It is currently 22 Jun 2017, 07:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 283
Premium Member
Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2012, 22:45
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:28) correct 52% (01:22) wrong based on 806 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would
prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners
would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the
proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime,
making the city safer for all of its citizens.
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the
opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals
would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with
impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.
In the letter to the editor, the
two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A) The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is
that position.
b) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second offers
evidence to contradict this pattern.
c) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the
author’s position.
d) The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a statement of
fact that undermines the author’s position.
e) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second
offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

********************
Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 43
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 10:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Kindly provide explanation to this CR question. I chose C.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Posts: 120
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 00:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
GetThisDone wrote:
Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would
prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners
would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the
proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime,
making the city safer for all of its citizens.
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the
opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals
would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with
impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.
In the letter to the editor, the
two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A) The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is
that position.
b) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second offers
evidence to contradict this pattern.
c) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the
author’s position.
d) The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a statement of
fact that undermines the author’s position.
e) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second
offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html


In the first boldface the proponents claim that fewer handguns on the streets will lead to less violent crime. In the second boldface the author provides evidence to refute the proponent's claim.

Thus - a,b and d are out right wrong and thus eliminated.

Left with c and e - In C second boldface is not the author's position, it is evidence to support the position. The author's position is: Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect.

Thus, we are left with e. Hope this helps.
_________________

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 164
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2014, 02:32
Isnt the word "Evidence " in the OA wrong? I don't find any evidence there. what is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Posts: 120
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2014, 03:19
akankshasoneja wrote:
Isnt the word "Evidence " in the OA wrong? I don't find any evidence there. what is the source of this question?


hmmm yeah...I'd agree with your point. It is more of a claim than evidence.
_________________

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 354
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2014, 06:26
idinuv

Letter to the editor:

proponents of the Proposition Q- feel that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime, making the city safer for all of its citizens.------premise/ evidence- fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime( A leads to B- Direct relationship)
---------------conclusion - city safer for all of its citizens.

author----- premise/ evidence---- armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself....
conclusion-----city will not be safe.....


c) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the author’s position.....the first BF may be correct .. the second is not....it is not author's position but evidence......

e) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second offers evidence in support of the author’s position..........BF1- author believes it will not hold true......BF2- AUTHOR'S EVIDENCE.......CORRECT



KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Oh GMAT ! I give you one more shot :)
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 92
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2014, 12:44
akankshasoneja wrote:
Isnt the word "Evidence " in the OA wrong? I don't find any evidence there. what is the source of this question?


The author's claim is
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect.

And the evidence author provides to support his claim is the next sentence
Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.
_________________

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 126
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2014, 02:22
prasun9 wrote:
akankshasoneja wrote:
Isnt the word "Evidence " in the OA wrong? I don't find any evidence there. what is the source of this question?


The author's claim is
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect.

And the evidence author provides to support his claim is the next sentence
Since only law abiding citizens [b]would honor the ban, armed criminals would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.[/b]


i do agree, second cant be an evidence. Evidence has to be an undiputable fact. The usage of 'would' in the second bold face suggest that author is not sure of the outcome and it could best be author's belief or claim.
_________________

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 174
Location: Canada
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 14:59
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-criti ... questions/

I read it here that Evidence is something that has 'happened' in objective world.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2013
Posts: 55
GPA: 2.71
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 04:43
GetThisDone wrote:
Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would
prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners
would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the
proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime,
making the city safer for all of its citizens.
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the
opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals
would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with
impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.
In the letter to the editor, the
two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A) The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is
that position.
b) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second offers
evidence to contradict this pattern.
c) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the
author’s position.
d) The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a statement of
fact that undermines the author’s position.
e) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second
offers evidence in support of the author’s position.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html



I am pretty sure, this is the author's claim not the evidence. In any case C & E were the closest ones

Is there a way questions can be checked by moderators in case there are doubts on it??
Current Student
avatar
Status: Applied
Joined: 02 May 2014
Posts: 168
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 22:31
The authors claim is that the new law would not help in curbing crime and 2nd boldface is the reason why the author thinks it would not. Only option E states that hence E. hope this one helps.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 306
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 10:41
Proposition Q, a controversial measure on this year’s ballot, would
prohibit the ownership of handguns within the city’s limits. Under the plan, gun owners
would have a 90-day grace period to turn in their weapons to authorities. Proponents of the
proposition argue that fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime,
making the city safer for all of its citizens.
Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the
opposite effect. Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals
would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with
impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself.


