Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Low accuracy in first 10 Questions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi arijit2,

Last December, you posted that you were scoring in the low-500s on your CATs. If you're still scoring in the 500s now (about 1 year later), then it's likely that you've gotten 'stuck' at this score level and you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied consistently over the last year? Have you taken any 'time off' during your studies?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
4) Is your goal score still 700+?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi arijit2,

Last December, you posted that you were scoring in the low-500s on your CATs. If you're still scoring in the 500s now (about 1 year later), then it's likely that you've gotten 'stuck' at this score level and you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied consistently over the last year? Have you taken any 'time off' during your studies?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
4) Is your goal score still 700+?

Rich

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

To answer your questions:

1) I have not studied the past year since my GMAT Plans got postponed. I re-started preparations around 1.5 months back.
2) I have used the Kaplan Books, Princeton Review Books and now started solving OG as of 2 days back.
3) I had taken a mock a couple of weeks back and scored 610 (V:34,Q:41) - GMAT Prep Software Exam 1. Now I took a mock last week and scored 560 (V:27, Q:39) - GMAT Prep Software Exam 2 .
4) Even though I still desire that score, Unfortunately a more realistic score I am looking at is to touch 650 now.

Comparing the 2 tests, I have also realized that my overall number of incorrect questions has dropped in Both Quants and Verbal, but since my Score has also dropped - it only means that my accuracy in the first 10 questions matters a lot which has decreased.

I'm due for my exam in 1.5 weeks. For now, I am trying to focus on OG (2015 Version) and aim is to complete it before the test. I have the GMAT Club Tests as well but I'm not sure if I will be able to start/complete that due to lack of time. I also plan to take a free Manhattan or Veritas Mock by this week to give myself 1 week time before my D-Day. Since most of the R2 Deadlines are Jan 1st week - this is the only option I can give myself even little time to prepare for my applications during the 2nd half of December (Haven't started that). Postponing my exam/admissions to next year is not an option as well as I've quit my job just for this purpose. (Yes I know I could have planned better, but I guess it is what it is now)

There are a very few schools whose deadlines go upto Feb 1st as well, so I can postpone the GMAT by a month but in that case I will miss out on most of the good schools and again struggle to complete my applications due to shortage of time. I am also considering schools for Spring intake but post MBA Job/Internship prospects are making me doubt my thoughts.

I would sincerely love to have your honest advice on how I can even attempt to clear up this mess :(
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
arijit - I am sorry for the situation you are in (low GMAT score, deadlines looming). Having said that, what you need is focus. Study well for the GMAT first and then worry about applications.

To ace the GMAT, you need to learn the right methods. Simply practicing questions will not help you get there. Take a look at some of the methods taught in our free trial. Write to me if you find the methods useful and we will help create a plan for you.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
egmat wrote:
arijit - I am sorry for the situation you are in (low GMAT score, deadlines looming). Having said that, what you need is focus. Study well for the GMAT first and then worry about applications.

To ace the GMAT, you need to learn the right methods. Simply practicing questions will not help you get there. Take a look at some of the methods taught in our free trial. Write to me if you find the methods useful and we will help create a plan for you.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Hi Rajat,

Thanks for your concern. Yes I guess that's a good point you mentioned of focusing on GMAT over Applications. For now, I shall try implementing this rule.

I've actually subscribed to e-GMAT Complete Pack multiple times in the past (Now Expired). Made paid extensions one after the other as well. Completed the courses more than 2 times completely.
I'm not saying that e-GMAT didn't help me. In fact till today, For Verbal - I use only the notes that I have made out of your Verbal concepts. I must say your content is pretty amazing and helped me identify certain points which I never would have learnt otherwise. Eg: "due to-because of" interchangeability. But having said that, this has not helped me improve my score unfortunately. I'm sure the problem might be at my end where I'm doing something drastically wrong and unable to find what that might be. Thus need to really modify my approach 180 degrees but just don't have the time for it and nor the risk capacity to extend another year. This leaves me in a terrible fix :(

-Arijit
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi arijit2,

There's a significant difference between a V34 and a V27, so the question is whether you 'got lucky' on that first score or had a 'bad day' on the second score - and in that same way, raising a 610 to a 650+ is far easier than raising a 560 to a 650+. With just 1.5 weeks to go, it's difficult to define exactly what you need to focus on in the Verbal section. That having been said, what you would need to work on in the Quant section IS definable. With a Q41/Q39, you're making lots of little mistakes as you work through the Quant section AND you're missing out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. If you've taken either of these CATs before, then your score results are likely 'inflated.'

All things considered, I suggest that you push back your Test Date. You could still potentially apply for Round 2 - and if you don't score in the 'competitive range' for the Schools that you're interested in, you would still have time to continue studying, work on your applications and apply for Round 3.

Rich
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi arijit2,

There's a significant difference between a V34 and a V27, so the question is whether you 'got lucky' on that first score or had a 'bad day' on the second score - and in that same way, raising a 610 to a 650+ is far easier than raising a 560 to a 650+. With just 1.5 weeks to go, it's difficult to define exactly what you need to focus on in the Verbal section. That having been said, what you would need to work on in the Quant section IS definable. With a Q41/Q39, you're making lots of little mistakes as you work through the Quant section AND you're missing out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. If you've taken either of these CATs before, then your score results are likely 'inflated.'

All things considered, I suggest that you push back your Test Date. You could still potentially apply for Round 2 - and if you don't score in the 'competitive range' for the Schools that you're interested in, you would still have time to continue studying, work on your applications and apply for Round 3.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes I guess I do need to consider pushing my date especially due to my Quants Score as you mentioned.

I also have double thoughts of still going ahead with my exam and booking another one 30 days after. (Just to see if I get lucky in the upcoming Test, if not- I'll consider it as the Highest Accuracy Mock :grin: )

I have been considering Round 3 pretty seriously now, but I guess the underlying problems of being an International Applicant and applying to an already 90% filled class are very persistent, but I have no option but to take my chances.

Thanks,
Arijit
Just gave the Free Mock of Veritas.

Scored: 590 (Q:42, V:29) - such a disaster !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi arijit2,

Your Quant Scaled Score on this CAT shows your consistency in that section of the Test - and your Verbal Scaled Score seems to point to a general 'ability level' in the high V20s (as opposed to the mid-V30s, and that one CAT result might be based on some 'luck'). All things considered, since there's no evidence that you'll hit 650+ on your current upcoming Test Date, you should consider pushing it back. There's certainly no harm in taking the Exam as scheduled (but you'll almost certainly end up paying to retake it later - which will cost you another $250).

None of this addresses your actual "needs" as a Test Taker. You're still missing out on the same opportunities in the Quant section as before (silly mistakes and 'strategy-based' points). In the Verbal section, it's likely that you're 'narrowing down the answers to 2 choices and "guessing"' far too often. It's worth noting that that isn't a great strategy to begin with; mathematically speaking, you'll end up getting about half of the questions wrong with that approach (and you're not likely to score at a high level by working in that way).

Rich
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your suggestion. I might have to go ahead with the test because postponing at this point will still cost me $250.
Yes, I am aware that I will not be able to hit 650+ , 600+ will be an achievement in it's self if I can.

I will take up another test after a month from now on and hope R3 is not too late to secure an admission.

I have also noticed that I'm usually running out of time in the Verbal Section (Last 10 questions)and I need to guess a few quickly and move on - I need to work on this.
For Quants, I've noticed that I'm usually blank in some of the questions - I don't know how to do them. I need to work on this as well by practicing more.

I hope given a month of time frame from now on and R3 Zone, I'm able to get a 650+ and still secure something.

Thanks,
Arijit
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
arijit2 wrote:
I have also noticed that I'm usually running out of time in the Verbal Section (Last 10 questions)and I need to guess a few quickly and move on - I need to work on this.
You probably already know this, but it is usually better to guess at regular intervals (not all in one go). All the best for the exam.
AjiteshArun wrote:
arijit2 wrote:
You probably already know this, but it is usually better to guess at regular intervals (not all in one go). All the best for the exam.

Thanks Ajitesh,

Will try to follow this.

You got 780 on GMAT? WoW !
GMAT Club Bot