Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink]
anner wrote:
I must admit that at the time, I didn't understand why you felt so discouraged about this additional interview - I thought it was a great that they were taking so much interest in you. However, now I fully grasp the insecurity and anxiety that you must have also felt. I'm trying my best to relax (since I have exams and my thesis to worry about) and take it for what it is - I'll try my best on the follow-up but if it doesn't get me in, there's not much I can do.
Also, I'm really happy for you that you were accepted :)

Hey anner,

I can totally understand your situation. Its easier said than done, but the only thing you should do now is to think positive and look forward. You have a great profile and you should back your abilities to get through with an admit. It's still an opportunity and if it helps you could find solace in not being in a pretty bad state as mine. :)

All the very best for your interview and keep us posted on how it goes!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sgrssr wrote:
kitsune wrote:
@sgrssr,
As with regards to the wait list, the mail says that my application would be reviewed on June 2nd. That's quite a long wait but the best part is that this date could be pushed back further. As of now, there is nothing to be optimistic about given that I have applied only to LBS this year.

But hey, I need to mention that this thread has been an amazing place for support & guidance and has helped me stay motivated in times of distress. You guys have been really amazing and I am truly happy for all of you. :) For those who are still confused between LBS and other schools, I hope you take the right decision by getting into the LBS :wink: You would certainly not want to miss this opportunity. Wishing you the very best in your lives at London!!

GOOD LUCK! I'm sure that you still have a high chance of getting accepted from the WL if you take the initiative to show how much you want to go to the school. That's what I did when I applied for college and I ended up getting into the college that I'm in now from the WL. So don't give up and I sincerely wish you all the best :-D :-D :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Sgrssr,

Thank you very much for your encouragement. I just hate being in this purgatory and having to continue waiting!

I think that you should stay positive as well - You have a strong profile and the fact that you were waitlisted rather than flat-out rejected must mean something. I believe there is a good chance for those on the waitlist to secure a spot. Many students apply to multiple programs and some will inevitably turn down LBS for another a program they find more suitable for them. Please do let me know how it goes for you as well. :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:LBS
 Q46  V34
Send PM
@lsl2125,

Just my two cents. I have no idea of someone who has done a MiM and then a MBA, as the MiM is new. But I guess it is best not to think about a MBA right now... I would not see the point of doing a MiM now and then in 3 years a MBA. I am reading the MiM in order to get a job which is currently inaccesible to me! But your aims might be others. I might undertake a MBA in 7-8years time... it depends on my job / goals by then!

@anner,

C'mon! Yes YOU can! ;) Just try to keep motivated and transmit it to the interviewer! :) When is your follow-up interview? Best of luck, as always! :) 日本語を話すのために誰かがLBSに会いたい! :)
Btw, I'm not a quadrulingual!!! I just speak fluent Spanish and English... and I am almost fluent in French. There is a LONG way to go for the Japanese! :)

@sgrssr,

First of all, thanks mate! :D Regarding the WL, I was told by the Dean of Studies that WL means: "Your profile is great, we love it. But there is already someone with the same profile and we would prefer someone with a different background, nationality, career goals, etc. So, if we do not get someone outstanding and different, then you would get the offer". Or something like that. I guess that means that if you would have applied in R1, you would have got an offer? We will never know :( Best of luck!!! :) You cannot apply next year, do you? You would have more than 1 year WE? Are you working right now? Then you might consider working 4-5 years and then applying for a MBA! :) By the way, why didn't you apply to more schools?
It is really nice what you have said... but you should have discouraged everyone to accept their offers so you would get one! lol! :wink: Hopefully you will eventually get in! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kitsune wrote:
@sgrssr,

First of all, thanks mate! :D Regarding the WL, I was told by the Dean of Studies that WL means: "Your profile is great, we love it. But there is already someone with the same profile and we would prefer someone with a different background, nationality, career goals, etc. So, if we do not get someone outstanding and different, then you would get the offer". Or something like that. I guess that means that if you would have applied in R1, you would have got an offer? We will never know :( Best of luck!!! :) You cannot apply next year, do you? You would have more than 1 year WE? Are you working right now? Then you might consider working 4-5 years and then applying for a MBA! :) By the way, why didn't you apply to more schools?
It is really nice what you have said... but you should have discouraged everyone to accept their offers so you would get one! lol! :wink: Hopefully you will eventually get in! :)

Thanks for the update man. Its interesting to speculate on what would have happened had I applied earlier, but I guess its best to leave it here to get some peace of mind :)

As far as the reason for why I applied only to LBS, I felt (and still feel) that only MiM course at LBS satisfied my needs. Initially I intended to apply to Msc courses at LSE & HEC Paris but somehow on closer analysis I felt it was the not the right fit for me. Obviously, there was no point doing the masters just for the sake of the degree without it helping you get to the next level in your professional career.

With regards to the options that I have presently, I have an offer from one of the BIG4 firms in their advisory services to join as an Associate Consultant. It is a pretty good option given that I want to start my career in consulting and I am quite tempted to take up the offer. But then I guess my mind is too cluttered right now and I want to take some time off before I take any decision. :)

@anner, @lsl2125 : Thank you for your wishes. Reiterates the greatness of this forum/thread/users. Frankly, I have never seen any online forum which has been so helpful & kind as this has been. Simply awesome :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stay hopeful and don't take it personally. I know being on the WL is a sticky situation but you all are strong candidates who just need a bit of luck :)

@ kitsune
you brought up some pretty good points and I do agree that it seems a bit pointless to go for a MBA 2-3 years after getting a MiM. I guess I need to think more seriously about which route I'd like to take.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
@sgrssr,

Well, if you have this amazing offer, I would go for it! It is in the field you would like to pursue your career in? Financial advisory or management/strategy consulting? You can work for 4-5years and then go to LBS for a MBA! :D I mean, the MiM would be a great experience, but you would eventually start with the same job you already have secured, wouldn't you? Anyway, just relax now :) Keep your mind off this stuff for a couple of days! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sgrssr,
I COMPLETELY agree with Kitsune- I think you should take that offer! This program is a good stepping stone to that first amazing job, but it isn't intended to be a substitute for the MBA . You would still start off at an entry-level analyst position. I for one know that I'm not competitive enough to land a job like that in Canada/US with only a science+econ undergraduate degree under my belt, which is why I want to pursue a masters to increase my employability. Unlike you, I don't have as much of a choice.

A masters is great asset, but I would have to argue that having outstanding work experience in your desired field is just as important (if not more - the Big Four name will take you far).

You've already gotten your first foot in the door, so I think you should take advantage of this opportunity. In my honest opinion, I think you should just work for a few years, and go for your MBA after at LBS. They may even sponsor your MBA if you progress naturally through their advancement hierchy which is a HUGE bonus (think about how much money you can save from your MBA tuition :shock: )

Congratulations on the job offer!!! You have NOTHING to worry about! :wink:

kitsune wrote:
@sgrssr,

Well, if you have this amazing offer, I would go for it! It is in the field you would like to pursue your career in? Financial advisory or management/strategy consulting? You can work for 4-5years and then go to LBS for a MBA! :D I mean, the MiM would be a great experience, but you would eventually start with the same job you already have secured, wouldn't you? Anyway, just relax now :) Keep your mind off this stuff for a couple of days! :)
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
@sgrssr,

I COMPLETELY agree with anner! lol! I cannot have that kind of job right now, that is the reason I want to take the MiM, in order to be able to get what you already have! So just learn A LOT from that amazing work and then pursue a MBA! :) I envy you! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@sgrssr

I can imagine what you are going through (have been in a similar situation!). Can just say , take up the Pwc offer (m i guessing right ?) for now and Lets hope for the best !. Sincerely wish that it all materializes and u join us !.

@anner

Just relax :) . KAS has been in that situation and we have every reason to believe that u ll make it too :) . ATB and keep us posted !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@kitsune and lsl2125.

My 2 cents on the MiM vs MBA debate..

Apart from the business fundamentals , people usually go for an MBA to Network and Switch careers.With MiM giving us a head start into the career of our choice i am sure most of will never need to do another post grad.Of all the points discussed above we seem to have missed out on the fact that once a graduate from LBS u have lifelong access to their career services !They have an internal job portal which is accessible to all alumni and which has postings for people at all stages of their career. Also , we will be a part of a 30,000 strong LBS community and i am sure our contacts ,performance and the LBS Brand will hold us in good stead in our future career.

Last but not the least, should any of us decide to switch AGAIN and go for an MBA , i don't see a reason why MiM will be a hurdle (I have seen people do 2 MBA's in life for various reasons).In a nutshell , if u r happy with your career progression (have a job and enjoying it !) then MBA may be the right thing for u. But if u looking for that big break in a top firm or wish to switch your career early on (the case with me --I currently work for Oracle R & D , but i feel consulting is where i really belong !) , MiM is the way to go !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@YogoTiger

I second Kitsune.The figure of 71000 USD is for LSE's 2 year MSc in Management and Strategy program (with the CEMS option) and 3 years down the line after graduation.

I am sure LBS MiM when 3 years older will be right on the top.For me , MiM is less about the salary figures , but having the opportunity to involve in exciting work of my choice over the next few years.Money will come , it always does.

@lsl2125

" b/c many alum felt unsure about the MiM program and hesitated to volunteer as interviewers"

That's kinda surprising !. My interviewer is a headhunter for EZI (World's No.1 Senior Executive Search firm) and he was very positive and upbeat about the program.Others ( including Guillaum Verdier) have also consulted with very senior executives and headhunters and all have given their thumbs up to the program.So i guess there is nothing to worry about. With time the reputation and recognition for early stage MiM degrees is only destined to grow !Cheers !

Originally posted by Voodoo on 03 Apr 2010, 23:17.
Last edited by Voodoo on 05 Apr 2010, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
So now that everyone from R3 is no longer an applicant has anyone joined the Facebook group? I haven't, but if anyone wants to connect on Facebook I can be found by searching for Kimberly Soucy. If you filter by Boston, MA I'm pretty sure I'm the only one ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Kitsune ..

Acknowledged :) . I just checked ,the duration of the program is stated to be 12 months and hence it is the 1 year MSc in Management & Strategy at LSE.

Plus as far as "I would have gone to HEC (if accepted!) because of the brand name." is concerned , i am not really sure as to if/how HEC enjoys a better reputation than LBS !! ? :O or does it ?.

I talked to many Indian students from HEC (though all of them MBA's) and they felt it was a bit over rated , and their rankings could be attributed more to their marketing than real substance.

For me , HEC was always a backup. Also , after the kind of experience i had at my HEC interview , i wasn't really keen on HEC by any means. I have good admits from US ( Carnegie Mellon et all) , but then LBS is where i really belong and will be heading to :)

I am really excited to meet ya all !! Cheers !
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
@KAS1986,

I am in the Mim@LBS group/fan page. Anyway, I sent you a message! :) As far as I know, we would be able to contact everyone accepted in the programme once we receive the data to log in the portal.

@Voodoo,

I did not express myself correctly. I meant that HEC was my 2nd option! But my backup was SSE :) (it's nice, it's Sweden and it's free!) But well, we do not have to think about this anymore! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink]
After thinking about my offers, I've also decided to take LBS. I'm so excited to go to London and meet you all! :-D

Originally posted by Yogotiger on 05 Apr 2010, 10:51.
Last edited by Yogotiger on 27 Jul 2015, 09:01, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:LBS MiM
Send PM
Hi again guys! Congrats to those who got an offer from LBS!
I am a MiM2010 (right now enjoying spring break - summer term starts next week) and if you have any questions, please post them here and I'll try to answer them regularly.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  24   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts