It is currently 25 Jun 2017, 14:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Line l lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Line l lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 05:42
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:44) correct 53% (01:03) wrong based on 60 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Line \(\ell\) lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What is the slope of line \(\ell\) ?

(1) The x-intercept of line \(\ell\) is twice the y-intercept of line \(\ell\)
(2) The x-and y-intercepts of line \(\ell\) are both positive
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
G
Re: Line l lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
Line \(\ell\) lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What is the slope of line \(\ell\) ?

Target question: What is the slope of line l?

Statement 1: The x-intercept of line \(\ell\) is twice the y-intercept of line l
Let k = the y-intercept of line l
This means 2k = the x-intercept of line l
If the y-intercept is k, then line l passes through the y-axis at the point (0, k)
If the x-intercept is 2k, then line l passes through the x-axis at the point (2k, 0)
Since (0, k) and (2k, 0) are both points on line l, we can apply the slope formula to these points to find the slope of line l.
We get: slope = (k - 0)/(0 - 2k) = k/(-2k) = -1/2
So, the slope of line l = -1/2
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The x-and y-intercepts of line l are both positive
If we're able to imagine different lines (with DIFFERENT SLOPES) that satisfy this condition, we'll quickly see that statement 2 is not sufficient. However, if we don't automatically see this, we can take the following approach...
There are many different cases that satisfy statement 2 yet yield different answers to the target question. Here are two:
Case a: the x-intercept is 1 and the y-intercept is 1, which means line l passes through (1, 0) and (0, 1). Applying the slope formula, we get: slope = (0 - 1)/(1 - 0) = -1
Case b: the x-intercept is 2 and the y-intercept is 1, which means line l passes through (2, 0) and (0, 1). Applying the slope formula, we get: slope = (0 - 1)/(2 - 0) = -1/2
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

RELATED VIDEOS

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Line l lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 13:17
AbdurRakib wrote:

When I see something like this, I just start drawing. For me, it's easier to look at the slopes and compare them, versus trying to understand the slopes based on numbers and equations.

For statement 1, draw a couple of lines that have an x-intercept twice the y-intercept. Don't forget negatives (for instance, x-intercept of -2 and y-intercept of -1). You should notice that all of the slopes of these lines are equal.

Note that this is an example of a DS problem with a 'nice but not necessary' statement. Be very careful to analyze the statements each on their own before putting them together. It's nice to know that the slopes are both positive (statement 2), because it gives you a clearer picture of what's going on. But critically, it's not necessary to know that. You can answer the question even without it.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

Did you like this post? Check out my upcoming GMAT classes and private tutoring!

Manhattan Prep GMAT Discount | Manhattan Prep GMAT Reviews

VP
VP
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 20:49
Dear ccooley and Brent,

I have a question. You both consider the slop is negative., while it could be positive too. For example, the line could intersect the 'y' in point (0,1) and 'x' in point (-2,0). This line satisfies the condition too. What did not you take it into consideration?

Thanks
Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 21:34
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
Dear ccooley and Brent,

I have a question. You both consider the slop is negative., while it could be positive too. For example, the line could intersect the 'y' in point (0,1) and 'x' in point (-2,0). This line satisfies the condition too. What did not you take it into consideration?

Thanks

In your example, the x-intercept is -2 and the y-intercept is 1

However, statement 1 says that the x-intercept twice the y-intercept.
-2 is not twice 1

Cheers,
Brent

VP
VP
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 01:54
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Dear ccooley and Brent,

Thanks

In your example, the x-intercept is -2 and the y-intercept is 1

However, statement 1 says that the x-intercept twice the y-intercept.
-2 is not twice 1

Cheers,
Brent

Thanks Brent. What I understand from Fact 1 is the that 'twice' means x-intercept 'double' the y-intercept regardless of any sign. It treated the intercept as distance from zero to the intercept regardless the sign. Where is the problem in my understanding?

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
B
Line l lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 04:35
AbdurRakib wrote:

This question requires no pen to paper. From 1 we know that slope is .5 regardless of the signs of the x and y-intercepts (2). 2 is basically irrelevant and insufficient without knowing the values. Hence A, 1 alone is sufficient.

Last edited by rulingbear on 22 Jun 2017, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 06:11
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
Thanks Brent. What I understand from Fact 1 is the that 'twice' means x-intercept 'double' the y-intercept regardless of any sign. It treated the intercept as distance from zero to the intercept regardless the sign. Where is the problem in my understanding?

Thanks in advance

I think you might be confusing the x- and y-intercepts with the DISTANCE from the origin.
An x-intercept of -2 is 2 units away from the origin (0,0) and a y-intercept of 1 is 1 units away from the origin.

Cheers,
Brent

VP
VP
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 15:39
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

Thanks in advance

I think you might be confusing the x- and y-intercepts with the DISTANCE from the origin.
An x-intercept of -2 is 2 units away from the origin (0,0) and a y-intercept of 1 is 1 units away from the origin.

Cheers,
Brent

Yes, it really was my understanding.

Thanks for your support
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 03:47
y=ax+ b
x intercept mean y=0
x= -b/a
y intercept mean x=0
y =b
I have no
-b/a=2b

we can infer a, which is slope

dont draw anything.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Re: Line l lies in the xy-plane and does not pass through the origin. What   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2017, 03:47