GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

new topic post reply Update application status  

Where do I go?

• 42% [8]
  • 10% [2]
  • 42% [8]
  • 5% [1]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Mar 2019, 04:30

Originally posted by bschooled7 on 12 Feb 2019, 07:08.
Last edited by bschooled7 on 14 Mar 2019, 04:30, edited 2 times in total.
Consortium Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Re: *  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 10:38
Hey! Congrats on the admits :)

I'd take a look at the employment reports for each of the schools. It looks like at Tuck International students go to Consulting and are able to get into MBB and the BB banks you want to get into. I think LBS and Stern have pretty good feed into those firms as well. These are all great options, but the location among them is extremely different and the culture as well.

I think you can't go wrong with any of these, but if you really want to stay in the US then a US school is your best shot. If you want UK (careful with brexit here, intentionally did not write EU), then LBS.

Anecdotally, I've heard that anyone who wants IB really bad at Tuck can get it (but again, look at employment reports). Also, Tuck is a huge feeder into consulting.

Because of your deep want to get out of your geographic area, I would suggest calling the career services office to ask about International student placing into the companies you want--they will likely have this data but not post it.
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 13:35
bschooled7 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I could really use your advice on which offer I should accept.

Background: Non-US citizen. "Elite" undergrad b-school, take it with a grain of salt though because I ended up not being able to find a job post-graduation and had to return home. I was able to build a career in the emerging markets despite the odds through a crazy amount of hustle. My "elite" institution meant jack sh*t to employers this part of the world and I found myself competing with thousands from India, Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan etc. for positions that paid peanuts, around 10k/ year. With a lot of persistence, I am finally in a position 7 years-in where I can confidently say I am happy with what I've achieved at 30. Finally make enough to pay for my own apartment and drive around in my own car (literally as of last year). But I can't seem to get rid of that gnawing feeling of envy when I look at my former (American) classmates' LinkedIns, many have gone on to rise to VP at GS/JP/MS, Principal at Carlyle/ KKR, EM at McKinsey etc. I know at least 5 people who've made it to the Forbes 30 under 30 list. There just aren't those kinds of careers to aspire to, let alone the opportunities to leverage, these parts of the world. Add to that issues like workplace discrimination and gender disparities, this region is really not where I want to get stuck long-term.

A lot of us international students who entered the job market between 2009 and 2012 had to face an impossibly uphill climb when it came to getting recruited out of college due to bad market conditions and an unwillingness on the part of employers (i-banks, MBBs) etc. to sponsor undergrads for an H1B.

So my question being, should I give the American dream a second shot this time around despite the government's stance on immigration? Especially considering that the obstacles in an international student's path this time around are a completely different beast altogether? As a minority, growth prospects the region I live in are downright abysmal. Part of me really really wants to get out of the Middle East, with all its geopolitical uncertainties and standards of freedom, even if it means starting over from scratch in the US or London. But my worst fear would be ending up back here post-MBA, neck-deep in debt!

Which one of these schools might set me up best to recruit for positions in the US or London as an international student? While I come from VC/ PE, I realize that my resume carries little weight from an MBA recruiting standpoint with no American/ European experience to speak of. I am open to investment banking, consulting or even rotational LDPs. Anything, really! I'd love your perspectives, because I am really stuck. Tbh, the thought of borrowing 200k-250k at 7% and repaying it until my 92nd birthday if I can't remain in the US this time around terrifies me! Same risk imo with London Business School, not sure what the UK job market's going to look like 2 years from now either.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out, much appreciated!

Hello bschooled7

You have interesting story.

I totally get that you want to get out of Middle East and understand your biggest fears.

I am not sure anybody can predict your post vise issues for sure, 2 years from now, except the fact that I personally dont expect for you to have any issues.

I expect that company that recruits you will sort papers for you and after going to any of these elite three schools you should not have any problems being recruited.

Seems to me like you def should give a second try to american dream, especially since Forbes list was something you checked ;)

I can see that Tuck is usually a little bit better ranked than Stern, although if it was me, choice would be between LBS and Stern, due to fact that I personally would much rather live in NY or London.

And would have hard time to decide between them :)

But that is just me.

There is also this FT ranking list where LBS is better ranked than American counterparts mentioned with salary info also :

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2019

Don't worry, whatever you decide, the way I see it you dont go back to Middle East..like ever. ;)

I am going to vote here for Stern, NY is going to be best place for recruiting (London comes second), since I believe you are more inclined toward America (I also believe Tuck is your first choice for now, due to usual rankings ).

I also have found some rankings to back my choice :) :

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

Good Luck :dazed :geek:
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: MBA Journeys
Schools: Haas '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 16:32
I'd go with Tuck - it's your safest bet. There is a near 100% chance you'll be able to find a great-paying, visa sponsoring job in the US (since it sounds like finances + never going back to the middle east are your top priorities). Tuck is also a feeder school for consulting, which might be a nice option for you (plus some firms will help pay for your tuition)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 19:32
Hi bschooled7

I can understand your situation. I went through the same phase. Did my undergrad and entered the job market in 2009, and then did my masters from london and entered job market in 2012. Not so surprisingly actually worked for peanuts and with all these questions in mind still trying for American dream and going for MBA in US.

Some point in life we have to take that risk and take that leap of faith. That's what I am doing. Yes it will require hard work to get that job in US and sponsorship but that's what we are supposed to do.

Coming to your choices.. you can never go wrong with Tuck or stern if you want to work in USA post-MBA.
All the best for the choice you make.

bschooled7 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I could really use your advice on which offer I should accept.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out, much appreciated!

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Feb 2019, 08:36
dominationstation
dominationstation wrote:
I'd go with Tuck - it's your safest bet. There is a near 100% chance you'll be able to find a great-paying, visa sponsoring job in the US (since it sounds like finances + never going back to the middle east are your top priorities). Tuck is also a feeder school for consulting, which might be a nice option for you (plus some firms will help pay for your tuition)

Thank you for your advice! I feel confident about taking the step having read your responses on the thread. Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say consulting firms may help with your tuition? My understanding from friends in consulting is that you have be employed with an MBB firm to be sponsored for your MBA.

Originally posted by bschooled7 on 16 Feb 2019, 03:48.
Last edited by bschooled7 on 16 Feb 2019, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 06:13
Congrats for your schools. :)

If you are going to take loan, so you must aim for the best. I see you fit in Tuck and can achieve your dreams. As I was in contact with many alumni Tuck, I truly experienced what close knight mean to them with many examples. One of them is how they help each other to spread resume. The career office is truly supportive too.

Final note, I would avoid LBS as the uncertainty in Uk is very high.

I have sent you PM too.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: *   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 06:13

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch