GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 02:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

LBS and INSEAD vs US Schools

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Darden   INSEAD   LBS   Ross (Michigan)   
Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: LBS and INSEAD vs US Schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 09:00
fxmbaconsulting wrote:
You have to look at the situation holistically. If the office location you are looking at is not as competitive then you can bend the rules on some of the other factors. In terms of getting into the McK office in NYC....a 720/30 GMAT is usually part of their screening process.

That is probably true. I'm really no expert, so I'm not in a position to judge the competitiveness between offices, but it is fair to assume that the NY offices of all 3 MBB firms are among the most sought after. That being said, there might be opportunities, even inside the US, in different offices where the bar might not be so high. And there's always the possibility of a transfer after a few years once you're hired (although it's not that easy, and it might depend on availability/projects and personal performance).

Thanks for your inputs!
Admission Consultant
LBS and INSEAD vs US Schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 18:13
As a way of judging office prestige/competitiveness - within a given country there seems to be a correlation between prestige and the $$ cost per square unit of rental space. That makes NYC and SanFran highly competitive. I would not bank on a transfer but sure, it is also a possibility.

As an example, one guy I was very good friends with at Sloan went from Infrastructure to IB. This was 2008-10 so the market was a mess by the way. Anyway he was Italian and landed an internship at Deutsche Bank in London. Then the London team extended him a FT offer sometime after the summer. I guess there was technically a policy whereby if you got an offer you could request a different location. Like an idiot this guy thought NYC would be even more prestigious than London so requested the NYC office at the last minute - and the London team was like 'Uh err well ok'. The NYC bosses hated him (probably because they felt saddled with someone they didn't choose on a technicality).

He was among the first to go in subsequent layoffs.
Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 09:54
Many thanks for insightful discussion!

I'm wondering whether studying in schools having small consulting incline and coming to heavy consulting schools (INSEAD, LBS, or Kellog) on long excbange can give a more or less the same opportunities to land in MBB? Do exchange students have the same exlosure to recruiters and are considered like the native part of the class (at least in mentioned schools)?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 12:23
asimov wrote:
Cantona wrote:
hmm given your scenario I would dig a little deeper. I think what Hailmary said is not all that correct.

If your goal is MBB... there is nearly no other school that matches INSEAD, period. Just look at the placement stats. Similarly, LBS also places incredibly well into MBB. This is on par with US top 5, and far above the 10-20 US rate. I believe MBB is starting to recruit less at Ross, etc.

I would agree that going from EU to US is harder than from US to EU, but that is another issue.

LBS and INSEAD place very well in Europe. So given your scenario, you should take a closer look.
I would agree with Hailmary on assessment of ease of entry to MBB from US school vs. INSEAD/LBS. One issue that employment stats distort is pre-MBA employment. Many of those landing a job in MBB or consulting, are ones who've worked at MBB or consulting before. The difficult to get into consulting from European schools is compounded by the fact there is not internship culture. It makes it more difficult to make a career transition.

What do you mean there is no internship culture in Europe? If you go to LBS for an MBA, and say want to go to IB, wouldn't you do an internship in the summer or duitng the school year potentially?! I am between LBS and CBS for i-banking/finance.
Intern
Intern
LBS and INSEAD vs US Schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 13:58
fxmbaconsulting wrote:
You have to look at the situation holistically. If the office location you are looking at is not as competitive then you can bend the rules on some of the other factors. In terms of getting into the McK office in NYC....a 720/30 GMAT is usually part of their screening process.

What would be the cut off for GMAT and age for a woman going to investment banking (associate post MBA) then? 720 GMAT and 30 years age? Is this in Europe or US? If I am not mistaken they can't ask you about age in US... ? Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 10:14
Best to ask MBA alumni from INSEAD / LBS (or other schools) how much the school helped them to get the job they wanted.

If you don't know alumni from these schools, you can reach out to them on network.mba website.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: LBS and INSEAD vs US Schools   [#permalink] 15 May 2016, 10:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

LBS and INSEAD vs US Schools

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate