It is currently 22 Jun 2017, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2004, 04:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:18) correct 40% (01:34) wrong based on 1869 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.

(A) the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
(C) that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
(D) in the northeastern United States, sandpipers' vanishing due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
(E) in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers' vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 37
Page: 41
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2004, 08:05
It's b/w A and D
I would take A
We are comparing 2 phenomena:
1- Like the grassy fields and old pastures
2- the sandpipers vanishing
B and C are out
E has incomplete sentence at the end with no verb
D has 2 flaws:
1- it has misplaced modifier problem in that it introduces the location first instead of putting the clause which is supposed to be contrasted to the first phenomenon "Like the grassy fields and old pastures"
2- the "sandpipers' vanishing" makes it that the vanishing is something that belongs to the sandpipers and is incorrect

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2004, 13:12
B is comparing like things:
the grassy fields and old pastures
vs
the bird
It is comparing those 2 things in a metaphorical way I would say
Pretty sure it's B

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2004, 22:42
[color=red]E. is incorrect because it is run-on and mumble jumble.
D. Incorrect use of ….sandpipers’ vanishing is due to …. and to changes in
C. is out for the verb of “thatâ€
VP
VP
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2005, 22:31
B. Comparision using like. like compares nouns.

but chunjuwu brings difficult problems. therefore a second thought should be applied. Could be A.
SVP
SVP
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2005, 22:55
Has to be (B). The other choices all have plual forms for the bird, which is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2005, 04:01
I'd go with (A)

IMO, the two - (i) vanishing grassy fields and pastures and (ii) the sandpipers vanishing are being caused by "residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices."

Therefore, the sentence reads as follows:

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2005, 11:18
I am unable to choose any of the answer choices. This SC seems to be testing the misplaced modifier,

The grassy fields and old pastures of the Argentine pampas is being contrasted with the sandpipers in the first three choice. So aren't A, B and C wrong?

But, choices D and E are no better either, as the grassy fields are now being compared to the Northeastern states. For the record, I will go with D.

Can the SC experts chip in please...
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2005, 17:45
I'm confused on this one. If the answer is B, looks like we are comparing "grassy fields and old pastures" to the "bird" - could anyone explain what I am missing here?

Like X ....., Y is ... X is being compared to Y.
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2005, 10:09
(A) I think the 'sandpipers', having already been mentioned with respect to fields and pastures, needs some qualification as in choice B to make the sentence more clear.
(B) Best Choice
(C) awkward construction
(D & E) Verb 'are' or 'is' is missing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2005, 11:27
I'll be brave and say D.
I'll explain if my conclusion is right.
I'm probably wrong here.
What's the source of this? It's a quite tricky one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2005, 19:27
C - changes 'to' farming pracitces is not idiomatic
D,E - out. begins with the wrong noun

Between A and B,

B would read as:
Like the grassy fields and old pastures, the bird itself is vanishing...

A would read as:
Like the grassy fields and old pastures, the sandpipers vanishing...
A comes across as pretty awkward.

I'll take B.
Manager
Manager
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2005, 13:43
It's from the OG 11th edition diagnostic test

The OE is as follows:

The comparison introduced by like must be logical and clear; the point of this comparison is that both the habitat and the bird are disappearing for similar reasons. The comparison must use comparable grammatical components; the bird itself is a noun and matches the noun phrases grassy fields and old pastures.

B - This sentence properly compares the bird itself to grassy fields and old pastures; is vanishing as the verb strenghtens the sentence by making the comparison clearer.
Intern
Intern
Re: SC: Sandpiper [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2006, 11:38
This is in fact a tough one.
'Like' in the beginning of the sentence tells me that this is a 'Comparison' type question. It is comparing the grassy fields and old pastures in the Argentine Pampas with the one in the northern United States. So I eliminated A,B,C.
In E, changing in farming practices..does not sound right.
Therefore we are left with D.
I will go with D.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2006, 12:02
This is in fact a tough one.
'Like' in the beginning of the sentence tells me that this is a 'Comparison' type question. It is comparing the grassy fields and old pastures in the Argentine Pampas with the one in the northern United States. So I eliminated A,B,C.
In E, changing in farming practices..does not sound right.
Therefore we are left with D.
I will go with D.
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2006, 20:54
Damn, its really a tough one..
I am inclined towards E..
Like grassy fields......north Eastern US...

Though the sentence sounds awkward, but only North eastern US can be compared to the grassy fields..
OA plz?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2006, 09:14
vivek123 wrote:
Probably a tougher one...

Like the grassy fields and old pastures that the upland sandpiper needs for feeding and nesting when it returns in May after wintering in the Argentine Pampas, the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices

(A) the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is a result of a residential and industrial development and of changes in
(B) the bird itself is vanishing in the northeastern United States as a result of residential and industrial development and of changes in
(C) that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United states is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
(D) in the northeastern United States, sandpipers’ vanishing due to residential and industrial development and to changes in
(E) in the northeastern United States, the sandpipers’ vanishing, a result of residential and industrial development and changing

this is a faculty comparison question

you can't compare fields to birds so A B and C are out. D and E compares fields to northeaster United States, so let's start there.

for D Sandpipers' vanishing due to............. needs to be Sandpipers are vanishing due to

So go with E
Manager
Manager
Option B for me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2006, 22:26
Hey Princeofshanghai,

In this case you are not comparing fields with birds but the vanishing of the two. Hence they can be compared.

e.g. Like my dog, Sourav Ganguly goes astray when not kept on leash. This is not faulty comparison. Faulty comparison is when you compare 2 unlike things. e.g. My house is more expensive than Sourav.
Now I am comparing price to a person hence is wrong.
SVP
SVP
Re: Option B for me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2006, 05:56
princeofshanghai wrote:
mbadownunder wrote:
Hey Princeofshanghai,

In this case you are not comparing fields with birds but the vanishing of the two. Hence they can be compared.

e.g. Like my dog, Sourav Ganguly goes astray when not kept on leash. This is not faulty comparison. Faulty comparison is when you compare 2 unlike things. e.g. My house is more expensive than Sourav.
Now I am comparing price to a person hence is wrong.

how so are they comparing the vanishing of the two???? the first part of the sentence doesn't say anything about the fields vanishing.

am I reading this wrong????

I think this is called ellipses, where part is assumed.
Both examples below are correct,
1) "Dolphins make sound like humans".
2) "Dolphins make sound as humans do".
Director
Director
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2006, 07:10
Learn wrote:
Its B

Like needs comparision btw 2 nouns. Thats only in A/B

A slightly changes the meaning.

^ B ^

A does not change the meaning but it does not have the right verb. ü

"the sandpipers vanishing in the northeastern United States is "

we need a plural verb " are" for sandpipers.
  [#permalink] 19 Jun 2006, 07:10

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 39 posts ]