1. Evidence: "a plan to ban ownership of handguns, make gun owners to turn in their weapons to authorities".

2. Main Conclusion (author believes the ban will make the city more dangerous rather): "Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the opposite effect."
Premise: "Since only law abiding citizens would honor the ban, armed criminals
would not only keep their weapons but would also have the confidence to act with
impunity on a population that could no longer defend itself
"

3. Intermediate conclusion (proponent's position): the ban will make "the city safer for all of its citizens"
Premise: "fewer handguns on the streets would lead to less violent crime"

(A) The first is an observation that the author uses to support a particular position; the second is that position.
B2 is not the position (conclusion) - it is a premise.

(B) The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the author believes to be true; the second makes a claim that contradicts this pattern.
The author does not believe it will come true.

(C) The first is a position that the author argues will not hold in this case; the second is the author’s position.
This one is tricky. Since the B1 unites both the intermediate conclusion (position that the author opposes) and the premise this should not be regarded as a solely a position. Let us see further.

(D) The first is a prediction that the author believes to be untrue. The second is a claim that undermines the author’s position.
B2 does the opposite - it is the premise that the author uses to support his conclusion.

(E) The first is a direct relationship that the author believes will not hold in this case; the second makes a claim in support of the author’s position.
As long as I don't like any of the above questions I choose E and I am done. However B2 is correctly named as a claim (premise) in support of the position. If I compare this description of B1 with the one in (C) I shall like (E) option because direct relationship sounds good to descrive a conlusion and a premise combined in one
_________________

KUDO me plenty

Chat Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 471
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 01:49
Would like to know why E over C?

As per the stem, since only law abiding citizens honor the ban, armed criminals ----

As per my understanding, this is not a evidence in support of author's position but author's position itself.

Please help to explain the flaw in the understanding.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 460
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 03:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
The author of the letter believes that the city’s proposed handgun ban will
actually make the city a more dangerous place. In support of this prediction, the
author offers the second boldfaced portion of the argument: an assertion that
criminals will feel increased confidence to act since their victims will no longer be
armed. This assertion contradicts the first boldfaced portion of the argument, a
relationship between fewer guns and less violent crime cited by proponents of
the ban.

(E) CORRECT. The first boldface portion shows a direct relationship between the
number of handguns and violent crime; proponents cite this relationship to
support the handgun ban, but the author refutes this relationship. The second
boldface portion provides evidence to support the author’s position that the
handgun ban will actually make the citizens of the city less safe.

or

1. There is a ban on guns proposed.
2. Position 1: fewer guns lead to less crime and a safer city (proponents- bold 1)
3. Position 2: The ban would lead to more crime and a more dangerous city (author)
4. Criminals would keep their guns and have more confidence because there is no threat of retaliation with a weapon (bold 2)

Clearly the authors position is opposite the position that is boldfaced as statement 1.

Based on that knowledge you can eliminate A & B. The author believes boldface 2 holds true so you can eliminate D quickly, which leaves you with C and E.

In C they state that the 2nd boldface is the authors position. But is it? The answer is no. His position is that its a more dangerous city.

E is the correct answer. The position is that its a more dangerous city. Why is it a more dangerous city? Because the criminals will be the only ones to keep their guns. That is a claim that supports his position.
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 82
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 23:18
warriorguy wrote:
Would like to know why E over C?

As per the stem, since only law abiding citizens honor the ban, armed criminals ----

As per my understanding, this is not a evidence in support of author's position but author's position itself.

Please help to explain the flaw in the understanding.


Author's position is considered author's conclusion. The conclusion is "Unfortunately, the ban would actually have the
opposite effect." The 2nd bold face is just a claim used to support this conclusion/ author's position. That's why E is still better than C, although there might be confuses regarding the word "evidence" in option E.

Hope this helps.
Re: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2017, 23:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Boldface Revision: Letter to the editor: Proposition Q souvik101990 8 26 Nov 2016, 06:35
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Letter to the editor: Our city plans to allow souvik101990 4 08 Oct 2016, 00:56
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Letter to the editor: Our city plans to allow major commerci Rock750 11 04 Nov 2016, 07:55
2 Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure aditi1903 8 25 May 2013, 16:56
5 Letter to the editor: The Senate recently voted to keep the dancinggeometry 6 17 Jul 2016, 03:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Letter to the editor: Proposition Q, a controversial measure

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.