Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [11]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Send PM
Re: Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather [#permalink]
straight D...right comparison between navigators and astronomers.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather [#permalink]
Expert Reply
D - right comparison. like [the great navigators], [astronomers]
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [4]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather [#permalink]
Kudos
Sorry for being late, but aren't the commas missing in option D. Without commas, it seems that the "earth was gathering information".
I don't think that there is anything wrong with E.
Verbal experts please comment on this.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Okay.
So among the poor choices, choose less poor.
Btw Daagh, can you please provide me a link on all types of modifiers with examples. I can understand now that meaning issue in GMAT can be subsidized by understanding modifiers thoroughly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [4]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi All,

Adding the explanation as provided by egmat.

Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth gathering information about its size
and the curvature of its surface, astronomers have made new observations that show with
startling directness the large-scale geometry of the universe. (Choice D)
After reading this one, almost all of you will say that “gathering” is a verb-ing modifier that is
placed after “Earth” and is not preceded by a comma. Hence, it must modify “Earth”. This
modification makes no sense because Earth dis not gather information. The great navigators did.
This sentence is incorrect. BUT IN REALITY, this sentence is absolutely correct. Here is why.
Structurally, “who first sailed around the Earth” is a clause. Here “who” stands for “the great
navigators”. Now together “the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth” is a big noun
phrase (refer to the mini article on noun phrases and Noun modifiers).
Many of you may argue that this entity contains a “who clause”. How can we classify as a noun
phrase. We can classify this as a noun phrase since it has a noun at its head. It is of the
construction – Noun + Clause.
The head of this big noun phrase is “the great investigators”. Now the “who” clause that
modifies “the great investigators” cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence. This gives
“gathering”, a noun modifier, the liberty to jump over the preceding modifier and modify the
head – “the great investigators”. Hence, “gathering” in this sentence is correctly modifying “the
great investigators”.
Furthermore, logically “earth” cannot gather information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi guys, I chose A in this question...Is there anyone can explain why you guys did not choose A?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather information about its size and curvature of its surface, new observations have been made by astronomers that show with startling directness the large-scale geometry of the universe.

Right comparison -- like the navigators, astonomers

(A) Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather information about its size and curvature of its surface, new observations have been made by astronomers

(B) Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth for gathering information about its size and also the curvature of its surface, new observations have been made by astronomers
(C) Similar to the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, where they gathered information about its size and the curvature of its surface, astronomers have made new observations
(D) Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth gathering information about its size and the curvature of its surface, astronomers have made new observations
(E) Just as with the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, gathering information about its size and curvature of the surface, astronomers have made new observations
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [4]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here the comparison is made between Navigators and Astronomers ( Note the comparison is made between 2 nouns and not on their respective actions)

Hence It is preferred to use Like X <>, <Y>

Just by this rule, we can eliminate A,B,C and E

Moreover

Just as X, So Y is the correct Idiom E is out
B and A use wrong comparisons between navigators and observations

Choice C use of relative pronoun 'where' to refer to Earth makes no sense besides Similar does not work in the expression:

Similar to John, Mary enjoys running.
Like John, Mary enjoys running.

Grammatically, this is because similar is an adjective used to describe a noun. Like is a preposition, used to compare nouns.
Hence D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vd wrote:
Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather information about its size and curvature of its surface, new observations have been made by astronomers that show with startling directness the large-scale geometry of the universe.

(A) Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, to gather information about its size and curvature of its surface, new observations have been made by astronomers
(B) Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth for gathering information about its size and also the curvature of its surface, new observations have been made by astronomers
(C) Similar to the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, where they gathered information about its size and the curvature of its surface, astronomers have made new observations
(D) Like the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth gathering information about its size and the curvature of its surface, astronomers have made new observations
(E) Just as with the great navigators who first sailed around the Earth, gathering information about its size and curvature of the surface, astronomers have made new observations

"like " in choice d is a preposition and is used to show that the 2 subjects do the same action.
"similar to" is an adjective. adjactive phrase at the begining of a sentence can work as an adverb for the whole sentence .
aware of you, I dont want to go with you
adjective phrase at the beginning of the sentence work ad adverb and show a cause of the main sentence. so, clearly , "similar to" can not logically show a cause of the main clause.

the serious problem with choice C is " comma+where " . comma+which clause show a characteristic of the preceding noun. comma+where show a characteristic of the earth. one of characteristics of the earth is that some persons gather information on it. this is not logical meaning. the logical meaning is that some persons go around the earth , gathering information

wo, it is hard to realize the meaning error because we need to properly understand the meaning of the sentence.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 04 Sep 2017, 01:08.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 09 Apr 2021, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja - how would you eliminate C and eliminate E in this case ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi GMATGuruNY - i thought D was wrong because gathering (verb'ing) is modifying Earth and Earth by itself cannot be gathering information about its size and the curvature of its surface

Where is the gap in the logic ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos