GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits nu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits nu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 17:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

43% (02:52) correct 57% (03:00) wrong based on 179 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits numbers abcd exist such that the four digits are all distinct, no digit is zero, and the product of a and b is the two-digit number cd?

(A) 4
(B) 6
(C) 12
(D) 24
(E) 36

This is one of the easier questions from a bank of 15 challenging questions. You can see the whole set, as well as the OE for this question, here:
Challenging GMAT Math Practice Questions

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits nu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 22:46
mikemcgarry wrote:
Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits numbers abcd exist such that the four digits are all distinct, no digit is zero, and the product of a and b is the two-digit number cd?

(A) 4
(B) 6
(C) 12
(D) 24
(E) 36

This is one of the easier questions from a bank of 15 challenging questions. You can see the whole set, as well as the OE for this question, here:
Challenging GMAT Math Practice Questions

Odd integer : 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9

a b c d

\(a*b=cd\)

\(7*9=63\)
\(9*7=63\)

\(9*3=27\)
\(3*9=27\)

\(7*3=21\)
\(3*7=21\)

Answer : 6

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits nu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 11:37
Hi Mike,

Is 3*5=15 not a possible case?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 13:48
kavyagupta wrote:
Hi Mike,

Is 3*5=15 not a possible case?

That would be a repeated number (2 5s), which is not allowed. Kudos if you agree!
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 05:39
Lets list out all the constraints first:
d- odd / a,b,c,d- distinct and Non Zero (range 1 to 9) / a x b = [c] [d]

Based on given constraints, let's derive:
a x b > 10 , distinct and odd. Therefore, both a and b are odd numbers.

Now lets draw out combinations basis above:
a cannot be 1 as max b is 9. So product will be less than 10.
a=3 ; b=5 or 7 or 9. Numbers formed 3515 (non distinct) / 3721 / 3927 = 2 numbers
a=5 ; b=3 or 7 or 9. Numbers formed 5315 (non distict) / 5735 (non distict) / 5945 (non distinct). = 0 number
a=7 ; b=3 or 5 or 9. Numbers formed 7321 / 7535 (non distict) / 3927. = 2 numbers
a=9 ; b=3 or 5 or 7. Numbers formed 9327 / 9545 (non distict) / 9763. = 2 numbers

Total possible 4-digit numbers = 6
Hence, Correct choice B
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 09:56
Thanks mikemcgarry for the good question.
Could you please point on mistake in my solution?

I don't understand why a, b, c can't be even?
If abcd is odd, it means that d is odd. But the product cd can be even, if c is even. It gives us combinations (the last digit in the sets is c; a,b have 2 options):
d=1: 2,4,8; 2,3,6;
d=3: 6,4,8; 1,6,2; 2,6,4; 2,9,6
d=5: d=7 - no options;
d=9: 3,6,2;
So, we have 7 options and applying permutations we are getting 4 options for each of the numbers (2*2*1*1): 7*4=28.
Please point on my mistake.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits nu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 10:41
StaicyT wrote:
Thanks mikemcgarry for the good question.
Could you please point on mistake in my solution?

I don't understand why a, b, c can't be even?
If abcd is odd, it means that d is odd. But the product cd can be even, if c is even. It gives us combinations (the last digit in the sets is c; a,b have 2 options):
d=1: 2,4,8; 2,3,6;
d=3: 6,4,8; 1,6,2; 2,6,4; 2,9,6
d=5: d=7 - no options;
d=9: 3,6,2;
So, we have 7 options and applying permutations we are getting 4 options for each of the numbers (2*2*1*1): 7*4=28.
Please point on my mistake.

Dear StaicyT,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I think what you may be missing is what exactly is denoted by "cd." Consider the very end of the prompt:

. . . and the product of a and b is the two-digit number cd?

Thus, "cd" does NOT denote a product of two single digits, but instead a single two-digit number.

Thus, if c = 8 and d = 1, "cd" is NOT the product (8)(1) = 8, but the number 81. Obviously, we can't have two different single digits numbers that have a product of 81.

If d is odd, then the two-digit number "cd" has to be odd. This, in turn, means that a & b must be odd, because their product is an odd two-digit number. It is possible for c to be even: for example, the number 3721 satisfies the conditions of the question.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 10:48
mikemcgarry,
now I got it! thanks a lot:)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 02:49
Since it is an odd number, the last digits can be 1,3,5,7,9. Now you have to choose cd in such a way that it is a composite number. Also the the two numbers a * b shouldn't be double digit. After screening you get 21, 63 and 27 for cd. Hence the numbers are 3721, 7321, 9763, 7963, 9327, 3927. The answer hence is 6. That's B

Posted from my mobile device please give kudos if you liked my post

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits nu &nbs [#permalink] 07 Feb 2018, 02:49

Let abcd be a general four-digit number. How many odd four-digits nu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap