Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: Oxford"20 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Re: Low GPA Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
jsheppa wrote:
Hi All,

This is probably early for me to be soliciting feedback, but since I have a big hurdle to overcome, I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time.

I'm 32, ~10 years of work experience. For 6 years I was a self-employed commodity trader at the Chicago Board of Trade trading futures and options. I then shifted into the tech world where I was an Account Manager for a very major tech company where I worked with other major players in the tech landscape. I can easily demonstrate growing responsibility and international exposure. My resume can show that I busted my ass the minute I graduated.

My letters of recommendation will be recent, glowing, and one will come from a prior manager. They're great writers and can attest to my work ethic, growing responsibility, and again, international exposure to the tech landscape.

I have not yet taken the GMAT. My recent practice exam gave me a 630. I am shooting for a 720-740, and I know I can reach that. I will not stop until I do. I've been improving, and I know where my weaknesses are. The only reason I haven't hit a 720 yet is that I just have not yet covered everything I need to know. With enough time and practice, I will get that range.

That big hurdle I mentioned? A 2.65 GPA from a decent enough but far from ivy league school. The reason? I partied instead of studying. I was in a major I had no interest in (Biology.) I was alone and out of the house for the first time ever so I played video games, drank, joined a fraternity, etc. Frankly it's shocking I did as well as I did. Toward the end I kind of got my act together and switched to a Finance major. My grades still suffered because I still had not studied a day in my life. I think my final semesters were about 2.8-3.0. But the damage had been done.

That was over 10 years ago. I'm a hard worker. I'm a respected employee and I have the resume to prove it. I'm hoping that a high GMAT score will tell the story that I can excel academically.

My #1 school right now is Oxford Said. FT ranks them at 33. Economist at 75. So this isn't me having dreams of A top 5 program. This is me being realistic. Not only that - it honestly does fit what I am looking for in a school. 1 year program outside of the US that still has some name recognition and pays attention to the tech world. I also love that it gives a nod to social justice and focuses a lot of its courses on business ethics.

I know there is a sliver of hope of getting in here, and I know I have to be top notch on everything outside of my GMAT. So my question is this - before I dump more time into the GMAT, more money into prep, and even thinking about hiring an admissions consultant, will an adcom even open my application when they see my GPA?

Appreciate the thoughts!

Three important points:
1) Your GPA was 10 years ago, and will be weighed much less now.
2) You showed progression in your final year will work positively for you..
3) Get good GMAT scores; The scores are acknowledged as fair predictors of how you perform in school.

A good GMAT score, good WE, good EC and a good story to connect it all.
Feel free to discuss further.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Low GPA Profile Evaluation [#permalink]