GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

List P contains m numbers; list Q contains n numbers. If th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GPA: 3.15
List P contains m numbers; list Q contains n numbers. If th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 18:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:57) correct 46% (01:44) wrong based on 466 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

List P contains m numbers; list Q contains n numbers. If the two lists are combined to produce list R, containing m + n numbers, is the median of list R greater than the median of list P ?

(1) The smallest number in list Q is greater than the largest number in list P.

(2) m = n

Need some help; see spoiler below.
I got this questions wrong since it was not defined that the any of the numbers are positive, i.e. if the set of n number are negative, then m+n < m, therefore the median of list R is less than the median of list P. However, it if is positive, then median of list R is greater than the median of list P.

Is the word number stating that it is the set of natural numbers?

I picked E

Source MGMAT CAT.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jul 2014, 07:38
wunsun wrote:
List P contains m numbers; list Q contains n numbers. If the two lists are combined to produce list R, containing m + n numbers, is the median of list R greater than the median of list P ?

(2) m = n

Need some help; see spoiler below.
I got this questions wrong since it was not defined that the any of the numbers are positive, i.e. if the set of n number are negative, then m+n < m, therefore the median of list R is less than the median of list P. However, it if is positive, then median of list R is greater than the median of list P.

Is the word number stating that it is the set of natural numbers?

I picked E

Source MGMAT CAT.

First, median is the middle number of the set of numbers.

Now, statement (1) says that the smallest number of Q is greater than the largest of P.

There are three possibilities here:
(i) - if m>n then the median will come from the list P as all the n numbers will be greater than the median. It seems that the median would be greater than the median of P but there is the trick (which got me too). What if P consist of all equal numbers? then the median is equal to the median of P.

(ii)- if m>n then the median will come from the list Q and would be greater than the median of P.

(iii) - if m = n then the median will be the average of P's largest number and Q's smallest number. Which would be greater than the median of P (even if P has all equal numbers).

So from statement (1) we can get median equal to P or greater than P. Insuff.

statement (2) tells us m=n. doesn't tell us what numbers P and Q holds. Insuff.

Combining the two: m=n is third scenario discussed in statement (1). i.e. we know that the average of P's largest number and Q's smallest number. Which is greater than the median of P. Suff.

Pressing +1 costs nothing :wink:

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Originally posted by sameer_kalra on 13 Jul 2014, 06:41.
Last edited by sameer_kalra on 13 Jul 2014, 07:38, edited 3 times in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: LBS '16, ISB '15
GMAT 1: 530 Q38 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Re: List P contains m numbers; list Q contains n numbers. If th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 00:26
I got 1 example for C...

1 and 2 are both insufficient on its own.

4>3 (as per point 1)
lets assume m=n=3
P(1,2,3) and Q(4,5,6)

Then median of R (1,2,3,4,5,6) = 3.5 > median of P which is 2.
Now expanding that to a larger subset, if smallest digit of Q is always > largest digit of P

This means First digit of Q is > Last digit of P (arrange in ascending order for getting your median).
I think it holds true, with random numbers...

Hope this helps.

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 06:31
Bunuel,please help.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 07:26
Quote:
statement (2) tells us m>n. doesn't tell us what numbers P and Q holds. Insuff.

statement 2 is m=n.
Great catch on the numbers being equal.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 07:36
peacewarriors wrote:
Quote:
statement (2) tells us m>n. doesn't tell us what numbers P and Q holds. Insuff.

statement 2 is m=n.
Great catch on the numbers being equal.

sorry for missing that. post edited.

Hope i helped.

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 09:13
Quote:

(2) m = n

Need some help. How do we know whether to take positive number or negative number or odd or even. Because if m/n is odd/even, then the median can change between integer and non integer.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 05:23
sameer_kalra wrote:

First, median is the middle number of the set of numbers.

Now, statement (1) says that the smallest number of Q is greater than the largest of P.

There are three possibilities here:
(i) - if m>n then the median will come from the list P as all the n numbers will be greater than the median. It seems that the median would be greater than the median of P but there is the trick (which got me too). What if P consist of all equal numbers? then the median is equal to the median of P.

(ii)- if m>n then the median will come from the list Q and would be greater than the median of P.

For (i) - if m>n, from Sameer's post

we can also have P =(1,2,3,4,5,6,7) and Q = (9,10)..even in this case the median is from P.
In this case the elements of P are all not the same.

(ii) from from Sameer's post must be m < n... in case Q has more number of terms such that "The smallest number in list Q is greater than the largest number in list P", then
the median will be from Q.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 05:31
Mechmeera wrote:
Quote:

(2) m = n

Need some help. How do we know whether to take positive number or negative number or odd or even. Because if m/n is odd/even, then the median can change between integer and non integer.

m and n can be anything - odd/even...

if m is odd, but the terms are 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 -> the median would be a non-integer
if m is odd, but the terms are 1, 1, 1 -> the median would be an integer

if m is even and the terms are 1,2,2,4.. the median can still be an integer.
if m is even and the terms are 1,2,3,4.. the median will be a non-integer.

the value of median would depend on the value of elements and not the number of elements
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 05:37
we have a takeaway from this question...

we can use the options presented in the DS question to our advantage. In this question, statement 2 says number of terms are same.

We should take this as a hint while examining statement 1. We have to ask ourselves whether we have considered the scenario where m = n, m > n etc

I did not follow this...got the wrong answer!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 08:26
Success2015 wrote:
we have a takeaway from this question...

we can use the options presented in the DS question to our advantage. In this question, statement 2 says number of terms are same.

We should take this as a hint while examining statement 1. We have to ask ourselves whether we have considered the scenario where m = n, m > n etc

I did not follow this...got the wrong answer!

Experts posts will be appreciated in this
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 09:13
Nez wrote:
]

Experts posts will be appreciated in this

This is a great question to understand how you can play around with the information given in the DS question. You are given 2 sets with m and n elements each. nowhere it is mentioned whether m=n or whether you can have same elements in any given set. You can thus use these things to your advantage. Additionally, statement 2 should give you that bit of clue.

The question wants to know whether the median of R is > median of P. Start by analyzing the 2 statements.

Per statement 1, P={1}, Q = {2,3}, R={1,2,3} will give you a "yes" for the question asked but with P={1,1,1}, Q = {2,3}, R={1,1,1,2,3} will give you a "no" for the question asked. This statement is thus not sufficient.

Per statement 2, m=n, again P={1,1}, Q = {2,3}, R={1,1,2,3} will give you a "yes" for the question asked but with P={10,10}, Q = {2,3}, R={2,3,10,10} will give you a "no" for the question asked. This statement is thus not sufficient.

Combining, you get that the min element of Q > max. element of P and m=n, giving you in all possibilities that the median of R > median of P. C is thus the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 20:49
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: List P contains m numbers; list Q contains n numbers. If th &nbs [#permalink] 16 Mar 2018, 20:49

List P contains m numbers; list Q contains n numbers. If th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap