GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 23:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Low GPA from Canadian university

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: AGSM '15
Low GPA from Canadian university  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 21:37
Hey guys, I am a graduate from a canadian univetsity, one of the schools the has the toughest grading system e.g. McGill, U of T.

I am quite concerned due to my low gpa which is 3.2.
First Year: 3.7
Second Year: 2.08 with an F, C+, B-s, 3.3
Third Year: 3.2
Fourth Year: 3.2

My gmat score is 730 and I am a Canadian CPA working at PwC’s audit department.

I am planning to apply to MBA programs in both US and England. What are my chances to get into top 20 or Oxbridge?

Will the admissio committee take into consideration that I am from one of the toughest school from Canada that gives really low grades?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge
Low GPA from Canadian university  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 08:15
Hi gofhddl94,

I have not given GMAT yet but had discussion with my admission counselor in India and had discussion how they evaluate GPA to consider for admission, she told me your GPA is one of the 5 or 6 parameters on which they judge you. For GPA comparison with other applicant they also review from which university you have completed your studies.

Also would like to highlight that they consider all this just to decide whether they should invite you for an interview or not. I went to one event where I met few admission directors who told me that many time the persons who is/are taking your interview do not have information about to your GMAT and GPA score so they do not judge you on the basis of that and they can judge you on the basis of your essay and your performance in the interview.

I don't have an information about rest of your questions hence not commenting on that part.

Hope it helps.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and help me to learn :-)
RC Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Low GPA from Canadian university  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 08:52
Hello gofhddl94 .... welcome to the community.

My 2 cents :
i. GPA exhibits your past academic achievement. More specifically, it shows your intellectual capability and probability of success in the forth coming course rigor.
ii. If you have high GMAT .. you already have compensated a lot in terms of low GPA.
iii. Moreover, GPA from a valued university/school (s) has more weightage than the lower valued ones.

I believe you are already in good shape and can apply to all of the top programs. Just concentrate on application :) .

All the best !!
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Low GPA from Canadian university  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 17:44
The adcom does know which schools tend to grade "harder" than others & will take that into consideration, although your GPA will still be considered a bit on the low end even for a "hard" school. The adcom will likely be curious to know what happened in your second year to cause the big dip in GPA so depending on your answer I'd consider potentially using the optional essay to address that (and to highlight the fact that your 3rd & 4th year and your work experience are better representations of your ability). It's good that it happened in year 2 & that you showed improvement afterwards, and your GMAT score will definitely help compensate as well. It will of course be important to point to your achievements at work and to have some strong recommenders who can vouch for your abilities. All of that said, I think you definitely still have a shot at top 20/Oxbridge even with the low GPA!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Low GPA from Canadian university

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado