me as fundamentally more difficult. However, your point about the # of folks who finish the actual test within the time frame is a good one. Additionally, I suspect that a majority of LSAT takers are likely to excel in CR/RC whereas these two areas are usually the trailing field for GMAT takers (as evidence by the usual quant / verbal score splits). You have piqued my curiosity. I am going to throw down the 8 bucks and see what an actual LSAT looks like.

Thanks again.

Help!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I believe law school was way more difficult academically. Business school doesn't require nearly as much homework, research, etc. I know many classmates from business school who barely showed up to class. Many schools don't even use traditional grading scales. If you succeed academically in law school, you should be fine in business school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi, posting here because my profile is similar.

Was wondering if its possible to impress top B-school (H/S/W) admissions as a corporate lawyer (WE at matriculation will be 4 years at a quality M&A/capital markets law firm) from India with a law degree from the best Indian law school? Have clerking experience, law review and leadership roles in law school and also took a certificate course at Wharton during my study-abroad at Penn. I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but assuming I get a 720+ score? I'm happy with the exposure in my current role and though I'm looking to transition to IB/consulting post-MBA, I wouldn't want to attempt that jump pre-MBA. Thanks!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot