Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Re: Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatVerbal

Though I got the correct answer (D)

Why is (D) written as " ...... as do humans and other warm-blooded animals" and not "...... as humans and other warm-blooded animals do"?

Here's an OG question on a similar concept and the answer is (B)

More than 30 years ago, Dr. Barbara McClintock, the Nobel Prize winner, reported that genes can "jump," as pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another.

(B) like pearls moving mysteriously from one necklace to another
(C) as pearls do that move mysteriously from one necklace to others
(E) as do pearls that move mysteriously from one necklace to some other
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
A quick way would be to know ability of vs ability to

Ability of is incorrect.

A,C,E are out.

Like is not followed by a verb when used for comparison, hence B is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
B. Researchers report that within a narrow range, the lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperature like humans and other warm-blooded animals do.

IMO use of like here is right as like is followed by a clause. Ability of lotus is compares with the same ability of humans and other warm blooded animals. This option is wrong because of meaning change with the wrong placement of " within a narrow range"

Experts, plz clarify my understanding on the use of like in the option.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
"Keep its temperatures in a narrow range" is not necessarily wrong, but "keep . . . to" also works, so that's not a problem. However, notice that all fourof the incorrect answers can be eliminated for their use of "ability of." The correct idiom is "ability to."

But, Option B has an "ability to" present in it.

Are we not removing B because lotus has an ability to keep temperature like humans and other warm-blooded animals do.

It should be "as" rather than a "like" to compare actions.

Kindly correct me if i am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]
Experts... egmat GMATNinja EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep is it correct to eliminate A,C,D solely on the basis I've highlighted below?

A. Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.
C. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures to a narrow range, as humans and other warm-blooded animals can.
D. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperatures to a narrow range, as do humans and other warm-blooded animals.
Must be either plural "lotuses have" or "the lotus has" but NOT "lotus has" without the article. If singular, must be "its temperature" instead of "its temperatures." Also errors in the comparisons "like/as."

B. Researchers report that within a narrow range, the lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperature like humans and other warm-blooded animals do.
"like" used incorrectly to compare actions instead of "as"
"to keep its temperature" is nonsensical, it needs a description like "keep its temperature stable"

E. As humans and other warm-blooded animals can, researchers report that the lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperature in a narrow range.
Correct SV Agreement and use of "as" comparison.
energetics wrote:

A. Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.

energetics
How do "warm-blooded animals" report? "warm-blooded animals" are not human-being. did you notice it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Asad wrote:
energetics wrote:

energetics
How do "warm-blooded animals" report? "warm-blooded animals" are not human-being. did you notice it?

Asad -- you've pointed incorrect reason of the error , I feel you dont understand (the intended meaning of the sentence) and (the error) yourself
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:
Asad wrote:

Could you help me to understand the meaning?
Thanks__

Error in option A is of incorrect modifier and incorrect idiom --researchers need not modify human and animals
(and even if we remove animals ...researchers need not modify humans ..no matter if they have the ability to report)

Intended meaning : researchers report cites a similarity between (ability of human and animals) and (ability of lotus)
gmatns2018
Did you understand what I mean in my previous comment? Did I say anywhere that "x modifies y" or something like that? Better if you explain what I mean in my previous comment, please!

gmatns2018
Like Mr. X and Mr. Y, you will write in gmat club forum.
This will write is not only attributed to "you"; it (will write) is also attributed to Mr X. and Mr. Y
So, will write MUST be matched with Mr. X and Mr. Y, otherwise the sentence will be faulty construction.
Quote:
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that.........

The verb report MUST be matched with "humans and other warm-blooded animals". Do, do you think that the verb report goes with "warm-blooded animals"? Is it possible to report by "warm-blooded animals". How "warm-blooded animals" report in real life?

gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:
Asad wrote:

Could you help me to understand the meaning?
Thanks__

Error in option A is of incorrect modifier and incorrect idiom --researchers need not modify human and animals
(and even if we remove animals ...researchers need not modify humans ..no matter if they have the ability to report)

Intended meaning : researchers report cites a similarity between (ability of human and animals) and (ability of lotus)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:
This will write is not only attributed to "you"; it (will write) is also attributed to Mr X. and Mr. Y
So, will write MUST be matched with Mr. X and Mr. Y, otherwise the sentence will be faulty construction.
The verb report MUST be matched with "humans and other warm-blooded animals". Do, do you think that the verb report goes with "warm-blooded animals"? Is it possible to report by "warm-blooded animals". How "warm-blooded animals" report in real life?

Are you saying sentence is incorrect because Animals do not possess the ability to report ?

As mentioned earlier, you approach to tackle this sentence is incorrect
Yes, Researchers modifying Human and animals is incorrect ...but not for the reason you are assuming
Like X and Y, researchers report that Z has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range. -- here also Researchers modifying X n Y is incorrect ...Intent is to compare X and Y to Z not Researchers ...not Reports .... not X's or Y's ability to report

I hope you understand the flaw in the below sentence:
Like Men and Women, researchers report that mice has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:
--> In this choice, the author mistakenly compare "humans and other warm-blooded animals" with "researchers". So, you can cross it this way.
--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too.

--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too. -- This is INCORRECT "way" :) but whatever floats your boat mate
Now it is your turn to prove that how this way is not the correct way!
gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:
--> In this choice, the author mistakenly compare "humans and other warm-blooded animals" with "researchers". So, you can cross it this way.
--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too.

--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too. -- This is INCORRECT "way" :) but whatever floats your boat mate

gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:

MartyTargetTestPrep
Sir, may I have your opinion here, please?
Thanks__

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 04 Jun 2019, 10:37.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 04 Jun 2019, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:

Are you saying sentence is incorrect because Animals do not possess the ability to report ?

As mentioned earlier, you approach to tackle this sentence is incorrect
Yes, Researchers modifying Human and animals is incorrect ...but not for the reason you are assuming
Like X and Y, researchers report that Z has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range. -- here also Researchers modifying X n Y is incorrect ...Intent is to compare X and Y to Z not Researchers ...not Reports .... not X's or Y's ability to report

Like Men and Women, researchers report that mice has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.

gmatns2018
Do you think that "Men and Women" is compared with "mice"?
Better if you shed more lights on your creative example (the highlighted one).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:

gmatns2018

here Flaw implies Error -- the example sentence is based on the structure of Statement 1

** I am not sure what is happening here but does seem like an ego play from your end ...n I'm ending it here
gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:

gmatns2018

here Flaw implies Error -- the example sentence is based on the structure of Statement 1

** I am not sure what is happening here but does seem like an ego play from your end ...n I'm ending it here

Quote:
Like Men and Women, researchers report that mice has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range

I think, there is NO error/flaw in your creative example, but you said there is a flaw. If you really find any flaw, you should explain because members are noticing here.
According to your previous comment:
If i consider Men as X, Women as Y and mice as Z, the comparison is going be held between "x and y" and "z" (according to your comments). But, my understand says: there is no chance to compare "mice" with "men and women". Correct me please.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts