It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 08:18

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Like many other theropods discovered in the Yixian

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1933 [1], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Like many other theropods discovered in the Yixian [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Are we supposed to know what is theropods or they should make replace lower case t with capital T : Theropods

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1933 [1], given: 229

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 58

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2014, 04:59
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Like many other theropods discovered in the Yixian Formation, a coat of filamentous structures was preserved with the fossil skeleton, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.

(A) a coat of filamentous structures was preserved with the fossil skeleton, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.
(B) the fossil skeleton had been preserved with a coat of filamentous structures, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.
(C) the fossil skeleton was preserved with a coat of filamentous structures commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.
(D) a coat of filamentous structures, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers, had been preserved with the fossil skeleton.
(E) a coat of filamentous structures, commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers, was preserved with the fossil skeleton.

I understand that there are more changes than just the ending, but I am wondering if one is preffered over the other, or are they the same?
I'm talking about B vs C:
structures, which are vs structures commonly recognized
Any ideas?

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 17:12
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 68

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 20:46
ronr34 wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Like many other theropods discovered in the Yixian Formation, a coat of filamentous structures was preserved with the fossil skeleton, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.

(A) a coat of filamentous structures was preserved with the fossil skeleton, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.
(B) the fossil skeleton had been preserved with a coat of filamentous structures, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.
(C) the fossil skeleton was preserved with a coat of filamentous structures commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers.
(D) a coat of filamentous structures, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers, had been preserved with the fossil skeleton.
(E) a coat of filamentous structures, commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers, was preserved with the fossil skeleton.

I understand that there are more changes than just the ending, but I am wondering if one is preffered over the other, or are they the same?
Any ideas?

In OA B "which" is modifying "Structures" whereas, the modifier should actually modify the noun phrase "a coat of filamentous structures". In C this issue is solved. So IMO C is the best answer.

Other than that I think the comparison should have been between the T-Pods and some animal or bird. Here the comparison is between T-Pods and fosssils in OA B & C and between T-Pods and coat of filamentous structure in A,D & E. So that's a bit odd. Any ideas on this ???

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 20:56
siddharthmk wrote:
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect?

E is definitely wrong because of comparison issue. The comparison is of the form " Like X....., Y..... "

Here X = T-Pods

Now in OA A, D & E,
Y = a coat of filamentous structures.

The sentence would now become "Like T-Pods....., a coat of filamentous structures.....". It doesn't make sense !!!

In OA B and C,
Y = fossils

The sentence would now become "Like T-Pods....., fossils.....". This makes partial sense. I say partial because I have a doubt that the comparison should have been between T-Pods and some animal :o .

Option B is out because "Which" modifies "Structures" whereas the modification should be for the noun phrase "A coat of filamentous structure".

Hence the best OA is C.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 998 [0], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2014, 00:40
Yes. C is a error free sentence and the official answer.Not B.Please check.
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:

Any ideas?

In OA B "which" is modifying "Structures" whereas, the modifier should actually modify the noun phrase "a coat of filamentous structures". In C this issue is solved. So IMO C is the best answer.

Other than that I think the comparison should have been between the T-Pods and some animal or bird. Here the comparison is between T-Pods and fosssils in OA B & C and between T-Pods and coat of filamentous structure in A,D & E. So that's a bit odd. Any ideas on this ???

Posted from my mobile device

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Kudos [?]: 998 [0], given: 321

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2015, 01:00

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 41

GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V17
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 13:23
Needed subject the fossiles after the comma.
So we are left with B &C . In B which are recognized is incorrct uses. The verb-ed modifier after the comma cant jump a verb to modify the Noun. So option B is eliminated. Left with C.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 41

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3062 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 01:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer Choice B & D has unauthorized use of had been,C is not correct for altering the meaning of the sentence or simply ambiguous enough.I eliminate answer Choice A for using "which" incorrectly .So the Correct answer is C

(C) the fossil skeleton was preserved with a coat of filamentous structures commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers. CORRECT
(E) a coat of filamentous structures, commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers, was preserved with the fossil skeleton. Meaning error

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3062 [0], given: 220

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 22:24
conmisdosmanos wrote:

1) Use of ,which - INCORRECT - Skeleton is not precursor of feathers, the coat was. Which modifies preceding noun. So, A is out.
2) had been is not needed - Only one past event mentioned and no implication of one past event on another - B, D are out.
3) C and E remain - the coat is correct. A coat is not. Since theropods already discovered the phenomenon, the (specific) should be used.
ANSWER - C.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 48

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1410

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Like many other theropods discovered in the Yixian [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 17:42
since GMAT will not test much about outside knowledge, or in-depth concepts, so this question will hardly appear in the actual test.
Test takers are free to let this question go.
"other theropods" should be compared with skeleton.
"filamentous structures" has something to do with the feathers.

Nevertheless, this question is easy to eliminate wrong answers.
"had been" and passive are two major flaws.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1410

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 07:16

(A) a coat of filamentous structures was preserved with the fossil skeleton, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers. -Incorrect comparison between theropods and a coat of structures
(B) the fossil skeleton had been preserved with a coat of filamentous structures, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers. -usage of past perfect is wrong.
(C) the fossil skeleton was preserved with a coat of filamentous structures commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers. -Correct
(D) a coat of filamentous structures, which are commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers, had been preserved with the fossil skeleton. -Incorrect comparison between theropods and a coat of structures; usage of past perfect if wrong.
(E) a coat of filamentous structures, commonly recognized as the precursors of feathers, was preserved with the fossil skeleton. -Incorrect comparison between theropods and a coat of structures

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 138

Re: Like many other theropods discovered in the Yixian   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 07:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Like many other theropods discovered in the Yixian

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap