Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [34]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Send PM
Re: Like other health care worker, the insurance rates charged dentists [#permalink]
Kudos
kidderek wrote:
amorica wrote:
maybe its just me but.. honestly..

I have no idea what choice 'E' is saying.. =)

I've yet to figure out the meaning of the sentence. It was either poorly written or copied with flaws.

There are no flaws in the copying part, Kidderek. I checked. This question is from the Kaplan 2006 practice tests set.

Here's the OE:
This sentence contains a vague, misleading comparison. The phrase "like other health care workers" is being compared to " the insurance rates charged by dentists". Workers cannot be compared to insurance rates. E corrects the comparison by making it clear that "dentist's insurance rates" are being compared to "those charged other health care workers".

B improves the comparison although the new version is somewhat awkward, but this answer creates a S-V agreement problem. Here the verb "have" no longer agrees with the subject, which has been changed from "insurance rates" to "insurance".

C simply changes "like" to "as" which does not correct the original error. D creates an error by omitting "insurance rates" after dentists.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Send PM
Re: Like other health care worker, the insurance rates charged dentists [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATT73 wrote:
anandsebastin wrote:
Like other health care worker, the insurance rates charged dentists have skyrocketed in recent years.

A. Like other health care worker, the insurance rates charged dentists
B. Like with other health care workers, insurance of dentists
C. As with health care workers, dentists' insurance rates
D. As with the insurance of other health care workers, dentists
E. Like those charged by other health care workers, dentists' insurance rates

Are you sure the original question didn't infix the preposition "by" between "charged and other" as indicated above?

Matt,
I got it wrong from a similar line of reasoning. But, I think E is, indeed, the best choice.

It is not the rates charged *by* other health care workers and dentists that is being compared here; rather it is the insurance (against malpractice suits and the like) *for* health care workers that is being discussed.

The implied meaning is: Like the insurance rates charged for other health care workers, the insurance rates charged for dentists have skyrocketed in recent years.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is a bad problem. The sentence marked 'correct' lacks basic parallelism: If the right side is "dentists' (a possessive) health insurance rates", then the left side should be "those of (also a possessive form) other health care workers".

Inversely, if the left side talks about rates charged to workers, then the right side needs to talk about rates charged to dentists.
You can't have "charged" on one side but a possessive on the other side. That's abject non-parallelism.

Anshul1223333 wrote:
in option D, we have a clause after comma- '', ................. have skyrocketed in recent years.''

This is true of all five choices, not just D.

Quote:
but 'like' is used to compare nouns?

Yes.
The stuff starting with "charged" in E is meant to be a modifier of "those". That modifier—which shouldn't be there in the first place, because it's nonparallel to the other side (see above)—is written really poorly, so I can understand why you've mistaken "charged" for a verb. (A good writer would render this modifier as "charged to [[whoever pays the bill]]".)

Quote:
by the way, what's the intended meaning here? we are comparing insurance rates of two groups ???

Yes. What else could it possibly mean?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
E though wordy looks good. Does the right comparison of rates.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
amorica wrote:

I've yet to figure out the meaning of the sentence. It was either poorly written or copied with flaws.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
anandsebastin wrote:
Like other health care worker, the insurance rates charged dentists have skyrocketed in recent years.

A. Like other health care worker, the insurance rates charged dentists
B. Like with other health care workers, insurance of dentists
C. As with health care workers, dentists' insurance rates
D. As with the insurance of other health care workers, dentists
E. Like those charged by other health care workers, dentists' insurance rates

Are you sure the original question didn't infix the preposition "by" between "charged and other" as indicated above?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
I believe E is the correct answer because C completely leaves out the verb "charged", leaving one to question what is being done with the insurance rates.

C is ambiguous. Who is being charged these insurance rates ?

E clarifies that ambiguity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
E. Like those charged other health care workers, dentists' insurance rates

This sentence lacks one word - "by". Kaplan is known to have somewhat low quality questions. So I would not be too nervous about this one.

Like those charged by other health care workers, dentists' insurance rates - would be much better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
in option D, we have a clause after comma- '', ................. have skyrocketed in recent years.''

by the way, what's the intended meaning here? we are comparing insurance rates of two groups ???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V26
Send PM
"Like those charged other health care workers, dentists' insurance rates"???
Charged with an allegation? Or maybe the healthcare workers were charged upon by someone?
Sounds like nonsense to me honestly.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
RonTargetTestPrep

Had the option E] been:

''Like those of other health care workers, dentists' insurance rates have skyrocketed''

which is similar to the structure below

''Like X, Y have skyrockted''

does it look correct now?

A side question: I see 'Manhatten' prep mocks powered by Kaplan. This is because of the merger I guess.

But before the merger, the Manhatten mocks and Kaplan mocks were separately available. So, the Manhatten mocks are now available in the name of Kaplan mocks? I am just wondering about the availability of those earlier Manhatten mocks

On the same lines, in free trial of TTP, do we get access to TTP mocks?

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
This is a bad problem. The sentence marked 'correct' lacks basic parallelism: If the right side is "dentists' (a possessive) health insurance rates", then the left side should be "those of (also a possessive form) other health care workers".

Inversely, if the left side talks about rates charged to workers, then the right side needs to talk about rates charged to dentists.
You can't have "charged" on one side but a possessive on the other side. That's abject non-parallelism.

Anshul1223333 wrote:

Quote:

Yes.
The stuff starting with "charged" in E is meant to be a modifier of "those". That modifier—which shouldn't be there in the first place, because it's nonparallel to the other side (see above)—is written really poorly, so I can understand why you've mistaken "charged" for a verb. (A good writer would render this modifier as "charged to [[whoever pays the bill]]".)

Quote:

Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
RonTargetTestPrep

Had the option E] been:

''Like those of other health care workers, dentists' insurance rates have skyrocketed''

which is similar to the structure below

''Like X, Y have skyrockted''

does it look correct now?

A side question: I see 'Manhatten' prep mocks powered by Kaplan. This is because of the merger I guess.

But before the merger, the Manhatten mocks and Kaplan mocks were separately available. So, the Manhatten mocks are now available in the name of Kaplan mocks? I am just wondering about the availability of those earlier Manhatten mocks

On the same lines, in free trial of TTP, do we get access to TTP mocks?

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:

Anshul1223333 wrote:

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

That comparison structure looks good to me.

As for MPrep's practice tests, they are the same that they have been (I'm not sure if Kaplan's old practice tests are still available, or where). The 'powered by Kaplan' is purely a branding thing, but has not materially changed any of MPrep's products.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: Like other health care workers, the insurance rates charged [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Like other health care workers, the insurance rates charged [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts